How Do I Change My Home Network SSID?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

How Do I Change My Home Network SSID?

We have changed over the modem to the new rocket model. When the technician installed, he used some funky SSID names for the network. Unfortunately i just recently had new audio systems installed (Sonos) that were all installed using the old network SSID name. Is there a simple solution to simply changing the new name to match the old name? if so, how does one go about doing that? Are there any unique issues that I will face given i am not just using a new name altogether but trying to replicate the old SSID - which still shows up in the drop down of wireless networks available .

***Edited Labels*** 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How Do I Change My Home Network SSID?

You shouldn't run into any problems changing the wifi SSIDs. In fact, you should change them if are still the default network names as seen at the back of the modem. To change the SSIDs:

1. Start your web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and hit return.  That should take you to the modem login page.

2. Log into the modem. The tech should have ensured that you have the login password. The credentials for logging in are
User name: cusadmin
Password: as you have been instructed by the tech

3. After logging in, navigate to WIRELESS.... BASIC. On this page there are two sub-tabs, one for the 2.4 Ghz network and one for the 5 Ghz network.

4. Change the SSIDs for both networks. Ensure that WPS is turned off for both sub-tabs as WPS is not secure. Save the changes when you are finished each sub-tab.

5. On the WPS & SECURITY page, ensure that the Security Mode for each SSID is set for WPA-2 only and that the Encrypt mode is set for AES only.

6. Lastly, navigate to BASIC... GATEWAY FUNCTION and disable the UPNP function unless you absolutely know that you need that for gaming and don't want to set a static IP address for the pc/console and the port forwarding rules as well. Save the changes.

7. Navigate to ADMIN....DEVICE RESET and Reboot the modem.

8. Done.

I've Been Around

192.168.0.1does not work after many attempts. This is what shows up: 

This site can’t be reached

192.168.0.1 took too long to respond.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eatrcforum restart the modem.  Pull the power off of the modem, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in.  That should allow you to access 192.168.0.1    You can also use 192.168.100.1 

If you happen to be using the modem in Gateway mode, with a direct connection via ethernet or wifi, you can use either address. 

If you happen to be using the modem in Bridge mode, with a follow on router, then you can only use 192.168.100.1    Note that if you are using a router, some routers require a routing rule to allow access to the modem.  

Do you happen to have any web browser blockers that might prevent access to the modem?

Once you have logged into the modem, follow my post above this post to navigate to the wireless tabs where you can change the SSIDs.

I Plan to Stick Around

That means it is not using that ip address, we need to find out what is ip address your modem is using. 

If you using windows then

Windows:

• Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

• When Command Prompt is open, type the following command: ipconfig | findstr /i "Gateway" (You can copy & paste it in the command prompt; just right-click anywhere in the command prompt window and select Paste.)
  • Your Gateway address  is your router address.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation