Hitron CODA-4582 will not allow internet access for dlink DIR-850L after bridge mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CODA-4582 in bridge mode drastically slower dl speeds through D-Link DIR-880L router

Was anyone able to resolve this?  I think the resolution was to get the latest firmware beta but that was quite a long time ago.  I now have the latest 2.0.10.28T2 firmware and am still not able to connect to the internet properly with my Dlink-868L router.

I have given up and switched back to gateway mode for the CODA 4582 but would like to use my dlink router instead.  Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Re: Hitron CODA-4582 in bridge mode drastically slower dl speeds through D-Link DIR-880L router

Hi @sikhness,

Thanks for reaching out.  You've come to the right place! Our Community is a veritable treasure trove of information.

While I'm not personally too familiar with your D-Link 868L, perhaps our Community or Resident Experts @Datalink @gp-se @Gdkitty might be able to offer some guidance?

RogersShaun

I Plan to Stick Around

This seems to be an ongoing issue with using the modem in bridge mode with an external router. I also have the 2.0.10.28T2 firmware, and I have also reverted back to using the modem in gateway mode. I had even replaced the router thinking it was an issue with my router, but still experience slow download speeds (2-3mbps) running through the new D-Link.

I don't know why this post is marked as "Solved" when clearly it still isn't fixed...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Scionergy @sikhness

You both have D-Link routers that are having issues, so something with the CODA is not compatible with D-Link. I personally have been running my CODA in gateway mode for 10 months now without issue. Have you guys verified that your D-Link routers are running the latest firmware? Ensure the latest firmware is installed, then factory reset the D-Link and run it at default settings for a few days to see if it works. 

I had a TP-Link C3150, and now pfsense connected to my CODA without issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes my DLink router is running the latest firmware and it has been factory reset, I made sure to do that first before trying to connect it up.

Then when I put a network cable from LAN1 of the CODA to the WAN port of my DLink, no internet connection is given.  If I put the cable onto one of the LAN ports on the DLink instead of the WAN, I get some minor connection where only Google.com loads and nothing else.

If I connect my computer directly to the CODA however, the internet works properly, but of course I need a router to split that internet connection.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sikhness wrote:

Yes my DLink router is running the latest firmware and it has been factory reset, I made sure to do that first before trying to connect it up.

Then when I put a network cable from LAN1 of the CODA to the WAN port of my DLink, no internet connection is given.  If I put the cable onto one of the LAN ports on the DLink instead of the WAN, I get some minor connection where only Google.com loads and nothing else.

If I connect my computer directly to the CODA however, the internet works properly, but of course I need a router to split that internet connection.

@sikhness

Have you tired using another LAN port on the CODA instead of port 1? Also did you set the coda into bridge mode, let it reboot then plug the d-link from a LAN port on the CODA to the WAN port on your D-Link? Also verify the D-Link is set to router mode?

Since you connected the coda to a lan port on the D-Link and got internet access that makes me think the CODA wasn't put into bride mode.

I Plan to Stick Around

@gp-se wrote:

@sikhness wrote:

@sikhness

Have you tired using another LAN port on the CODA instead of port 1? Also did you set the coda into bridge mode, let it reboot then plug the d-link from a LAN port on the CODA to the WAN port on your D-Link? Also verify the D-Link is set to router mode?

Since you connected the coda to a lan port on the D-Link and got internet access that makes me think the CODA wasn't put into bride mode.

Yes I tried using LAN port 4 as well and it was the same behaviour.  The CODA was set to bridge mode the entire time otherwise I understand there would be conflicts.  The DLink router was set to the default mode of DHCP (the other options are PPPOE and a bunch of other things that require a username/password).

The CODA was definitely in bridge mode (gateway features turned off) because I couldn't even access the UI anymore for the CODA, plus I had restarted the CODA a few times to make sure it took the changes.

I Plan to Stick Around

Gateway mode access: 192.168.0.1
Bridge mode access : 192.168.100.1
I Plan to Stick Around

@sikhness

With CODA in Bridge mode hooked Port1 to router's WAN, what speed your D-Link router led shows on WAN port: 100 or 1000Mbps? I noticed current CODA FW having issues with some routers auto identifying ethernet cable type and speed capacity. Also try a different CAT6 or 7 cable. If it shows 100, login to the bridged modem (don't reset) or router and set it manually to 1000 on port 1. Also try to manually assign your D-Link router a new MAC address in the range matching CODA MACs range, and see if speed improves. It all may have something to do with CMTS or CODA software not compatible well with D-Link FW. I noticed similar issue with some PC Ethernet cards and other router makes in Bridge mode. Let us know the outcomes of your above tests. If you don't do manual tests above, then the conversation will go on forever this way:

- you say "my speed is low"

- they say "it should be OK" Smiley Very Happy

Also, try installing alternative FW into D-Link like DD-WRT or other best supporting your router chipsets with open or closed source drivers (as per router FW forums you need to research), and see if the result will differ with default alternative FW settings. You can always revert to the router factory FW.

I've Been Here Awhile

I too have a DIR880L router and it was working great with the CODA 4582 in bridge mode.  Recently there was an outage in my neighbourhood and I lost cable, internet and home phone.  After the outage was over, I had the problem of slow download speeds and slow internet browsing through the router but when I connected my pc directly to the CODA 4582 modem, the speed was normal (>300Mbps) and internet browsing was fast.  After talking to customer support and rebooting the modem and router several times, things would work fine then after a day, back to the slow speeds from my router.

I decided to factory reset the CODA4582 and operate it in gateway mode.  Download speeds were normal through both wired and wireless connections to the CODA.  On a whim, I connected my DIR880L router to the modem (which is still in gateway mode).  My router is running as a router (not AP) and I assigned my router address to 192.168.200.1 and channel 11 and it works!  I don't know how or why, but now I have two wireless networks, 192.168.0.xx from the CODA and 192.168.200.xx from my DIR880L and the download speeds are the same.

I was under the impression that to connect a router to the modem, 

either the modem had to be in bridged mode with the connected router in router mode handling DHCP

or the modem is in gateway mode with the router running as an AP.

For now, my setup is working fine and am not going to mess with it until it's broken.