How to tell the Difference between Hitron CGN3 & Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem (Advanced Wi-Fi vs Rocket)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How to tell the Difference between Hitron CGN3 & Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem (Advanced Wi-Fi vs Rocket)

Hi,

After changing my plan, I was told to attend my local store and exchange my "Advanced Wi-Fi" modem for a "Rocket" Modem.  I subsequently attended, and traded my CGN3 modem for..... another CGN3 modem.  Both modems have the identical model numbers on the back.  I questioned why I was getting the same modem, and was told the firmware is upgraded.  Can someone with a rocket modem confirm for me what the model numbers on the back SHOULD read for the Rocket modem.  I have a feeling  I was "upgraded" to the same modem I traded in.

***Edited Labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How to tell the Difference between Hitron CGN3 & Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem (Advanced Wi-Fi vs Rocke

Your title describes it.

Advanced is CGN3.

Rocket is anything that has something after the CGN3, i.e CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR

The ACSMR is the one that is the most common though. It's whatever the one has the Rogers logo on the front, along with "ac"

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to tell the Difference between Hitron CGN3 & Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem (Advanced Wi-Fi vs R

@misc9700 wrote:

Hi,

After changing my plan, I was told to attend my local store and exchange my "Advanced Wi-Fi" modem for a "Rocket" Modem.  I subsequently attended, and traded my CGN3 modem for..... another CGN3 modem.  Both modems have the identical model numbers on the back.  I questioned why I was getting the same modem, and was told the firmware is upgraded.  Can someone with a rocket modem confirm for me what the model numbers on the back SHOULD read for the Rocket modem.  I have a feeling  I was "upgraded" to the same modem I traded in.

***Edited Labels***

@misc9700

What plan are you on? if you are on an unlimited plan (100u or higher) you can swap to the CODA 4582 Modem which is much better than the CGN 3 series modems. However if you are stuck with a CGN 3 series modem, then get the CGN3ACSMR, it's the best out've the 3 versions.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: How to tell the Difference between Hitron CGN3 & Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem (Advanced Wi-Fi vs R

I went from 60 Mbs 200 GB to 75 Mbs 500 GB.  I was swapping out a DTA as I had made changes in my cable due to end of contract and upgrade in Internet came from changes - the store told me to bring in my older CGA (not one of the suggested three mentioned above), and they gave me the white CODA modem - latency improved dramatically about 75% decline with the switch.  Signal strengths and percentage speeds over the purchased levels for download are similiar and upload are the same.

I was able to use my SamKnows reports to see exactly how much the changes were as well as looking at the signal strengths from admin screens.

Nice change.

I had not changed modems in over 3 years.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

I am on the 150U plan.  So how do I initiate the upgrade? Call the 1-800 number or just attend my local store.  Will there be a charge to upgrade?

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @misc9700,

Just to provide some insight here, the Ignite 150u is eligible for the CODA-4582 upgrade at no extra fee or rental cost. However, I'd recommend in phoning ahead of time to ensure they have them in stock. You can find a list of the nearest Rogers retail stores to you, here Smiley Happy

As you're likely aware, if in stock, you'll just have to bring your current modem, power adaptor, along with a form of identification and they can process the exchange.

Hope this helps.

RogersCilio

I've Been Here Awhile

I've been to the Roger's Store to exchange my CGN3 modem and was upsold to the new "Rocket" modem. Along with that I was upgraded to the 250Gb plan. What I received was another CGN3 modem. I asked if there was any difference. The employee didn't seem to know. She brought out another one, and said this must be, because it's new. I checked the model on it, and it was also just a CGN3. I assumed it was some internal change, so took it. I went home and checked online for a difference, and low and behold, they are different. I phoned Rogers and spent 45 minutes on the phone asking whether this modem is a "Rocket" modem. I was told that it should have ACR after the CGN3. It doesn't! So, she looked up my account further, and claimed that "yes, it's a Rocket modem". I said, are you sure? She said yes. I didn't want to argue, so I said thanks. I don't care now what the difference is, if any. I am just upset at being sold something that isn't. And to be told it is, is like pissing on my shoes and telling me it's raining. Any opinions welcome. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All of the CGN3xxxx modems look identical.  The only way to determine the difference is to look at the product sticker at the back of the modem.  What you're looking for is a CGN3ACxxx modem as those modems are being updated faster than the basic CGN3 modem. There is a recent post that describes the updates to the CGN3ACxxx modem, just have to find it.  

This post contains the list of firmware updates for the various modem models:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/FEEDBACK-Rogers-Rocket-Wi-Fi-Modem-Firmware-Trial/td-p...

Here is the recent post regarding the last trial version update.  Take a read thru this post the the two posts that follow it:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/FEEDBACK-Rogers-Rocket-Wi-Fi-Modem-Firmware-Trial/m-p/...

You can request the trial firmware version if you so choose.  Just depends on what version you have presently loaded:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/406885#M48841

In your case, you would fill in the request with "Rocket Trial Firmware Request" instead of "CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request".

I've Been Here Awhile

Checked the sticker, no suffix after the CGN3.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, in that case you have the base model CGN3 modem.  That is still a good modem, but, the newer versions of that modem are being updated at a faster pace.  Eventually the CGN3 series modems should run a unified version, except for the addition of 802.11ac capability on the CGN3ACxxxx modem.  If you're running 802.11ac capable wifi devices, I for one would swap the modem for a CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552.  That might depend on your internet plan, but I suspect that you might be eligible for any of the CGN3xxx modems.  If you're running an unlimited internet plan, you would be eligible for the newest modem which is the CODA-4582.  This modem is DOCSIS 3.1 capable. 

Edit:  If you happen to be a gamer, then you should be requesting either the CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552.  All of the CGN3 series modems are Intel Puma 6 modem, which have or had latency issues.  This is a worldwide issue with these modems.  Rogers, Hitron and Intel started working on measures to rectify the latency issues around June 2016 and I hope at this point that we're starting to finally see the results of the work that Intel has done.  I'm running a 4582 so I won't have the opportunity to test those modems for latency.  

The Hitron CODA-4582 modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem, which does not suffer from the latency seen in the Puma 6 modems.  There are issues which are seen with these modems which include slower than expected data rates for some users and issues with modem to router connections, or at least that's what appears to be occuring at the present time.  I personally haven't seen any of those issues and I run the 4582 in Bridge mode with a follow on Asus router.