How to change the DNS address on the 2nd gen ignite wifi modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noobnoob
I've Been Here Awhile

How to change the DNS address on the 2nd gen ignite wifi modem?

I've tried everything and I just cannot find this basic setting. Please help!

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to change the DNS address on the 2nd gen ignite wifi modem?

@noobnoob wrote:

Unfortunately, you cannot configure an alternate/3rd-party DNS server on the Ignite gateways.  Here's the official explanation (posted back in November, 2019) as to why: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ask-an-Expert-Archives/Ask-an-Expert-Ignite-TV-Pt-II/m-p/45094...

I was hoping you guys would allow us to use custom DNS servers on the XB6 like on the previous Hitron Gateway. Is this something that is going to be made available with a future firmware update?

At this time, custom DNS servers aren’t compatible with the Protected Browsing and Parental Control features in Ignite Wi-Fi Hub.

View solution in original post

All Replies
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@noobnoob wrote:

Unfortunately, you cannot configure an alternate/3rd-party DNS server on the Ignite gateways.  Here's the official explanation (posted back in November, 2019) as to why: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ask-an-Expert-Archives/Ask-an-Expert-Ignite-TV-Pt-II/m-p/45094...

I was hoping you guys would allow us to use custom DNS servers on the XB6 like on the previous Hitron Gateway. Is this something that is going to be made available with a future firmware update?

At this time, custom DNS servers aren’t compatible with the Protected Browsing and Parental Control features in Ignite Wi-Fi Hub.

View solution in original post

noobnoob
I've Been Here Awhile

Is it possible to just get Normal Internet? I don't need ignite or whatever that is.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@noobnoob wrote:

Is it possible to just get Normal Internet? I don't need ignite or whatever that is.

You can get "Normal Internet" by enabling Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway and connecting your own router.  Unfortunately, Rogers is not offering any other cable modems to their residential customers, nor will they let customers use their own modems.

Rogers started rolling out these Comcast-designed all-in-one modem/gateways a few years ago as part of their Ignite TV service.  Now they are "standard issue" for all residential Internet customers.  They are a great fit for most people, can be managed through a mobile app, the hardware is fast and capable, and the XB6 and XB7 gateways can also serve as the hub for other potential connected home service offerings.  However, their biggest disadvantage is the software that runs on them: they lack features and configuration options that many users have come to expect, and there is no way to change or disable unwanted behaviour.

noobnoob
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed answer. I was thinking of switching over to Bell but it seems they cannot be trusted.
EtaCarinae
I Plan to Stick Around

(Merged Post)

Hi,

I am looking for where I can change the DNS servers for both IPv4 and IPv6 on the XB7. If I go to the Rogers Network status I can see the default ISP DNS addresses, but I am unable to edit them.

I figured maybe I needed to use the app like is required to set up port forwarding (silly) but again, can view them with no option to edit.

Are these really locked down on the consumer side, with the only workaround being bridge mode + separate router with custom DNS servers setup?

Thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Technicolor XB7 - I can’t change my DNS servers?

Unfortunately, you cannot specify alternate DNS servers on the Ignite gateways.  Rogers has provided official reasons why, and I have linked to those posts here and here.

EtaCarinae
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Technicolor XB7 - I can’t change my DNS servers?

@-G-

Thanks for the reply