How do I use custom DNS settings on the CGN3ACSMR modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How do I use custom DNS settings on the CGN3ACSMR modem?

There is a Tab for DNS when logging into the modem. It's under Basic. There are a bunch of lines.

- LAN DNS Obtain Auto/Manual
- LAN DNS Proxy Status: Enabled/Disabled
- Domain Suffix. ( has hitronhub.com filled in)
- Proxy Hostname 1
- Proxy Hostname 2

If I want to use say 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 for example what to a set things as? Can I get rid of the hitronhub.com entry? It keeps showing up as a workgroup in networking when using smb.

If I want to completely disable the DNS server what settings would I use?

The Help file in the modem is a bit confusing on these issues.

I did try setting the first setting to Manual and filling out some DNS numbers but then my wifi clients didn't get any DNS settings.

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How do I use custom DNS settings on the CGN3ACSMR modem?

Here is the link for the CGN3 user manual.  I haven't seen an equivalent for the CGN3AC or CGN3ACSMR.

https://www.midcocomm.com/contentassets/b443bbd36fcf458a883231f34d6f24aa/hitron-cgn3res-user-guide.p...

Have a look at page 63.  Does the interface for the CGN3ACSMR look the same?  If so, flip the LAN DNS Obtain to manual and type in DNS1 and DNS2.  Save the settings.  You should probably restart the modem to ensure that the change takes effect.

Hello @pmcd,

pmcd wrote:

I did try setting the first setting to Manual and filling out some DNS numbers but then my wifi clients didn't get any DNS settings.

If I want to completely disable the DNS server what settings would I use?

Thank you for your post. When you did the manual setup, the hardwired or Ethernet clients were getting DNS resolved? If yes, then you may want to try turning the Wi-Fi on and off or even better forget the network and reconnect again.

Sorry, it’s not possible to completely disable DNS in the modem. If you wish to you can specify DNS in the individual clients usually by going to TCP/IP properties on PCs and for wireless clients you need to change IP settings from DHCP to Static IP and then change DNS.

Has anybody in the Community tried changing DNS in CGN3ACSMR?

@Community, please weigh in with your expertise.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

There is an extra Lan DNS Proxy Status in the newer modem. There are 5 lines listed in my original posting which give the slight difference. If I enable DHCP I would like to control which DNS numbers get sent out. It was pretty easy with the CGN3 but the AC version seems more complicated.

Philip
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMoin

Are you saying I cannot enable DHCP and send out DNS numbers of my choosing both wirelessly and wired? What do you mean by you can't disable DNS? The modem will receive the Rogers ones via WAN. But I would rather use others in the dhcp server.

Philip
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pmcd, here is a link to a draft manual for the CGNV4:

https://www.upc.ro/pdf/manuale/internet/HITRON_CGNV4_UG_V1-1_DRAFT_2014-01-28.pdf

The DNS setting, personal opinion is clear as mud.   To use your own DNS address, try the following as per page 59 of the draft manual:

1.  LAN DNS Obtain set to Manual

2.  LAN DNS Proxy Status set to Enabled.  Note that the manual indicates "Use this to turn DNS proxy on or off on the LAN. When
DNS proxy is turned on (default) the DHCP server provides the CGNV4’s LAN IP address as the DNS server for name resolution." 

What exactly does that mean?  That the CGNV4’s LAN IP address is used for the DNS server which isn't correct, or that the CGNV4’s LAN IP address is used as the source address to supply the IP address for the DNS server?  This might require some experimentation.  The wording in the manual is terrible.  Maybe you have to disable this so that the addresses in the Proxy Hostname fields are used instead of the Gateway IP address.  So, if Enabled doesn't work, try Disabled on round #2.

3.  Proxy Hostname 1 and 2:  Key in the DNS address that you want to use.  Note thta the manual indicates "When LAN DNS Obtain is set to Manual, enter the IP addresses of up to two computers for which you want to manually add to the DNS."  Ok, so what exactly does that mean?  It sounds as if you are trying to specificy the devices on the LAN which will use the DNS addresses, which is very odd.  Key in the DNS addresses into these fields.

4.  Save the setting.

5.  Reboot the modem.

6.  After the reboot and after your pc has an IP address, bring up a command prompt and type in ipconfig/all    At the bottom of the second data group is the DNS address that is supplied to the pc.  It should be the address that you want to use.   If it turns out to be the modem IP address that means that the LAN DNS Proxy Status set to Enabled is indeed supplying the modem IP and not the chosen DNS address.  Go back into the modem DNS page, and set the LAN DNS Proxy Status to Disabled.

7.  Save the setting.

8.  Reboot the modem

9.  After the reboot and after your pc has an IP address, bring up a command prompt and type in ipconfig/all and see if the DNS address is the one that you had selected.

After all of this, I wonder if a panel pops down when you set the LAN DNS Obtain set to Manual, which would allow you to key in the DNS address?  Since I have a CGN3, I don't know what the SMR version shows for this panel, and I can't be sure that the draft manual is 100 % accurate.

The wording for the Proxy field is very odd "When LAN DNS Obtain is set to Manual, enter the IP addresses of up to two computers for which you want to manually add to the DNS".  Does that really mean that you can only supply two pc's with a DNS address, and if that is the case, where do you enter that info?

Give that a go and let us know how it works out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pmcd, If you haven't tried this already, when you set the: LAN DNS Obtain to Manual, the existing menu changes and displays a DNS1 and DNS 2 entry window only.  This is not detailed in the Draft Manual.  At that point you can enter the addresses of your choice and save the data.  Saving the data takes forever from what I have observed. 

When that is complete and you have logged out you can either restart your laptop, pc, etc, or in the case of a windows laptop or pc you can bring up a command prompt and type in:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/renew

ipconfig/all

Those commands will release the existing IP address, renew the IP address, and then display the IP data so that you can confirm the DNS IP address of your choice is observed on the pc or laptop.  You will have to restart the other devices such as tablets, phones, DVD players etc to pick up the change in the DNS address.

Hello @pmcd,

Thanks @Datalink, it definitely seems all your questions were answered. Let us know if you were able to set your DNS per your liking and please post if you further need any clarification.

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you, that seems to have worked. Setting the LAN DNS Obtain to Manual did reveal two places to input two DNS numbers and I have verified that this does supply those numbers to DHCP clients.

Is it now safe to remove the line hitronhub.com from the Domain Suffix line?

Philip
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can try changing it, but I'm not sure it it will keep the new name or a empty field.  Haven't tried that one Smiley Happy

Topic Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation