How do I use custom DNS settings on the CGN3ACSMR modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How do I use custom DNS settings on the CGN3ACSMR modem?

I currently have a CGN3  that was running in bridgemode until my router died yesterday. I am not back using the CGN3 directly.

i have the 250mbps  service - and really only use the wirless for a few tablets and phones -- all other devices (game systems and pcs) are cabled.  

Would it be better for me to upgrade to the CGN3ACSMR. or buy a new router -- or just stick with what i have and avoid hassles?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personal opinion, you're always better off running your own router.  A router with gigabit WAN and LAN ports and external antenna will give you better wifi performance than any of the Hitron modems and better control over the various functions that you would expect to find in a modem but have been removed or locked out for tech support use only.  The one thing to keep in mind is that the receent update to the CGN3ACSMR has taken care of the latency to and thru the modem for both wired and wifi devices.  It also takes care of issues with online gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and latency intolerant applications.  The changes that were made to the the firmware for the CGN3ACSMR to resolve the latency to and thru the modem have not been made as of yet to the CGN3 and CGN3ACR.  That will occur at some point, just don't know when.  If you run a ping test to the modem, Ping 192.168.0.1 -N 20  you will see inconsistent return times that average around 5 ms, with occasional high time up over 50 ms.  The firmware update brings that down to 1 ms with occasional times at 20 ms or slightly higher. I run a CGN3ASCMR with the latest firmware and an Asus RT-AC68U.  The Asus router outperforms the Hitron modem by far, in terms of data rates and coverage throughout the home.  So, even though you might not be demanding high data rates with the mobile devices, coverage throughout the home might be an important factor in deciding to buy another router.

I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3ROG Smart DNS

Hello I'm trying to use a DNS service for Netflix, other apps etc.. I went into my DNS settings on the  router and changed them to the DNS servers provided by these websites however it is not working. Does this router have something that cant be turned off due to Rogers firmware? I turned off UnDP, firewall, yet on these DNS websites its saying I still need to configure.. I've tried multiple ones with no luck. Such as unblock-us and smartdnsproxy

I've Been Around

When I go to the router settings, I'm presented with an option to enter an IP address in DSN1 and DSN2.  What IP address should I enter in these boxes?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Akbar.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The LAN DNS settings page with DNS1 and DNS 2 enables you to use a different Domain Name Server, other than the Rogers DNS.  The Domain Name Server translates the address that you type into the browser address bar into the numerical IP address that the browser actually uses.  You can use any DNS that you would like.  The most popular are probably Google and OpenDNS.  The DNS address usually uses a primary and secondary address, so, therefor DNS 1 and DNS 2.  Google and OpenDNS addresses are as follows:

Google:  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (DNS1 and DNS 2)

OpenDNS:  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220  (DNS 1 and DNS 2)

If you leave the LAN DNS Obtain in Auto, it will use the Rogers DNS.  To use the DNS of your choise, change that setting to Manual and enter the DNS address (primary and secondary) into the DNS 1 and DNS 2 entry windows below.  Once done, save the changes.  Then, navigate to ADMIN..... DEVICE RESET, and using the reboot function on that page, reboot the modem. 

After the reboot is complete and your pc has an IP address, bring up a command prompt and type:

inconfig/all

That will display the various network details for your pc and network, including the DNS address at the bottom of the second data group.  That will confirm that the changes that you made to the DNS IP addresses in the modem have been accepted and now the modem is using those addresses for your entire local network.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have done exactly this (specified DNS1 DNS2 settings on the CGN3), saved changes, rebooted the router, rebooted the client machines, and they are STILL getting the ISP's DNS servers!

Any idea what might be going on? At first I thought it was because on the CGN3, the manual DNS server fields were under the category of "LAN DNS" instead of 'WAN DNS" which is what I'm used to seeing. But I've been told that it's actually the same thing on routers.

Thanks!!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mike613ottawa when you return to the BASIC .... DNS tab, does it still show the DNS addresses that you entered.  The DNS Obtain has to be flipped to Manual.  

Its been a while, but, can you confirm that the IPV6 DNS 1 and 2 address fields are present and whether or no they are also filled in?  I'm trying to remember if there was some issue way back when, that required both address types, IPV4 and IPV6 to be filled in.

Have you drilled down into the pc/laptop adapter settings to ensure the the DNS addresses are not set to the Rogers addresses for some reason?

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes it still retains the custom DNS settings.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I have. DNS settings on all local devices are set to auto.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're using a windows pc/laptop and you run an ipconfig/all command at a command prompt, are you seeing the proper DNS addresses?  Just wondering how you're detecting the discrepancy?

What I've noticed with Windows 10 is that sometimes you need to reboot the pc/laptop to see the changes in the DNS address.