I have the SMC gateway, looking to use it as modem only, anyone know how?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the SMC gateway, looking to use it as modem only, anyone know how?

I have a DIR-655 I currently use as my router. I got a year old pre-purchased SMC gateway from a friend who has switched to bell. This is a Rogers issue SMC gateway, and was purchased by my friend from Rogers(not rented).

I am on extremeplus and have no upgraded my old Motorola surfboard modem since the new speeds. I stream a lot, and with the new upload speeds coming, I want to switch out my older modem with the SMC gateway.

However, I want to keep my DIR-655 as the router. How do I put the SMC router into bridge mode? Can I do it myself, do I need to call Rogers and have them remote in?

The way my setup works now is this. Modem > DIR-655 > Cheap switch in the basement.

The DIR-655 provides wireless internet, and internet to the two computers in the room it's in. A cat6 cable then runs to a cat 6 jack in the wall, which sends everything down stairs. An inexpensive 10/1000 switch is plugged into this, receiving it's signal from the DIR-655 upstairs. The switch then provides internet to a computer in the basement.

I want to keep this setup, but replace the modem with the SMC, without the SMC messing up the chain, just acting as a modem only.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: I have the SMC gateway, looking to use it as modem only, anyone know how?

I have a DIR-655 and the SMC too (had to switch from my good old Webstar when I went from Express to Extreme.)  To put it in bridge mode I had to phone Rogers tech support and they did something on their end to put it in bridge mode (I have no idea if I could have done that myself, since there was no manual that came with it.)  The call took under 5 minutes, so it's pretty straightforward.

I Plan to Stick Around

search the forum, the tech login is somewhere here. You can disable wireless, then disable commercial functions with that login yourself. Or if you feel like putting up with the phone call, they could do it too like the previous poster said.
I'm a Senior Advisor

The way I did it was to call rogers tech support, took a couple min. Also make sure to ask to turn off the wireless as well as they didn't for me when I asked for bridge mode. With the cisco model turning into bridge mode does both at once.
I Plan to Stick Around

A friend of mine has SMC modem/router combo and when they got it they mistakenly hit the "commercial default" check mark and had a Rogers tech fix it.  So when I was over there I was going to shut off the wireless and just make it a modem so they could use their own router (we all know how dismal the SMC one is) and when I tried to login to the router with the Rogers user name the password wouldn't work, I know it because I did it on my own modem/router.  Could the Rogers tech have changed the password when they were on there? 

Retired Moderator RogersAdrian
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

For future references, You would need to bridge the SMC gateway in order to work fine with your router. That would disable both the wireless and the router functions on the gateway. Here is how you can do that:

1. Directly connect an Ethernet cable from the modem to the computer.
    Open a web browser and enter the following address to access the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1.
    1. Login with:
    2. Username: cusadmin
  • Password: password
  1. Click System located on the top left hand corner.
  2. Check the Disable All Residential Gateway Functions box and click Apply, then OK.
    1. After the settings have been saved, the modem will restart. 
    2. Once the modem is online, plug your router into port one.

While in bridged mode, only port one will be active on the gateway.
      Note: If you want to put the modem back into gateway mode, factory reset the modem by pressing the reset button on the back for more than 10 seconds.

Hope this will come in handy.