How to determine WAN-side IP address of my router?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How to determine WAN-side IP address of my router?

I would like to remotely determine the WAN-side IP address of my router. I was hoping I could log into my Rogers account and the details would be provided (so that I could FTP into my home network when away on vacation/business). Normally it doesn't change as long as I leave the router on, but in cases when there is a service outage or power failure, while I'm away, I can't tell the new WAN IP remotely. Anyone know how to do this?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: How to determine WAN-side IP address of my router?

Hello @Kyle12,

I don't know a way to do this. I am running splashtop and Team Viewer for access to my internal network (and my hitron modem, which provides the WAN IP address). 

Consider setting up one of these - they help access LAN resources with ease.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I stoped using my FTP, since i started using Teamviewer 🙂
Allows remote connection to the PC.. as well as file transfer to the PC.
(though this wont help, if the FTP is say on a network NAS, etc)

Unfortunately, that i know if, the external IP is not visible on the router..  only what its rogers network IP is.

You might have to check your IP before you go anywhere major.

GENERALLY, even after a modem reboot, etc, the rogers external IP doesnt change that often.. every 6 months, if not more.  I think i have been on the same one right now for almost 2 years.

I'm an Advisor

Hello Guys,

I believe this is the appropraite place to outline how to determine your WAN IP address.  To do this for the CGN3ROG or CGN3ACSMR:

Determine IP Address of hitron Modem

(Windows XP to Windows 10)

- Hold Windows key and press "R".  The Run box appears.

- Type cmd and press [enter].  A Command Prompt appears.

- Type ipconfig and press [enter].  Take note of the Default Gateway.

- Type exit to close the Command Prompt.

Determine Your WAN IP Address

(Any Operating System)

- Using your preferred web browser, visit the IP address noted in"Default Gateway",

above.

- The hitron login page appears.  Enter your username and password, then click Login.

- Scroll down and look for the WAN IP Address.

Team Viewer clients exist for Windows, Linux and Macintosh computers - when connected to a client (LAN) computer, use theese instructions to determine your public (WAN) IP address.

I hope this helps someone!

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks folks for the information, but I think the consensus is that this cannot be done remotely. I know how to do this when I'm on the same LAN as the router but since my NAS is the FTP server, I can just file share through Windows when I'm on the same LAN.

I'll admit, the WAN IP seldom changes - just need to keep my fingers crossed.

It would be ideal if we could access rogers.com, signin, and then through my modem details, see the WAN side IP - like when I'm 2000 miles away on vacation 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They probably want to keep that info as much private.. and NOT accesible as possible.

Just to keep it out of the hands of hackers, etc.. people trying to break in, etc.

Sure, people can just do scans.. try x.x.x.1, x.x.x.2, etc till they find one open, etc..

But if they can get lists of specific KNOWN used ones..  makes it that much easier.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Kyle12,

Agreed with @Gdkitty - WAN-side IP address of a router is valuable info for hackers, crackers, and other miscreants.

Give one of those remote sevices I mentioned a try; both Splashtop and TeamViewer have clients for your phone /tablet/laptop that allow you to connect remotely - no matter what your WAN-side IP address is.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, but as they mentioned.. its not a PC they are connecting to.. its a NAS type device.. so those are out 😞

Depending on the brand.. it MAY have something though?

I know my boss uses a QNAP one, which has its own connect app.. which i beleive connects out to their central server.. which then allows connectivity from anywhere?

I'm an Advisor

Yes, have played with QNAP before. I suggest that a client (Linux if you want to avoid additional license costs) be configured with TeamViewer and access to the NAS. 

For additional security, the Linux box can be a virtual machine hosted inside something free and cross-platform, like Virtual Box. This will allow access to the files stored on the NAS with a GUI front-end from anywhere.

The Linux VM does not need much memory or disk - and TeamViewer for Linux works well with Mint 17.3 (MATE edition) or Ubuntu. 

I hope this discussion helps you in considering alternative ways of getting at your files!

I'm an Advisor

Two thoughts:

1) Sign up for a dynamic DNS service. Ideally pick one that's directly supported by your router.

2) Rogers' DNS is in the format

CPE<MAC>-CM<MAC>.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

So, assuming you know the MAC address of your CPE (if in bridge mode, your router), and you know your cable modem's MAC address, then... you know what hostname will reach your IP.

(Put another way, even if your IP changes, if your cable modem/CPE MAC addresses don't change, you should still be reachable by the same hostname that your current IP resolves to)

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation