How to improve Asus RT-AC68U speeds in bridged mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How to improve Asus RT-AC68U speeds in bridged mode

I recently changed to the 250/20 package.  I get about 320/11 speeds when connected directly to modem (Hitron CGN3).  When it's connected in bridge mode to the Asus RT-AC68U router, the speeds are 185/10.  How can I improve the router speeds?  I thought bridge mode wouldn't make a difference to the speeds?  Thanks for your help.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to improve Asus RT-AC68U speeds in bridged mode

Try this for starters.  Log into the modem and navigate to LAN....SWITCH CONTROL and ensure that the NAT Acceleration is set to AUTO.  This really is a poor name for this function as its real function is to enable or disable Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF).  The CTF is essentially data forwarding at the chip level, WAN IP address in, LAN IP address out.  It is designed to get the data to the end device as fast as possible using the fastest path possible.  However, the minute that you select some function, such as QOS, traffic monitoring and others, which requires processing by the router processor, you end up disabling CTF which then routes the data into the processor for some form of processing and finally out to the LAN IP address.  So you take a double hit, one for losing the CTF path, and the second for the processing time within the processor, all of which results in reduced throughput.  When you select a function somewhere in the interface, you might not see any warning of the CTF being disabled at that point.  So, that is the first thing to check. 

What you can also do is go through each page and disable or turn off each function that you are not using.  That is what I've done with my RT-AC68U.  Under the General Tab....AiProtection.....Network protection is all enabled.  Everything else under the General Tab is disabled or turned off.  I don't use QOS as I find the router fast enough that it doesn't have to analyze all the packets in order to determine which ones have priority.

Under the Advanced Settings, items that I am not using or not required for router protection is also turned off. 

Give that a go and let me know how it turns out.  If you're still having problems we'll take a closer look.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@augmentium wrote:

I recently changed to the 250/20 package.  I get about 320/11 speeds when connected directly to modem (Hitron CGN3).  When it's connected in bridge mode to the Asus RT-AC68U router, the speeds are 185/10.  How can I improve the router speeds?  I thought bridge mode wouldn't make a difference to the speeds?  Thanks for your help.

Is this with wireless or wired client devices?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Try this for starters.  Log into the modem and navigate to LAN....SWITCH CONTROL and ensure that the NAT Acceleration is set to AUTO.  This really is a poor name for this function as its real function is to enable or disable Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF).  The CTF is essentially data forwarding at the chip level, WAN IP address in, LAN IP address out.  It is designed to get the data to the end device as fast as possible using the fastest path possible.  However, the minute that you select some function, such as QOS, traffic monitoring and others, which requires processing by the router processor, you end up disabling CTF which then routes the data into the processor for some form of processing and finally out to the LAN IP address.  So you take a double hit, one for losing the CTF path, and the second for the processing time within the processor, all of which results in reduced throughput.  When you select a function somewhere in the interface, you might not see any warning of the CTF being disabled at that point.  So, that is the first thing to check. 

What you can also do is go through each page and disable or turn off each function that you are not using.  That is what I've done with my RT-AC68U.  Under the General Tab....AiProtection.....Network protection is all enabled.  Everything else under the General Tab is disabled or turned off.  I don't use QOS as I find the router fast enough that it doesn't have to analyze all the packets in order to determine which ones have priority.

Under the Advanced Settings, items that I am not using or not required for router protection is also turned off. 

Give that a go and let me know how it turns out.  If you're still having problems we'll take a closer look.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

AC68U Slow when modem in bridge mode

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my internet service. First some information for my devices:

Modem: CGN3ACSMR working in bridge mode.

Software Version 4.5.8.27

Package: 250u

Router: ASUS AC68U

Software Version: 3.0.0.4.380_7266

Problems:

My internet speed drops down dramatically (to 4~6 Mbps) after a few days through the wireless and wire from the ASUS router and I need to change the port which Asus router plugin in the Modem and the speed will grow up to the normal(300Mbps). But the situation comes out frequently and how could I fix it? Thank you very much!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AlbertJiang, can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy just the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables.  

Are you using a VPN every day?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since your Modem is in bridge mode, when the speeds become slow can you plug a computer directly into the modem while leaving the ASUS still connected. In Bridge mode the Modem will actually be able to hand out two ip addresses. With the other computer connected to the modem this will help determine if it's the ASUS Router slowing down, or a modem/Rogers issue.

If speeds are fast through the modem and slow through the Asus Router, then I would do a factory reset on the Asus Router.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, I've used the CGN3, CGN3ACSMR, CGNM-3552 and CODA-4582, all bridged with the RT-AC68U in full router mode and have never had any slow data rate issues beyond normal node congestion.  If I have any problems, my first thought is to look at the modem.  My 68U has never presented any problems and has never required a factory reset unless I run one during a firmware update. 

Now, having said that, I see that you're running V3.0.0.4.380_7266 on the 68U which is fairly recent.  Since you're running a recent update, consider running a factory reset, as suggested, or consider returning to the previous version for a few days to see if 7266 is the cause of the problem.  

The downloads for the 68u can be found here:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

You can download the previous version from that page, and manually load that version from the user interface on the router.  I would then reboot the modem and then run an Non-Volatile Ram clear.  To do that, turn off the 68U using the power button at the back of the modem.  Then, looking at the 68U from the back, depress the top left button on the left side of the 68U. That's the WPS button.  Keep the button depressed and turn on the 68U.  Keep the button depressed for 30 seconds and release.  That will initiate the NV ram clear and reboot the router.  You will have to reset the parameters unfortunately, but, running the previous version on the 68U will determine if the recent update to 7266 is the cause of the problem, or, potentially if the modem or any recent CMTS configuration changes are at fault.  You should know within two to three days what that answer might be. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When I connect a computer wired to the modem, speedtest give me a 300Mbps speed, which is ok. But if I unplug the computer and plugin to AC68U, the speedtest give me a 4~6Mbps. At that time, if I change the port which AC68U connect to the rogers modem, I will get the high speed.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And I don't use VPN. I already enable the HW accelerate.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, I just updated the firmware two days ago. But I found this problem a couple times before my update.