How to change the Public IP address?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How to change the Public IP address?

I want to change my ISP address, I have told all I have to do is add a new MAC address to my router.

Can someone give me step by step directions?

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to change the Public IP address?

If you mean that you want to change your modem's IP address, the quickest way to accomplish that is to change the modem.... different modem, different IP address.  You could try uplugging the modem for a few hours and power it back up to see if that has resulted in an IPaddress change, but, no guarantees that will actually work.  On modems used by TPIAs there might be a clone MAC address function available which would clone one of the MAC addresses of the devices connected to the modem, but, if that capability is available within the Hitron modems, its buried and only available to tech support.  So, as I said initially, the easiest way to do this is to swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  This should be a really easy task to accomplish, for any number of reasons, it isn't 😞

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hello, @mrpete

@mrpete wrote:

I want to change my ISP address

Thank you for your post. Do you mean you want to change your Public IP address? Would you please clarify the ISP address, thank you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you mean that you want to change your modem's IP address, the quickest way to accomplish that is to change the modem.... different modem, different IP address.  You could try uplugging the modem for a few hours and power it back up to see if that has resulted in an IPaddress change, but, no guarantees that will actually work.  On modems used by TPIAs there might be a clone MAC address function available which would clone one of the MAC addresses of the devices connected to the modem, but, if that capability is available within the Hitron modems, its buried and only available to tech support.  So, as I said initially, the easiest way to do this is to swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.  This should be a really easy task to accomplish, for any number of reasons, it isn't 😞

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. I want to change my Public IP address 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I power down my modem daily when I go to work, so I know for a fact turning it off for 12 hours does not change the IP address.
I had to purchase this modem from best buy or futureshop I don't remember which. I assume it was cheaper than Rogers price.
I wonder if they will swap me another for this one?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Owning the modem definitely complicates the issue. You could always try to swap it.  If its still under warranty that might work out, never know till you ask.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I went to online support to see if they could change my ip address...
They said it is assigned and couldn't.
They told me to try unplugging which i have and they said I could try swapping out the modem. Which seems to be my only other option...
Other than getting a new provider.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Datalink!
I had no problems getting a new modem from Rogers.
I now have a new IP address.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Glad to see that it worked out 🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Need help changing my IP Address

so recently I have been having problems with my internet and it is all due to my IP Address. It all started with my PS4 when Sony banned my IP Address (not sure why), its mostly a mistake whenever they do, do it. So I can't really connect to PSN until I get a new IP Address. I have also been having problems on a bunch of websites where I get access denied and I'm pretty sure its because of my IP because when I use a VPN (changes the IP Address), the website works. I contacted Rogers by live chat and the person told me to disconnect the router for 24 hours and than connect back and the IP should be changed, but even than its not a guarantee. If anyone knows a better method to change the IP address that would be nice because I only got a couple days left before school starts and I really wanted to have a little bit of fun on my PS4, plus there are so many sites I can't access and its annoying to use a VPN every time I need to access those websites. Please help if you can.