How to improve Asus RT-AC68U speeds in bridged mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: How to improve Asus RT-AC68U speeds in bridged mode

Hi,

I have the CODA-4582U in bridge mode and I have my Asus RT-AC68U connected to it.  I'm on the 500u plan and I've been getting about 300Mbps when I'm connected using the 5Ghz band on Wifi while still in the same room as the modem and router.  I then reset the modem and removed the router and connected the same device via Wifi to the CODA modem and got 400Mbps.  Anyone know why there would be a speed drop like this via the Asus Router? 

The modem and router are beside each other and I was standing right beside it when doing the test.

NOTE: I want to use the router as I am filtering on MAC addresses and that was already setup on the Asus router.  The Asus router is on the latest firmware and it's not using any custom firmware.  The CODA modem is on 2.0.10.28T2 firmware. How can I get the latest firmware for the modem?

Thanks!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Looks like after I wrote this, my modem got updated to 2.0.10.33T11. Still seeing the speed slowdown though using a router.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@croyd, the slow wifi rates might be due to a combination of the filtering in use by the router, wifi settings and your wifi environment.  For the wifi settings and environment, please have read thru the following post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

Although that post is aimed at the Hitron routers for their settings, those settings are equally applicable to routers. 

I have another post here somewhere which is very recent which goes into some of the details of the 68U, the previous NAT Acceleration and its new forms.  Don't want to have to retype it if I can avoid it.  Just have to find it, but, the short story, kill the filtering for test purposes, reboot the router and see what happens to the data rate. 

For the 500 and gigabit service, use the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  Second choice would be Toronto Beanfield or Montreal Fibrenoire.

Edit:  With the AI Protection enabled, firewall running, IPV6 disabled and wifi running, the 68U will top out around 900 to 910 Mb/s.  Enabling a number of functions such as QOS, filtering, and others will most likely disable Flow Cache (the old CTF also known at Nat Acceleration) and disable Runner (the old Flow Accelerator).  End result, your throughput drops.  Most likely, as with the old firmware, you will need Flow Cache up and running to see high throughput speeds.  Runner you can probably do without, and not see any untoward effects.  Biggest problem from what I can see is that Asus has dropped any indication of the Flow Cache and Runner status.  You would need to run Merlin's Asuswrt to regain the Flow Cache status I believe.  Disabling traditional QOS, filtering, etc, etc, and rebooting the router should probably return Flow Cache to an enabled state.  The throughput numbers will indicate whether or not its active. 

Whats your ethernet data rate thru the 68U?