Hybrid 250 and CGN3ROG

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Hybrid 250 and CGN3ROG

I own a modem cisco DPC3825 that works with the hybrid 60 and I want to change to hybrid 250. Rogers is telling me I have to use the CGN3ROG.  Is this the only modem that will work with the hybrid 250?

Futureshop and the best buy both have it for $199.99 Seems quite expensive to me.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hybrid 250 and CGN3ROG

Yes, that is the only modem that rogers has qualified to run at the higher rates.  Keep your eyes open for sales at Bestbuy as that modem does go on sale for $150 every so often.  And you might receive a gift card with that as well.  Keep in mind that your monthly rate will go down as well.  I believe its either $8 or $12. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for that info.

Rogers took over from shaw in Hamilton and had me swap out a modem that I owned for a modem that worked with their Hybrid 150 then charged me a rental fee. All the while the modem I had was working fine, though I don't think it was hybrid fibre. 

Long story short they made good and waived the $8.00 fee for the modem.

The difference between hybrid 60 + unlimited data and hybrid 250 with 500GB is about $5.00    

Rogers refused to waive the CGN3ROG fee or swap the modem they gave me for the CGN3ROG.

Which is why I made the enquiry. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What did Rogers give you for a modem,  the Hitron CGN3 without the fee?  The difference is the number of downstream channels that each modem supports.  To run 150 Mb/s or higher on the Rogers network, Rogers permits the DOCSIS 3.0 CGN3 only, which is capable of 24 downstream and 8 upstream channels.  That permits 960Mpbs down although obviously Rogers does not offer rates that high.  The CGN2 only runs 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels for a maximum of 300 Mbps down. The DPC-3825 also runs 8 channels down and 4 up for a maximum of 340 Mb/s down and 120 Mb/s up. 

Although the lower tier modems can run high data rates, at least fast enough to support the 150 to 250 Mb/s download rates, you would end up with possible / probable channel congestion, running those rates on 8 channels down versus the 20 that the CGN3 currently uses.  At this point, you are in the realm of network planning and implementation and load balancing at the node level. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers gave me the cisco DPC3825.

The system I was on before with Shaw which Rogers took over was not hybrid fibre and that is why they made me switch. 

Do you believe the Hitron CGN3 will be around for a while and is worth purchasing. 

Thanks for all your knowledge!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hope it will be around for a while.  I bought one on sale from Bestbuy. 

The only hiccup in the plan are the number of customers reporting data downloads that can run into the hundreds of gigabits with the CGN3 and the CGN2.  Those amounts have no reasonable explanation.  The initial company reaction for the most has been "you must have a virus, or you're running torrents, or netflix".  There are numerous posts of that nature in this forum and others.  Customers have been successful in having the overages rolled back, and some end up on unlimited plans, at least temporarliy while the techs attempt to sort out what the problem is.  This problem is ongoing however, and there seems to be no long term resolution in sight. 

My advice, and same from other REs is to swap the modem on the theory of MAC address cloning, which allows someone else to download data, with your MAC address ending up as the billed modem.  Owning your own CGN3 might throw a kink into that plan, but I haven't seen a case such as that yet. 

So, all I can do at the present time is warn prospective CGN3 owners of this particular situation.

Just to note, the term hybrid fibre is really a marketing term more than anything else.  Unless you have Fibre to the Home, which Rogers is trialing, your "last mile" to your home, so to speak is copper cabling.  All ISPs these days run data via high capacity fibre systems, but, without a significant investment to replace the existing street infrastructure, it will remain copper for a long time to come.  Modem companies have made advancements in terms of the data transmission methods which has pushed up the capability to run higher data rates over copper.  The next generation modem, DOCSIS 3.1 will allow 10 Gbit/s downstream and 1 Gbit/s upstream.  This is currently undergoing testing in the U.S.  The one thing to remember is that in order to take advantage of those rates for the last mile, some portions of the supporting network would probably require physical upgrading.  So, its going to be an interesting future, but its going to take a while to arrive.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Datalink to the rescue.. always seems to beat me to these threads latey 🙂

As he mentioned.. the NETWORK itself has not much changed.. its been fibre (or upgrade to fibre) for quite a while.. up unitil the last few miles.
They really just changed the name to combat bell FIBE (which people SEEM to thing is TRUE fibre but its not, it still just fibre up till the CO, then copper to your house)

Not knowing what your OLD modem was.. it could have been a Docsis3 modem (lesser channels) or even could have been a docsis 2.
The docsis 2 modems were single channel.. these are what in the end as more and more people sarted getting high speed in an area.. got slowdowns at busy times.. its like EVEYONE trying to use a one lane road at the same time.

Introducing the D3's.. they are multi channel... more lanes.. so less chance of congestion.

When you get up to the 150+ packages.. is where even the 4-8 channel might not be enough.  
Rumor has it, that SHAW is stoping its 150+ plans.. because of this.. (as they are NOT integrating a higher channel modem).

With the CGN3.. its one of the FEW 24 channel modem.. allowing the mose fredom of channels to avoid congestion.

That there are only.. 3, maybe 4 24 channel modems on the market right now.. i dont see them moving away from them any time soon.
(unless suddenly EVERYONE was getting FTTH)

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again! That is a ton of knowledge.

I realize the term "hybrid fibre" is just a marketing term and they really pushed hard to change me from my "extreme unlimited" package saying I could not go back once I changed. They talked me into a package with a promo code U19 with a price of $103/month. That price has changed every month and every month I call to see what is going on. Of course they would not put back to what I originally had, they said that it was grandfathered in and I had lost it. My package "deal" is currently about $180.00 The promo also included a Nextbox 3 rent to own which is not compatible with the Hamilton system and I never got it.  I feel Rogers scammed me.

Ever since Rogers took over I have had problems, my internet speed seems to drop all the time and my cable freezes and pixilates. They have changed all the inside cable (made no difference) and ran a new temp line from their box which has made it 90% better.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Out of curiosity, can you log into your modem when you have time, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those tables include the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios, among other details.  If you are still having problems with your cable services, those tables might hold some explanation of what is going on.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't remember the name or model of the old modem. 

Shaw made me purchase it for $100.00 in order to use their 100mbps speed.

A online tech said that the old modem would have work and there was no reason to change it.

I called to complained about my speed then found out Rogers took over and didn't offer 100 and put me on 60.

Then the problems started. Lol.