Hitron Modem hijacking an extra ip address

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron Modem hijacking an extra ip address

I have a NAS with a static ip of 192.168.0.2. I have noticed recently that sometimes my NAS will disappear from the list of networks and be replaced with "INTEL_CE_LINUX" at first I thought this was an issue with the linux os that was running the nas but have since come across a number of threads on this forum that have indicated that the Hitron CGN3 was the culprit. To test this I have disconnected my NAS and tried to ping the address it was using (192.168.0.2) and surprisingly I was still recieving a reply. While leaving a ping -t running I then unplugged the Hitron (I am using a 16-port switch for all my stuff) and all the packets start to drop. When I plug the Hitron back in the pings start to return again. I cant find any kind of setting or feature in the webconfig page that would be causing this issue.

Does anyone know what INTEL_CE_LINUX is? and how to stop whatever it is that the modem is doing. And id rather not just change my NAS to a different IP, I want to know exactly why this modem is doing this so I can be sure that nothing malicious is going on.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted

Re: Hitron Modem hijacking an extra ip address

Hello, @Fleetscut

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

To my understanding, it's the name of the gateway itself. The internal gateway IP like 192.168.0.1 will be replaced by "INTEL_CE_LINUX".

Inviting @Datalink, @Gdkitty and @VivienM for their input, thank you all.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This does not explain why the box is using both the 192.168.0.1 address AND the 192.168.0.2 address at the same time

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Definitely a weird one.  If you go into the managent of the modem and define a fixed IP managed to be assigned only to your internal network NAS, maybe that will stop it.  

But definitely a weird one - in all my years, have never seen that happen, as long as the IP was fixed and assigned on the router/modem to keep the ip address for your internal network fixed.  Have seen it if the modem network service was using DHCP, but given the knowledge you appear to have, I would expect that you have it permanently assigned.  Maybe pick a number way up out of range of the modem DHCP.  I have had a similiar problem with my print server - I had to permanently assign the IP and kept it above the DHCP range, which I narrowed down to 1-100.  That way the DHCP will never try to accidently grab the assigned address.  Maybe define the DHCP range on the modem to start at 3.  Got me, I don't know.

Good luck, hope you solve it, and let us know.  I am just curious.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

I am having the same issue, any updates on this? Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Which exact part?

That you are getting a device still show up/reply, even if its not connected?

Or that items show up an Intel_CE_Linux.

Any device that it cant specifically find a match for/get a ID from (that its a specific device) might show up as the Intel_CE_Linux... its sort of the 'default' name if it cant match anything.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Here is what I found in the portscan, weird device, Any idea? Thanks

Operating system:

IP:

MAC:

78:8D:XX:XX:74:E0

NetBIOS:

User:

Type:

Service

Details

Port 139 (TCP)

Samba smbd 3.X workgroup: HIRON

Port 445 (TCP)

Samba smbd 3.X workgroup: HIRON

Sans titre.png

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Did you try to disable file sharing for the modem usb port?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I did disable the USB Storage file sharing and rebooted modem. Modem is still using 192.168.0.2 as SMB service
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am seeing this Intel_CE_Linux as one of computers registered in my network when viewing from File Explorer/Network.

So I should not worry about this as this computer name is my actual Rogers router - Hitron?