cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access CGN3 administration page when in bridged mode

Cognitivist
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently switched to the Hitron CGN3 cable modem and set it up in bridged mode. With the Cisco modem that I returned and the Motorola one I had before that, the administative web pages could be accessed at 192.168.100.1 but this doesn't work with the Hitron modem. Does anyone know how to make this work? I would like to be able to check the modem status. 

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to access CGN3 administration page when in bridged mode

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have firmware version 4.2.4.3 you can still use 192.168.100.1, but, with version 4.2.4.5, you can't.  Hopefully it will return in a future firmware version.  So, for now, the only way to check signal levels for example is to kick the modem back into Gateway mode, and then flip back into Bridge mode when you are done.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have firmware version 4.2.4.3 you can still use 192.168.100.1, but, with version 4.2.4.5, you can't.  Hopefully it will return in a future firmware version.  So, for now, the only way to check signal levels for example is to kick the modem back into Gateway mode, and then flip back into Bridge mode when you are done.

View solution in original post

Cognitivist
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for confirming that. I noticed from some other posts that this modem also throttles the download speed when a 100 Mbit/s Ethernet device is connected. Whatever firmware version I have seems to suffer from that problem too. Time to get a router with a Gigabit Ethernet WAN port, I suppose. 

Did you just pick up the CGN3?  If so, yep, it could be running on 4.2.4.3.  If so, in theory, sometime within 48 hours you should see the 4.2.4.5 pushed out to your modem.  Personally I'd give it three to four days.  The new version resolves the throttling issue when a 100 Mb/s device is connected via ethernet.

If you decide to go router shoppng, look for two items:

1.  Gigabit WAN and LAN ports

2.  External antenna.

I and many others on the forum run an Asus RT-AC68U, which I think most people are happy with.  You can spend less, and more, depending on what your requirements are.  The 68U, although still modestly expensive is neither at the low end or high end in terms of cost.  Here is the user interface simulator for the RT-AC3200, which does cost more than the 68U.  The interface across most of the newer modems is basically the same however, so this would give you some idea of what it can to.  The only thing missing from the simulator is actual hardare at the other end of the setting, otherwise it behaves like the real router.

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/index.asp

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3 no status page in bridge mode

I had my CGN3ACSMR swapped out for a standard CGN3 a week ago due to the ACSMR's lan port issue.

But since then, I cannot access the modem status page (192.168.100.1) thru bridge mode. Some of you said wait a few days for the firmware to get upgraded... Well i don't know if it did or not, I tried several resets, power cycles, even hook up directly to a computer the 192.168.100.1 page doesn't work.

I put it back to gateway mode to get the firmware version, and it's 4.2.4.5. Can someone tell me if it's the latest one? If not, is it possible to push the latest one if I provide the SN/MAC?

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

Looking at the replies above, 4.2.4.5 has this feature broken or deliberately disabled...

Good lord... Please, someone run fibre here... I'm sick and tired of this...

Hello, @HiVolt

To my understanding access to the admin page while the modem is in the bridge mode is not available yet with CGN3 modems. The latest firmware version is 4.2.4.6 for the  CGN3 model. Would you please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps, we can have the modem updated for you, thank you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

As Moin mentioned.. The interface is not accessible from it, while in bridged at the moment 😞
You would have to reset it, go in, then put it in bridge mode.

Though.. if its been 72 hours.. yea its an issue if you dont have 4.2.4.6

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

So I had my CGN3 updated to 4.2.4.6 firmware yesterday.

And the modem admin page at 192.168.100.1 works intermittently... I added a static route in my router to 192.168.100.1, and it works much better...

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
    Packets: Sent = 1183, Received = 1062, Lost = 121 (10% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 152ms, Average = 7ms

Only about 10% loss when pinging it. When i want to access it and it doesnt respond, i ping -t it and usually within 30-60 seconds it responds, and the admin page can be accessed. Myself I always prefer to have signal levels and the log info when I call in, just so they don't tell me to unplug my router and other silly things, hehe. 🙂

khorton
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having intermitent internet issues, and I'd like to connect to the web interface of our CGN3 modem to check signal levels before calling Rogers.  But, I'm running it in bridged mode, so I can't use the 192.168.0.1 IP that I would use in gateway mode. 

I have read on this site that I should be able to access the modem at 192.168.100.1, but that IP is not reachable on my network.  I've tried that IP through the router and also be direct cable to the modem, but there is no response either from a browser or via a ping in Terminal.  

Is this the correct IP to reach it in bridged mode? If so, is there some magic I must do to make it work?

Thanks,

Kevin

aff
I've Been Here Awhile

something i am missing.... if in bridge mode i cannot login the admin pages.... how can "un-bridge" the modem?

Got a new one today to replace my aging SMC... when i factory reset it i get a "selfinstall/index.html" useless page... and i had to call support to fix... ( i did that because the tech person did a number of things that he said... but failed to teach so when he left, i reset... and outch! ) and i did that again because i could not get back into it after briging it.  In the mean time, the phone tech mentioned that my signal was "terrible" and booked a service call....

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are two ways.

A) if you are in bridged, you can do the factory reset on the unit.  Hold down the reset button for a good 30 seconds then release.  
Unfortunately, this will take you back to the the 'selfinstall' setup.

B) you should be able to log into the modem by going to 192.168.100.1 
(this at least works, when your network is set to 192.168.0.X, not sure about any others)

All in all, its sometimes just as easy to DO the selfinstall thing, then from there can log into it and do any of the other features on the modem (from modem settings, to turning bridge mode on, etc).
Run the the basic setup.. whatever you set for your password there will be for your wireless, as well as then for the regular login page (but can be changed afterwards)

Chucker
I've Been Around

Unable to login to CGN3 after switching to bridge mode. I noticed my Hitron CGN3 restarted recently so I went to login to the web console like I have many times before at 192.168.100.1 and just kept getting page not found.   I could ping the 192.168.100.1 address fine.   

Power cycling the router did not change anything.

Resetting the entire modem forced me through the setup process and once I setup a wifi name and password, I was able to login to the modem (192.168.100.1) again.   I followed the procedure to disable residential gateway function (https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/bridgemode-cgn3) so it would be in bridge mode again.  The modem rebooted and seems to be working fine in bridge mode but I again can no longer access the modem's login page after it rebooted.   

The 192.168.100.1 address is responding to pings...and not while it was rebooting so I'm confident the address is correct and there is not a duplicate in my network.

I did not grab the modem firmware version while I could login...and I've interrupted the internet enough already today that I don't want to go through the reset steps again just to grab the firmware version.  (maybe early tomorrow morning).

Has anyone else noticed that they can no longer access the CGN3 modem's web interface in bridge mode?

If you can access it, what version is your modem running?

Thanks in advance.