How to change the Public IP address?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to change the Public IP address?

@jaisonpanikar, if you're running a modem only, take the modem into the nearest Rogers store and swap it for the same modem, or higher modem model.  If you have a black CGN3xxxx modem, as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem, swap it for a CGN3ACSMR or a CGNM-3552.  If you have a white CODA-4582, then you should be able to swap that for another 4582.  

If the modem is running in Bridge mode and you are running a router behind it, you can clone another MAC address from one of the connected devices.  That should solve the problem instantly.

Fwiw, we've seen this come up every now and then.  For some reason an IP address is blacklisted and it usually takes a while just to figure that out.  Swap modems, and you're back in business. 

In both cases, swapping the modem which changes the MAC address, or cloning another MAC address in the router will result in a different WAN IP address. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Will replacing my router change the IP?

Just wondering, I tried disconnecting the router for many hours for the past couple days and the IP has not changed at all, rogers is no help at this point. Im wondering if replacing the router would change the IP cause a new router would mean a new MAC address which may lead to a new IP. If anyone has had experience in this let me know, or would I just be wasting my time?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jaisonmorgan, yes, changing the modem will result in a new MAC address which will result in a new WAN IP address.  If you're running a router with the modem in Bridge mode, that won't work.  For a router, you would have to clone the MAC address from some device on your local network, or, clone a different device if you already do this. 

Highlighted

Good morning @jaisonmorgan!

Welcome to our Community!

You'd be surprised at how often this question comes up! Unfortunately, we have no way to absolutely guarantee an IP address change. We use dynamic DHCP so you are automatically assigned an IP address.

Swapping your modem and getting a new MAC will trigger a new IP lease but if your previous IP address is still available, it's quite possible that same IP address will simply be renewed.

Is there any reason, in particular, that you're looking to get a new IP address? It's possible that you're experiencing a technical issue that we can resolve without getting a new IP address. 

Please let us know! This Community can be of great help!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, as @RogersCorey points out, there isn't a 100% guarantee that you would end up with a different IP address.  That will depend on the address pool available at the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) and the address pool available at every CMTS will be different due to the number of modems connected to the CMTS.  But ..... I'd be very surprised if you ended up with the same IP address.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

i currently have a codam modem from rogers and there is an ip addy that i am having issues with is there any way to allow this adress in/out acces cause at the moment it seems to be block according to the winmtr report i have for it i can pm a copy of the report dont think i should post it here  🙂 if that helps

Highlighted

Hello, @hiho.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. You are having issues with an IP address getting blocked, can you please elaborate a little more?

• Is the issue with your Public IP address?
  • Who has blacklisted that IP address?
  • Have you reached out to the service provider who has blacklisted the IP address?

Feel free to provide us with more relevant details so the Community can chime in. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

i posted a pm to you as some of the nfo i didnt think shuld be posted here.