Hybrid 150 still not up to what's promised

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Hybrid 150 still not up to what's promised

Well, I've been on here before to sort of vent and get advice regarding my internet speeds.

After signing upo for the Hybrid 150 plan, I was impressed at the speeds I got (150 or higher) then it dropped to almost 1/3 of what's promised. (54mbps average). I posted away on here and had great advice.

Essentially, I got many opinions such as bridge my gateway, get a tech out to check the lines for which I followed.

I've called many times to Rogers to get a solution, all of which came back it was MY fault for the bridge and tampering with their set-up. So I switched it back, had a tech check it all out and still, nothing more than 60-65 mpbs.

So again, I call to ask for assistance.

NOW, because of the new IGNITE plans, I may be out-of-luck. Either I pay more and switch and go through the whole process again, or stick with what I have and suffer. As it stands now, I just ran a speed test and it came back at 74mbps/16 up. The one thing I'm very confused about is that throughout this entire process, my upload speeds have benn bang on. Promised 15mbps, have stayed at that (+/-1or2). 

I'm at a loss.

I had such issues with the CGN3 that I bridged it to my Apple Airport (2007) which has a range and can handle the wi-fi better than the CGN3 hands down, plus it never drops a connection like the CGN3 did. I switched it when Rogers pointed their finger at me, but switched it back. Donload speeds are up but ever so slightly.

What advice does the community have for me?? From what I've read, the new IGNITE plans are not at all appealing.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hybrid 150 still not up to what's promised

The new plans are a bit of a switch.. the 60 plans give MORE than what the previously did.

The 100 plan... is a DROP download speed wise, from the 150 hybrid plan.. but they are giving unlimited usage, instead of the capped usage before.
But thats seperate..

All in all.. lets start fresh and get ALL the details again.

Bridge/no bridge.. whoever you talked to at rogers is wrong.  There is nothing wrong with it, MANY users do, and with NO issues and full speed.
But lets look at stuff without it, for now.

- Which modem do you have?
- How are you connecting to it? (wired/wireless)

- what are the CARD MODELS of the wired/wireless you are connecting to it with.

- Can you post the SIGNAL levels again for us as they are now.

- How/where are you doing the speed test.  (what site, and then what endpoint server... also your rough location would help too)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: RE: Hybrid 150 still not up to what's promised

When you have the modem in Gateway mode and log in to copy the DOCSIS WAN downstream and upstream tables for us, can you also run a speedtest as well.  Please run a wired test on both http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html and on www.speedtest.net Toronto Telus server and post the results as well.  Hopefully we'll see something like 195 Mb/s down, 16 (?) Mb/s up.  If I remember correctly that plan is 150 down, 15 up.  In Bridge mode, you should see the exact same wired rates through your router.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@karl_kennedy wrote:

NOW, because of the new IGNITE plans, I may be out-of-luck. Either I pay more and switch and go through the whole process again, or stick with what I have and suffer. As it stands now, I just ran a speed test and it came back at 74mbps/16 up. The one thing I'm very confused about is that throughout this entire process, my upload speeds have benn bang on. Promised 15mbps, have stayed at that (+/-1or2). 

I don't see how the new plans affect this in the slightest: there is no reason you should have to switch plans to resolve a technical problem. 

As for the 100 vs the old 150, my view is that the old 150 is a better deal i) if your bandwidth usage is relatively low, or ii) you bought your CGN3 (you get a discount with the HF plans for buying a modem, not with the ignite plans). I've certainly kept my 150/550GB plan... 

What hardware have you run when bridged? Only a 2007-era Apple Airport? Maybe it's time to consider a modern router (everyone here loves the Asus RT-AC68U). But before we go there: are you having these problems with wired clients, or only wireless?

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd be interested to know whether you are on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band.  I find that my speeds on 2.4Ghz are quite slower vs. 5Ghz.  It's not something you realize until you make the jump to 5Ghz just how bad/congested the 2.4Ghz band can be which can affect speeds.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hwaiting wrote:

I'd be interested to know whether you are on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band.  I find that my speeds on 2.4Ghz are quite slower vs. 5Ghz.  It's not something you realize until you make the jump to 5Ghz just how bad/congested the 2.4Ghz band can be which can affect speeds.

Totally this.

At work we use pretty expensive Cisco APs through a controller.  On there there is an option for a thing called clean air.  Its a analyser for the wireless spectrums.   This blows even stuff like inSSIDer out of the water.  It will show up anything that shows up using that frequency.
It picks up ALL of the wireless headsets we use in the office (uses same tech as 2.4 cordless phones).  If you monitor it durring lunch, you even have it pick up the MICROWAVES from the lunch room running.

I'm an Advisor

karl_kennedy:

I'm also on the Hybrid 150/15 plan. I have a purchased CGN3 and bridge it to an Asus RT-AC68U router. My PC connection is wired to the Asus and I get a consistent 194-200mbps download speed on Rogers speed test. In the real world, on sites like Steam and Origin, I actually get download speeds in the 220-235mbps range. My only wireless device is an iPhone 4S, which gets downloads in the low to high 40mbps range. Before I got the Asus router, my iPhone downloads were in the low to high 20mbps range.

As per VivienM's opinion, I'm sticking with the Hybrid 150/15 plan because it's a better deal than the Ignite plans and I get a 550GB monthly allowance. I watch a lot of Netflix and have never used even half of it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry everyone. I've been super busy that I haven't had time to deal with my internet speeds.

So, I want to access the gateway but I can't seem to connect to it.

I know it's because it's in bridge mode right now and I want to know how to connect using an ethernet cable.

Do I just access it plugging it in to a second port?? I bought a Cat 6 Patch Cable.

Not going so well. Uggh.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, with firmware version 4.2.4.5, which is the current version, you no longer have the ability to connect to the modem using 192.168.100.1 in Bridge mode or Gateway mode.   Intentionally, or unintentionally, this login ability was removed in this version.  So, if you wanted to look at your Docsis Wan signal levels for example, you have to flip the modem back into Gateway mode, then log into it and navigate to the STATUS......DOCSIS WAN page.  And when you are done, flip back to Bridge mode.

When the modem is in Bridge mode you can obtain a second IP address apparently.  However, one of the mods has indicated previously that the connection or modem becomes unstable after using the second port for a period of time.

I Plan to Stick Around

ugghhh Seriously???

What a pain. OK, well my dilema iis how to switch it back to gateway??

Before, I had no cable so I had to call Rogers. Do I just plug the cable in and hi the reset for 30 seconds???