Hitron Modem keeps dropping internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron Modem keeps dropping internet

I just moved from an apartment building to a condo style townhouse and have been having connectivity issues with my modem. At first our internet would not connect at all, so we had a technician come in and he replaced the cable from the panelboard to the modem with a direct connection and it has a 3db signal reduction filter because the signal was very strong with the direct connection. I never had issues with internet at the apartment, but now it seems that a few times a night the internet is dropping out so that all the lights on the modem go dark and it seems like it reboots. I have my modem in bridge mode to a d-link router and when this reset happens, the fifth lights on the modem, I believe it is the ethernet light does not come back on, so my router is not receiving internet access anymore. The only temporary fix I have found is to restart the modem by unplugging it and plugging it back in after 30 seconds, but then it will drop out again a little while later in the night. Is there a fix for this so that my internet is stable and I don't have to keep resetting the internet? I wouldn't think it is the modem or router because it was fine at the apartment, it has only had issues in the townhouse. 

***EDITED LABELS***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron Modem keeps dropping internet

Call support and insist the tech check the cable right to the pole.

I had the same issue and the tech found damage where the cable connect at the pole.
Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

@stephen_214 wrote:

I just moved from an apartment building to a condo style townhouse and have been having connectivity issues with my modem. At first our internet would not connect at all, so we had a technician come in and he replaced the cable from the panelboard to the modem with a direct connection and it has a 3db signal reduction filter because the signal was very strong with the direct connection. I never had issues with internet at the apartment, but now it seems that a few times a night the internet is dropping out so that all the lights on the modem go dark and it seems like it reboots. I have my modem in bridge mode to a d-link router and when this reset happens, the fifth lights on the modem, I believe it is the ethernet light does not come back on, so my router is not receiving internet access anymore. The only temporary fix I have found is to restart the modem by unplugging it and plugging it back in after 30 seconds, but then it will drop out again a little while later in the night. Is there a fix for this so that my internet is stable and I don't have to keep resetting the internet? I wouldn't think it is the modem or router because it was fine at the apartment, it has only had issues in the townhouse. 

***EDITED LABELS***

If all the lights go out including the power light, then it is a problem modem or power supply so swap. If the power light stays on and all the other lights cycle, then call tech support and let them know. There are known issues with some modems and ethernet whil in bridge mode, depending on the firmware version as well.

Brian

Brian

I'm Here A Lot

Okay, I have seen it happen and know that the power light is staying on while all of the other lights cycle. I will try tech support.
I'm Here A Lot

Called tech support. No help. Told me to replace modem so I did and it is still disconnecting. So that did not work.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stephen_214 did you replace the modem power supply as well, if you have a modem other than the CODA-4582 (white modem)

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy just the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables. 

I'm Here A Lot

I can no longer access the Internet through the modem. So I can't do that. It is doing the same thing as before the tech pulled a new cable where the upload symbol stays solid but the download will keep flashing and won't give Internet access. I am having to use up my data on my phone just to respond to this.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Call Rogers again, tell them you swapped the modem and it still doesn't work. Ask them send a tech because something is wrong with the signal if the modem can't find any downstream/upstream channels. I would also ask them if the tech can bring another modem, to make sure it all works before the tech leaves. 

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

Sorry you are still having issues. When we troubleshoot intermittent internet and everything looks good on the line while we are troubleshooting, the first step is to swap out the modem. As mentioned before, power issues could be a cause,. Always swap the power adapter when you swap the modem and test it directly to a wall outlet, not a strip, surge protector or battery backup. Second step may be to send a tech, but again this is intermittent so the tech may not not find the issue while there. A ticket may be submitted to monitor your connection or we may be able to consult our mentor line while talking with you to see if there are other options or things that have been missed. All in all, intermittant internet is the hardest thing to troubleshoot but don't give up yet.

Brian

I'm Here A Lot

I have a rogers tech coming this afternoon. I also have the modem plugged directly into the wall now.