Hitron Modem hijacking an extra ip address

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron Modem hijacking an extra ip address

In my experience, i have found that any device which does not report back properly an identifcation, will show up that way.

Your router, usually being the main first one.

But also for example if you do a trace route to somewhere.. say cnn.com
The first number of hops, are all device within the rogers network.. and all report back the same way as their name.  Only when you start going outside, do you see them respond with a name as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there, I have been solving this same problem on DSLReports forum and a Google search led me here.  

I upgraded my old CGN3 modem to the Ignite CGNM-3552 modem router and changed its default IP to my usual LAN IP for a Gateway device to 192.168.1.1 

Now my admin PC is for years on static IP 192.168.1.2 but when I brought this new Hitron modem home, I started to develop problems with loading webpages on this admin PC. Then I cought a message about IP collision of this (admin) computer with another device on my LAN.

I changed the IP of the admin PC to different one and pinged the 192.168.1.2 and the device was alive on the LAN. I have this little program WinMTR which said the device is Intel_CE_Linux and I googled it and that brought me straight here to this thread.

I read here from OP that on his LAN it took 192.168.0.2 but as I changed the Hitron's LAN IP to 192.168.1.1, it took in addition the 192.168.1.2 IP which on my LAN was my admin PC's

If in fact it is this Hitron modem which does this and it is not explicitly stated in the documentation, like the quick install instruction that came with it, then that is not acceptable, period.  

After some search I found there is some new device Intel_CE_Linux 

I've Been Here Awhile

... I found there is some new device Intel_CE_Linux  in win Explorer in Network.

It looks like any other bona fide PC on my LAN nad if there was not that IP conflict with my admin PC I would have thought it is some device like streaming box on my LAN or something, maybe one of the TVs which I connected to LAN, whatever.

But in my LAN setting it is extremely improbable someone would set static IP on their machine (people on this LAN don't have that degree of compter knowledge) or maybe brought some device in from outside, a friend...

I've Been Around

I noticed the same issue.  I set up three wireless access points (APs) in my house, one on each end, and one in the middle, with IP addresses 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4.  The old Rogers Modem/Router was set up as 192.168.0.1 with DHCP to hand out addresses to the rest of my network entities and things chugged along.

I upgraded to the Hitron modem/router several months ago.  I had some network issues so I upgraded my APs to top-of-the-line wireles routers.  That's when I noticed that the Hitron was also using address 192.168.0.2 (with a little help from this forum) with name INTEL_CE_LINUX.  I don't know how my network actually worked with two conflicting IP addresses, at least not from the AP that used that address.

I'm now using static IPs 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5 for the three APs and I'm hoping my network will now be stable.  But I wish I had known about the extra IP address on the Hitron originally.  I might not have needed to upgrade my old Cisco E1200 wireless routers at all!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have found this too with a Hitron CGN3AC.

I have set my private network as 10.10.10.0/24. The router has an IP of 10.10.10.1. I configured the DHCP server to serve addresses between 10.10.10.101 and 10.10.10.199.

I configured my server with a static IP of 10.10.10.2, as I have done with every router I've owned in the past. But I can't. There is a phantom device there listening on ports 139, 445 & 49152, which stinks of SMB.

This must be the modem's built in USB file share thing. I'd be OK with it if it was at least mentioned somewhere in the documentation. But I concur with a previous sentiment that this is unacceptable. There is no reason why these services can't listen on the same IP as the gateway!

I can confirm that disabling the USB Storage function does not stop it from hijacking the second IP.

I'd be curious to know if anybody using the USB Storage function has found that they need to use an IP different to the gateway's...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.

While i didnt have the CGN3ACSMR model... only the regular CNG3..
I ran a 2nd access point on the 2nd ip (my case 192.168.0.2) and it always worked fine with no issues.
Might be something specifically to the ACSMR model firmware.

(never used the built in USB SMB share.. as well, 90% of all of them on routers i have found.. suck 😛 thats what my file server is for :P)

I've Been Here Awhile

Quite! It's a gimmick!
I've Been Around

i suddenly noticed the same thing pop up in my Network tab just this morning strange thing about it is i haven't changed any network settings or anything to do with file sharing or homegroup in the last month or 2 so why does it randomly pop up today Thursday, August 31st

i don't accept the explanation that its just the hitron modem. for one why would the Modem Create a HomeGroup two a HomeGroup is only used for 1 thing File Sharing Three if the hitron modem is File Sharing Who is on the other end...

I've Been Here Awhile

In my case, it is my PLEX server talking to my Hitron and it seems to require a second IP as we all have noticed.

I've Been Here Awhile

Samba may be a Sony TV or a Sony DVP Player in the network that makes your router throw an extra IP for the service to work. Just guessing here. In my case, it was my PLEX server asking my router for an extra IP for media distribution within my network.