I am receiving Mailer Daemon notifications for undelivered emails I didn't send

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

All of a sudden I received 20 plus Mailer Daemon emails in my Rogers mailbox this morning advising me that either the email could not be delivered or that it has been quarantined....but I didn't send any emails and don't recognize any of the email addresses.  I called Rogers and they verified that none of our Rogers email accounts have been hacked, I don't see any unknown emails in my "sent" folders, so am I to assume that someone is "spoofing" (if that is the correct term) my Rogers email address?  Rogers agent suggested that I seek the services of a computer tech to look at my devices (Mac laptop and Rogers Blackberry Z10).  Greatly appreciate any suggestions/input regarding what I should do.  Thank you!

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: I am receiving Mailer Daemon notifications for undelivered emails I didn't send

Hello, @MMM2016

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. It's good to know that your email accounts are not compromised. It's possible somebody using your email address in "From" field to send out mass emails. There is also a strong possibility that a malware is sending out emails from your computer. 

You may want to power off your computer for some time and see if those notifications will stop. 

@Gdkitty - any more thoughts?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: I am receiving Mailer Daemon notifications for undelivered emails I didn't send

Only if its directly using the ROGERS service.. would it show up in your own SENT folders, etc.

So likely 1 of 2 options.

A)  Virus or malware of some form on the PC.. that is using its OWN mailer out.. but taking from the machine possibly the address book if present there..

B) More likely, as mentioned.. that its just being SPOOFED.
Putting in the display address, reply address, etc as YOUR email address.. even though its coming from a completely different address and server.
Any BAD addresses, you would get the rejections for it.

I've Been Here Awhile

All morning I am receiving tons and tons of Mailer Daemon emails in my Rogers mailbox this morning advising me that either the email could not be delivered....but I didn't send any emails and don't recognize any of the email addresses.  Even when i report as spam, etc, still getting them.  At least every 30 min I get another batch of these bounce backs, over and over and over.  Anyone else having this problem?  Please help!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As per my reply above..

One of two things.

A) your email itself has been hacked and they are using it to send out junk from.   You would be best to change your email password, just to be safe one way or the other.
Now, if you do this, you will have to make those changes/update it on any client you may have your email on (outlook on PC, phones, etc)

B) someone may just be SPOOFING with your address.  Putting in your email address as the 'sender' and reply to.. even though thats not where its actually coming from.  Any bad replies, you would possibly be getting the bounce back replies from.