cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect USB HDD to network

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use my USB HDD (WD My Book) like a NAS with my XB7 and a spare router with USB ports. When I had the CODA modem, I used it in bridge mode and my own router had USB ports so I was able to just connect my USB HDD and use it across the local network.

Now that I'm using the XB7 as is, I miss having that NAS capability and I'd rather not have to go back to bridging.

Would connecting my USB HDD to my router and then connecting the router to one of the ethernet ports on the XB7 allow for that drive to be accessible across the network? I'm not network savvy enough to know whether it works like that or not.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to connect USB HDD to network

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

After some Googling and Youtubing, I was able to get my USB hard drive on the network using my old router (Netgear R7000).

I put my R7000 into AP mode (I turned off the radios since I didn't need it broadcasting). Then I hooked up the USB HDD to the R7000. Then I connected the R7000s WLAN port to the XB7 on Port 1 via ethernet.

Voila, I can access the USB HDD drive via the the IP address to the R7000 given by the XB7.

When I go into the R7000's router menu, I don't quite understand why it shows several devices on my network as being Wired connected to it (as these devices are connected wireless to the XB7). I hope it doesn't cause any problems though as everything seems to be working as is.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersMoin

Hello, @Hwaiting.

Thanks for being part of the Rogers Community; we are so glad you are here.

We have a few members who use storage devices. Since XB7 doesn't have USB ports and you don't want to bridge it, you can try your proposed solution and keep us posted.

Advanced users and resident experts in our Community can help troubleshoot if required.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

After some Googling and Youtubing, I was able to get my USB hard drive on the network using my old router (Netgear R7000).

I put my R7000 into AP mode (I turned off the radios since I didn't need it broadcasting). Then I hooked up the USB HDD to the R7000. Then I connected the R7000s WLAN port to the XB7 on Port 1 via ethernet.

Voila, I can access the USB HDD drive via the the IP address to the R7000 given by the XB7.

When I go into the R7000's router menu, I don't quite understand why it shows several devices on my network as being Wired connected to it (as these devices are connected wireless to the XB7). I hope it doesn't cause any problems though as everything seems to be working as is.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation