IP address wrong location

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IP address wrong location

The GCL thing is one thing.. they should be using a geoip database, which is then correct to what the IP addresses with rogers actually is.   I agree that should be 100% fixable on their end.

That's all I care about and it's laughable that they don't have control over a service that they provide. Why are they allowing themselves to be beholden to a technology they cannot troubleshoot or fix? It's ridiculous. 

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Intimidator wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

I reached out to some of my contacts to identify who is their geo-location provider so that we can update them with the relevant information. I am waiting to hear back and will provide an update once I hear back.

Will this update be done for all of the problem IPs?  Or, will you need us to send you our IPs and you'll only be fixing those ones?

My earlier question to you about changing IPs in order to get one that is correct.  In your opinion given your position and understanding of how things actually function, would that work?  Or, in your opinion is there a very good chance that it isn't possible to end up with an IP that is correct right off the bat?

For NHL, the case mentionned in this thread are from Ottawa. Therefore, once I have a proper contact, I will make a reasonnable effort to identify all the IP blocks that we use in Ottawa and provide them to the NHL geo-location provider.

With regards to changing IP, it really depends. On your specific CMTS, there might be 10 IP blocks defined, typically from 2-3 larger blocks. If you were to change IP, you could end up in the same block (it is random) or in a different one. What I don't know is how many of these blocks are tagged to a wrong location.

The same way as geo-providers don't make it easy for ISPs to provide updates (no standard), they don't make it easy for us to bulk check their records to consistency. Because I have a specific region (Ottawa) and a specific service (NHL) to work with, I'll try to get this one fully covered.

Someone needs to write submit a RFC at the IETF to provide a solution and a standardized data exchange format for ISPs to update and query geo-location providers.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks RogersDave...

I understand its out of Rogers control for the most part, just sucks being stuck in that hole.  As I mentioned its too bad there wasn't a manual override as MLB.TV used to do in the past for customers but if there is one thing the link I posted showed this wasn't a new issue or unique to Rogers.

I must admit I was shocked to see the one DB provider list the IP as a Rogers IP but out of Vancouver.  I suppose it could have been used for wireless but Rogers Cable doesn't have a presence out west, its Shaw territory...  🙂

I actually got a reply back from my email to the IP GeoDB admins that had me in Mississauga and the correction will be made by End of Month so we'll see...  there are plenty of Geo IP DBs, no telling if that is the one NHL.TV uses.

Network Architect
Network Architect

Hello Community,

I just wanted to provide a quick update on this situation. I managed to prepare a exhaustive documentation for the 2475 IP blocks that we use for residential Internet service and I have reached out to the following 5 geo-location providers to provide them a bulk update:

• IP2Location
  • Ipinfo.io
  • EurekAPI
  • DB-IP
  • MaxMind

As soon as each of the above provider gets back to me with the process and expected data format to perform a bulk update, I will send them an official request. If there are other geo-location providers that you would want me to reach out to, let me know and I will find the necessary contacts.

I am also in touch with MLB Advanced Media who manages Game Centre Live on behalf of NHL to ensure that their records are correct.

Dave

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave wrote:

I just wanted to provide a quick update on this situation. I managed to prepare a exhaustive documentation for the 2475 IP blocks that we use for residential Internet service and I have reached out to the following 5 geo-location providers to provide them a bulk update:

Hi RogersDave,

Will my problematic IP be included in that group or 2475?   Or, is that only ones in the Ottawa area?   If you'd like me to tell you my IP so you could double check, that's not a problem.

I've Been Around

This answer is not helpful whatsoever, it does not provide a solution.
Network Architect
Network Architect

All IPs that Rogers uses for Residential High-Speed Internet were included in the updates to the various geo-location providers.

In the case of NHL, they confirmed to me that they made some updates but I beleive all updates will be completed this week-end.

Nevertheless, if there was an issue in the last few days or in the coming days, in order to troubleshoot further I will require the following information: game date, teams and your city.

Dave

I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the EXACT same problem. Have probably spoken to a dozen people from Rogers, ticket has been open since October. 

I can't view any of the Habs regional games as my location seems to be Riverside, NB on all my devices at home.

As a result, those games are all blacked out. I live in Toronto lol.

Insanely frustrating...

I've Been Here Awhile

My problem suddenly disappeared about three weeks after I posted. I suppose yours will be resolved at some point. In the meantime its a pain.

I've Been Around

I'm having issues with Vancouver Canucks games being blacked out even though I live in Calgary. I've dealt with this issue for two seasons now and have had nothing resolved after countless calls with Rogers/Telus. I've gotten a new router installed as well. This is only an issue at my home (not work or my parent's house), and on most of my devices. My iPad will always work correctly (watch van, black out edm/cgy). My Apple TV does not work (blackout van, watch edm/cgy), my xboxone does not work and my phone works intermittenly.

I'm confident that after 1.5 seasons 'giving it some time' isn't going to correct jack with my situation.

edit: only one IP address lookup has me in Burnaby, BC...every other one on google shows Calgary.

Sounds like bad luck, the one IP that shows Burnaby screws me over with the only team I purchased this product to watch...couldn't have put me in Toronto or MTL...

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats