cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Set up Ignite Internet Without Smartphone

MrAvis
I've been here awhile

I have received my new Ignite internet modem. Unfortunately, I don't have a smart phone to install the app. Can the installation be done by a PC?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to Set up Ignite Internet Without Smartphone

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrAvis wrote:

I have received my new Ignite internet modem. Unfortunately, I don't have a smart phone to install the app. Can the installation be done by a PC?

Welcome to the Community!

Sure.  Connect the modem's coax port to the Rogers network, then power it up.  When the modem's status LED turns solid white, connect a computer to the modem using either an Ethernet cable or by WiFi.  (The default WiFi network name and passphrase are printed on the bottom.)  Using a web browser, go to http://10.0.0.1/ and log in as admin; the default password is "password".

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrAvis wrote:

Welcome to the Community!

Sure.  Connect the modem's coax port to the Rogers network, then power it up.  When the modem's status LED turns solid white, connect a computer to the modem using either an Ethernet cable or by WiFi.  (The default WiFi network name and passphrase are printed on the bottom.)  Using a web browser, go to http://10.0.0.1/ and log in as admin; the default password is "password".

MrAvis
I've been here awhile
Thanks. Will try this weekend. It's just that I will lose all connections to the outside world until I get the new network up. Hopefully, the old CODA will remain active in case I fail and have to go back to it. Thanks again.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrAvis  I don't think that Rogers will allow you to have two modems active on your account at the same time.  You may need to call Rogers (or send a private message to @CommunityHelps ) to activate your Ignite Internet account and XB6 gateway when you are ready to install it.

dougjp
I plan to stick around

I was told recently by a Rogers Ignite installer that I needed to have a device with a camera in order to get Ignite installed. It appears not from everything I've read, including here? When asked why, he said its to take a picture of the modem's serial # tag. Its probably only a procedure he uses during a professional installation for some reason?

I also don't have a smartphone. I can't see needing any of the six highlighted features in the link below, except assigning a network name and password. Guests can still sign in as such to the network with the password? My interest would only be troubleshooting problems. What advantage does a smartphone give over a browser or tablet connected to the modem for this purpose? IE; perhaps if nothing is working, can a smartphone help diagnose?

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/bundles/ignite-wifi-hub

MrAvis
I've been here awhile

I just completed my activation. It was flawless. I followed the instructions above. All I had to do was insert my wifi name and password and everything worked. The only issue I had was with a printer. It had a static ip. I released it and away it went. It's been on for two hours now. I even have Alexa with a number of devices. Everything works. Super easy and fast. Good job Rogers. I am told the app has a lot of features, but I'm not going to buy a smartphone for that.

PS. Before I do anything, I thank God first. He makes everything go smooth. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dougjp  The mobile app is required to activate Ignite WiFi Pods, and many users like the convenience of using a mobile app to manage their network.  I think the mobile app also allows you to activate the modem using your phone's data connection, and scanning with the camera streamlines the installation process and saves the user from tedious data entry.

If you are not going to be installing Ignite WiFi Pods, then (as far as I know) using the mobile app is optional.

dougjp
I plan to stick around

Thank you. I would be getting a Rogers installer to set my Ignite up. There may well be WiFi Pods, as a Roku currently shows a weak signal in one location.

We have a tablet that meets the Rogers operating system requirement that an app could be installed in, and it has a camera. It connects only by WiFi, as most of them do. Does the mobile app have to be installed in a device (ie; phone) that has its separate data connection, in order to activate WiFi Pods, or will our tablet connected to the Ignite modem allow this? The reason for asking is, at some point like a power outage, it may be necessary to do something.

stevepapaoffour
I've been around
easy internet setup with rogers

dougjp
I plan to stick around

Re: My message # 8 above, as I suspect one or more wifi pods will be installed, does this eliminate getting Ignite if one doesn't have a smartphone? It would be a professional installation where the pods are activated initially by the installer.

My options to alter or correct subsequent problems with any setup changes or troubleshooting issues are (a) desktop computer ethernet access to setup, (b) laptop ethernet or wifi access to setup, or (c) tablet with app connected only via wifi (ie; not its own phone service). So the pods work initially and I'm trying to understand what access would be required and why. Does the Hub show the various devices attached including pods, and if one doesn't show as working, then powering it off and on should connect it or its a faulty pod?

Hello @dougjp,

Those are all very good questions! We'll do our best to help clarify! 🙂

I understand that you are planning to have a technician visit your home to install your Ignite TV bundle service and possibly add Ignite WiFi Pods with your set up. Installation and use of the Ignite WiFi Pods requires the following equipment:

• An Ignite WiFi Gateway modem, available exclusively with select Ignite Internet packages and bundles
  • An Ignite WiFi Hub app installed on a Bluetooth-enabled phone with a compatible operating system:
    • iOS 11 or later
    • Android 6.0 or later
  • A MyRogers account to access Ignite WiFi Hub

The Ignite WiFi Hub app can be used on a tablet once the service has been set up successfully or you can log in on the website (ignitewifi.rogers.com) as well. The pods will show a green status when they are online. If a pod is offline, select the pod followed by Help Me Fix It. Follow the displayed instructions and then Retest Connection.

I hope you find this information useful! 🙂

RogersLaura

dougjp
I plan to stick around

@RogersYasmine  Thank you, almost "there", for me to get it..... So once pods are installed, there is never a need to use a smartphone, correct? And;

As 66% of seniors like myself don't own smartphones, a self install of Ignite, IF that turns out to require pod(s), is therefore impossible. For a professional install though, is the installer's Bluetooth enabled phone used to install pods if they are found to be needed?   

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dougjp  The Ignite modem can be installed and configured using a web browser.  However the Pods need to be installed using the Ignite WiFi app, and that app needs to be logged into YOUR MyRogers account.  Although you can use the Ignite WiFi Hub web site to manage Ignite WiFi, it was meant to be managed through the mobile app.

You don't need to run the Ignite WiFi app on a mobile phone; a tablet will do, and there are plenty of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals out there where you can get a decent, top-brand Android tablet in the $120 - $150 price range.  Note that the Ignite WiFi App will not currently run on Amazon Fire tablets; find one that runs a current version of Android OS so that you can install apps from the Google Play Store.  Most tablets these days should support Bluetooth.

If you want to stick to configurations that can be installed and managed from a desktop computer, Rogers techs may still carry WiFi Range Extenders in their trucks... although I do not recommend going down that road.

east0027
I've been here awhile

I was having problems with legacy internet service so Support suggested a switch to Ignite. I explained that I had no smartphone or tablet to download the "app". He said that's okay, we'll give you instructions. I got the hardware today, but the instructions just say, "Download the app to your smartphone or tablet." I called Support, but hung up after being on hold for 25 minutes. Can anyone tell me if I can install this thing without an app download? 

Hello, @east0027.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Even though the preferred way to set up the Ignite WiFi Gateway modem is through the Ignite WiFi Hub app, you should be able to do as suggested in the solution post of this thread. 

I hope you had a chance to check the solution post and follow it to set up your modem. 

Let us know if you need further help. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

east0027
I've been here awhile

Thank you! I followed the instructions in this thread and it worked well!  🙂

In-home Modem Set-up without Rogers Ignite Hub (ios incompatibility):

Hi! I have an appointment to have a modem dropped off in a couple of weeks to set up my Ignite internet, and I was told to use Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub to set up the modem myself. This would normally be no problem, but the issue is that I have an iPhone 6 which is capped at ios 12 (the app requires atleast ios 13 to download from the app store). Therefore, it seems that I cannot install Ignite WiFi Hub 😞 Given this, is there a way that I can set up my modem without the app? Or else will I need to borrow a friend's updated phone if the app is strictly required?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Chris991  You can use a web browser to perform the initial setup of the Ignite gateway.

When the Ignite gateway gets dropped off, hook it up and power it up, then ask the tech to confirm that your modem's signal levels are all good.

To perform the initial setup, connect a computer to the gateway with an Ethernet cable, and open http://10.0.0.1 in your web browser.  Follow the prompts to set your Admin password and perform the basic Wi-Fi setup.

Take this opportunity to manually set the Wi-Fi channels on the gateway.  I would recommend setting the 5GHz channel to channel 149 or higher as these transmit on a higher power level.  This will also allow Ignite WiFi Pods to have better connectivity on their wireless backhaul link.  Be sure to manually set the 5GHz Wi-Fi channel BEFORE using the Ignite WiFi Hub app or web site and BEFORE installing any Pods!

To install Ignite WiFi Pods, you will need to use the Ignite WiFi Hub app on a mobile device.

mclng1
I've been around

I was in the same situation. My smartphone cannot install the Rogers app. I followed this instructions and it worked fine. Once you're logged on to the modem, there are prompts and the install went smoothly.  The only issue I had was with my home phone.  I didn't get a dial tone after powering up the modem again.  But I saw another entry about rebooting my phone. After unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in, everything worked. 

Thank you for these tips!  They are much appreciated. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just one clarification regarding this thread.  Although I have a smartphone, I don't have data on that phone and data is required to initially set up the WiFi/Internet since WiFi is not set up yet and cannot be used.

Once set up as indicated in the solution post, everything works in the Ignite WiFi app in a Smart Phone, Tablet, or via Browser.  Interestingly the WiFi access via browser will be discontinued per the following:

The Ignite WiFi website will be going away on 07/06/22. You can still enjoy the same great features by downloading the free Rogers Ignite WiFi app to manage your WiFi and devices. Get it now on the App Store or Google Play.

Since I used the same WiFi Network name and password as I had when I was on digital cable, all my various WiFi devices (about 10 of them) worked as before, seamlessly.

I'm also pleased to report that my previous PowerLine adaptor for Ethernet/WiFi that goes from my second floor to the basement works flawlessly.  Previously it was only used for Internet, but now it also feeds my basement IgniteTV box via Ethernet without issue.  I didn't need any Pods and WiFi speeds are fine on all 3 floors, although they are best on the second floor where the Gateway and one IgniteTV box (WiFi) are located.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Interestingly the WiFi access via browser will be discontinued per the following:

The Ignite WiFi website will be going away on 07/06/22. You can still enjoy the same great features by downloading the free Rogers Ignite WiFi app to manage your WiFi and devices. Get it now on the App Store or Google Play.

I also saw this reported by Comcast customers a few weeks ago and many of them are NOT happy about this change.

Will be interesting to see what other options will be available for managing the Ignite gateways going forward, especially for those who either do not have a smartphone or who dislike using smartphone apps for configuration and management.  Hopefully it will be possible for Tech Support to disable the Ignite WiFi Hub back-end so that the Ignite Gateway can be managed locally using a web browser

Topic Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 14 in conversation