How can i change my router password from the issued one to block others

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

How can i change my router password from the issued one to block others

i have been using the rogers password to my router and now i want to limit the kids access by changing the password to connect to it with only my permission  how can  i log in and change the existing password.  Thank you

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: How can i change my router password from the issued one to block others

Hello @Davis_family_20,

Welcome to the Community!

My understanding is you're inquiring how to change the administrator login for our router, correct?  First and foremost, we need to know which gateway you're using.  Can you verify which model modem you have please?

Look forward to your response

Regards,

RogersCilio

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Davis_family_20,

Here are the steps to change the password on the hitron CGN3 gateways:

Determine IP Address of hitron Modem

(Windows XP to Windows 10)

- Hold Windows key and press "R".  The Run box appears.

- Type cmd and press [enter].  A Command Prompt appears.

- Type ipconfig and press [enter].  Take note of the Default Gateway.

- Type exit to close the Command Prompt.

Change Router Password

(Any Operating System)

- Using your preferred web browser, visit the IP address noted in"Default Gateway",

above.

- The hitron login page appears.  Enter your username and password, then click Login.

- From the menu bar at top of page, click Admin.

- In the Old Password box, type the current (default) password.

- In the New Password box, type the new (desired) password.

- Click the blue Save Changes button (bottom-right).

I hope this helps!

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @Davis_family_20

In your original post, just in case you meant to block/grant internet access to others(family, friends etc)instead of router access:
You must first enter the router interface through the steps provided by @robindp , I would go ahead and change your default router access password, the username cannot be changed and will remain cusadmin....if you already performed this step through @robindp's guidance, then skip this step altogether and move onto next step

While in router interface, select Wireless>Basic Settings(1st row)> scroll down and turn off WPS Setting
(Optional)Turn QOS setting off under multiple SSID's also if you want to create a faster environment throughout the router chipset....then hit save settings at bottom to apply new changes
Next step in Wireless>Wps & Security (2nd row) it's in this section that you will make a new password for accessing the internet wirelessly...
In Security Settings>
Security Mode>WPA-Personal
Auth Mode>WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode>AES
Password>delete old password and put in your new password here
Then repeat above settings for the 5G radio as well and confirm your new password is the same for both the 2.4G and the 5G radios.
Save settings to apply new settings and password and that's it your done

If you want to restrict access to specific devices, you can do that in Security>Device filter then show connected devices and from the list add device to managed list and choose desired time/day setting and whether to restrict/block.....always make sure to save new settings/changes at bottom to apply, anyhow in case you forget to save, you will get a friendly reminder to save new settings. Hope this helps 😊
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there all, I forgot to mention when turning off WPS and QOS settings located in Wireless>Basic Settings scroll down and you will see these settings for both 2.4G and 5G....please disable and save/apply these settings for both 2.4G and 5G radios and the same goes for Wireless> WPS & Security Settings
Apply the settings and password change to both 2.4 & 5G radios and hit save to apply the new changes.....thanks, have fun & enjoy 😊
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation