Hitron CGNS looses settings after power failure or reboot

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hitron CGNS looses settings after power failure or reboot

I have a Hitron CGNS modem/router in my home:

HW Version 1A
SW Version 4.2.4.6
Serial Number 25113XXXXXXX

I'm getting emails and popups from Rogers to change my default SSID and passphrase.  This is something that I'd changed when we got the modem, but gave up trying because each time we loose power or reboot the modem, all settings (including the SSID/phasephrase) are lost.

There is a backup settings option under the admin tab, but it didn't work.  No matter what I appear to get the defaults back again after restore.

Is there some unobvious magic way to make this router retain any user configured settings?

Peeter

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGNS looses settings after power failure or reboot

First consideration is to run the modem off of a UPS so that it never experiences a power outage unless its a long one.  It doesn't have to be a big UPS.  If you run your computer, monitors, modem, and router off of it, all it has to do is let you shut down your computer to avoid a disk crash. 

Did you reboot the modem after the restore, as in ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET ... Reboot?  That should result in setting the modem back to where it was.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First consideration is to run the modem off of a UPS so that it never experiences a power outage unless its a long one.  It doesn't have to be a big UPS.  If you run your computer, monitors, modem, and router off of it, all it has to do is let you shut down your computer to avoid a disk crash. 

Did you reboot the modem after the restore, as in ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET ... Reboot?  That should result in setting the modem back to where it was.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am on the CGN3, and DONT loose settings after a reboot..
So something is definately up.

I would follow Datalinks instructions and first do a factory reset.. this may keep it in a more stable state.

Then try and see if it keeps it over a power blip.