Hitron CODA 4582 Device Filtering

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CODA 4582 Device Filtering

Hi, on phone 1 hour last evening with Rogers Support and they are stumped as well. I need to have device filtering configured on my wifi access on new Hitron CODA 4582.  The firmware is capable, however, specifically I need to limit the hours of access for various devices (by MAC Addresses) during specific hours (block wifi access after 8pm and allow after 8am next day). . The firmware allows you to add a device to the list of managed devices no problem. You can then select the time to start "managing the devices" and can specify the days, start and end times for blocking the device.  The format is military time (i.e. 20:00pm start to 08:00am end).  The issue is the firware gives an "invalid date format" when you enter a time period that spans over into a next day. For instance, no problem having device "blocked" from 20:00 pm to 23:59pm ....however if you want to block from 20:00pm to 08:00am the following day.."invalid date format".  We tried several work-arounds: 1. Tried to enter two separate periods in the day to "block" (example: 00:01am to 08:00am AND 20:00pm to 23:59 on the same day) - but the firware does not appear to allow more than 1 blocked period for a device in a day. 2. We tried to enter the MAC Address of the device in the Managed List a second time (thinking that perhaps we could then register different block periods for each entry...No luck - the Hitron Firware only allows one entry of a specific MAC Address in the managed list.  I don't know what else to try (and neither did Rogers Support).  My previous Bell modem/router - which was very outdated had the ability to block devices during multiple periods within the same day and spanning days.  The CODA 4582 seems to be very rudimentary...max 1 block period and it has to be within the same 24 hour period of a day. Anyone have any advice or a solution ? (If you do, you will have shown up Rogers Technmical Support .....as well as Google - because nobody seems to have identified this shortcoming. For now I have blocking configured from 20:00 pm to 23:59pm each day....it is only a matter of time until the "teens" figure out that it is unblocked after midnight  :-).  

***EDITED LABELS***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CODA 4582 Device Filtering

For the longest time, i have kept the rogers modem as doing all the work.. and just using a 3rd party router just as an access point for better wireless.

But i was wanting to start to do the same thing.

I found it very limiting as well.

One reason i bit the bullet, and finally went to bridge mode with my 3rd party.
Its not the most NEWEST router.. a N only ASUS RT-N66U.. but has much more capability in this way.
Its time management, gives you the full week and blocks for each hour durring the day.. so you just turn that one block on/off

I'm Here A Lot

Have tried multiple times to get this to work, as well as to have Rogers provide user manual for this modem, to no avail. Device filtering LOOKS simple enough - trying to limit wifi use for teenagers' devices - but it doesn't do anything. Wifi never cuts off. I'm sure I'm missing something basic. Welcome any suggestions!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at the following manual for the CGN3, page 97.  The user interface is pretty well the same across most of the Hitron modems, except for newer modems which have more capability such as 802.11ac.  

CGN3 user manual

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

Have a look at the Managed All Day section of the table on page 100.

I'm Here A Lot

I feel like I'm missing something very basic. It seems like a no-brainer to set up, but I've tried multiple different combinations and nothing's working - the device never loses connection to WiFi. See screenshot below.

Any thoughts?

managed_device.png

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey.  One thing you may want to double check.  When I was dealing with the Rogers tech, we noticed that the time (time and time zone) that were displayed in the setting for the Modem/Router were incorrect.  I believe that it can delivered with default settings that were not refklective of (well, in my case Eastern Ontario).  The time was waaaay off from the actual time...so the time when I thought it should be blocking was actually 3 hours earlier....during a time when it was not blocked.  When I adjusted the time time setting correctly everything seemed to work properly.

I'm Here A Lot

This is so frustrating. Still not working. The time zone was indeed off and I reset it to Eastern, but the wifi never cuts out as per the managed times below. Sad.

settings.PNG

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Nanci,

I will look at my modem this weekend and see if I can post how mine is configured - that may help. Stay tuned ! 

I've Been Around

I had the same problem.  I wanted to shut down certain devices from 9pm to 8am the next morning.  Basically an 11 hour  blackout period.  Same as you I could only shut it down from 9 to 11:59 or midnight to whenever the next day, but not both.  Here was my work around and it works great.

You need to change the time of day settings to a later time zone.  If you want to shut the device down at 9, pick a time zone that's 3 hours ahead of yours, so that the start time in the system is midnight.  If you want it  to shut down at 8, pick a time zone 4 hours ahead.  Then just pick the  acknowledge on time that equals the blackout period.  So if you wanted it to shut down at 9 and come back on at 8am the next morning, that's an 11 hour window.   Set the management time from 00:00 to 11:00 with the new time zone.

To change the time zone:

Go to the Admin tab

Go to the Time Setting tab

Make sure the ToD Function is enabled

Change ToD Function to the desired time zone.  I'm eastern so for a 9 pm start or 3 hours before midnight, I changed my time zone to mid-atlantic.  Now at 9pm, my router thinks it's midnight and I can set an 11 hour blackout period by setting the management device time from midnight or 00:00 to 11:00.

I hope this helps

I've Been Here Awhile

I can't seem to get to the part where I can enter start/stop times.  I can only get to the part where I can 'manage' each device and block or allow.  What am I missing.