Hitron CGNM-3552 wifi sucks!!! Hidden Network????

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Hitron CGNM-3552 wifi sucks!!! Hidden Network????

I recently upgraded to the gigabit service, and had to switch to the Hitron CGNM-3552 unit.

The wired LAN speeds are amazing, no problem there.

The wifi however, really sucks bad.

With my old Hitron CGN3 unit, there were no wifi problems at all, range or speed. The new unit is installed in the exact same place as the old one, with no other changes. The wifi range and speed is very poor with this new unit. The signal strength seems to randomly come and go.

I noticed I was now picking up an SSID with the name "Hidden Network" at full strength that I have never seen before. Using the program WifiInfoView, I can see that it's MAC address is identical except for the last character to my 2.4g SSID's MAC address. I am convinced that this unit is broadcasting this signal. I cannot connect to this SSID, nor can I see it in any of the settings for the modem.

Even putting my son's laptop right beside the modem results in approx. 35mbps down and 17 mbps up while connected through the wifi, while the LAN speeds are in usually in excess of 850mbps down and 35mbps up.  All tests done using speedtest.net.

I have been on the phone to Rogers technical support twice; the first person suggested I return the unit for another one, which I did, which has the same results. The second person had no idea about the "Hidden Network" SSID being broadcast, and only offered that maybe I should use a separate wifi router instead.

Is there a firmware update for this unit? I can't even find a users manual online.

My unit's info:

Hardware Version 1A

Software Version 4.5.8.19

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Seriously frustrated here!!!

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: Hitron CGNM-3552 wifi sucks!!! Hidden Network????

Hi @corvetteboy

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

You've come to the right place for assistance with your internet connection.

Check out the the Firmware Trial offered here.

Any other suggestions here @Datalink or @Gdkitty

@RogersPrasana

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@corvetteboy, the hidden or ghost network is seen on the CGN3ACSMR and CGNM-3552.  This may also apply to anyone who has firmware version 4.5.8.20 or .21 on their CGN3xxx modems.  I have forwarded the problem to the engineering staff but have not seen any response to date.  My personal opinion is the unstable hidden network may be responsible for the poor wifi performance, making it worse than it naturally is for these series of modems.  Unfortunately, there isn't anything anyone can do anything about this (beyond the engineering staff), unless of course you decide to run the modem in Bridge mode and use your own wifi router.  

I noticed that you have 4.5.8.19 loaded, which is the baseline version for this modem.  That version will see dead LAN ports when the modem is connected to a Casa CMTS.  If you have 32 downstream channels and/or CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:xx:xx:xx sequence in your DOCSIS EVENTS log, then your modem is connected to a Casa Systems CMTS.  You should go ahead and request the latest trial version, 4.5.8.22 as indicated 

at message # 471 (top post) on the following page.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

This version resolves the issue of dead LAN ports as well as problems connecting to Chromecast devices.  

You might also notice high ping times.  This is a an issue that is due to the combination of the Casa CMTS and signal processing in the Hitron modem.  That is an engineering problem that tech support cannot resolve.  More info on this can be found in my response to this issue located here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30961807-Internet-Latency-Spikes-every-30-seconds

Here is a link to the CGN3 user manual which is fairly close to all of the CGN3 series modems and CGNM-3552 as well.  Its unfortunate that no company sees fit to produce an updated PDF user manual for the modems, although this is very common throughout the tech industry.  

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I posted this comment in the    http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3480... thread and it applies to this modem as well as I own the cgnm-3552:

From what I can gather, I believe the issue lies with the Intel Puma chipset (which impact this model and others including the Ignite) and the only way to resolve this would be that:

- Rogers would present this issue to Hitron and push for a speedy fix.

- Hitron would have to contact the application engineers at Intel to get the latest SDK drivers

- Reproduce this issue in their lab (which can be very easy to do)

- Intel would have to modify the drivers to fix this and update their SDK

- Hitron would retest and confirm the fix

- Roll this fix into a new firmware update

Being a retired application engineer and have worked with Intel and other companies, this process takes several months and is not an overnight fix.  I am unsure if this is only a 2.4 Ghz issue or if this replicating also impacts 5 Ghz bands. If it is only 2.4 Ghz this is not as bad as most people will tend to adopt 5 Ghz (especially with wave 2 devices coming out).

Step one would be for Rogers to PUSH this as a priority issue and then Hitron can escalate this with Intel.  If Rogers just gives us lip service but not escalate this matter, it won't go anywhere.  I think there is enough info here for Rogers to move this upwards if they choose to (and I hope they do).  

FYI, calling Rogers support to tell them about this I believe is pointless as most first line techs have no clue what they are doing and will ask to reboot the modem and do all sorts of rigmarole which will have 0 impact on this issue.

Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

I had similiar problems, wifi was terrible. It would freeze up every couple days and I would have to unplug it to reset the modem. I talked with Rogers Technical support and they would say exchange the modem so I did that twice. I finally gave up and bought a linksys router, turned Rogers gateway off and its been working perfectly since. I was getting frustrated with my family not being able to access the internet but now there hasn't been a problem. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Even I am having problems with this router.

I have spoken to Rogers Support three times and changed the router twice.

Now they are advising that I should use ethernet and not wireless.  This defeats the very purpose for which I brought this router.

Rogers's technician even came home to check the system, and even he suggested that I change to ethernet!

I keep getting a Network Link named SDSAM8 and SDSAM8-5g both at full strength whereas mine, when connected is not even half strength.

Most annoyingly the wifi connect keeps dropping randomly.

Rogers must change this router to something superior. This one simply sucks.

I've Been Here Awhile

I wonder if I am having the same problem with my cgnm 3552 which I have had since April/2017
I see a connection with no SSID, is this OK?

SSID              : F6149-5G
MAC Address       : A8-4E-3F-EE-0C-68
PHY Type          : 802.11n
RSSI              : -53
Signal Quality    : 78
Average Signal Quality: 78.4
Frequency         : 2.412
Channel           : 1
Information Size  : 395
Elements Count    : 16
Company           : Hitron Technologies. Inc
Router Model      : APxx
Router Name       : F6149-5G
Security          : WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK
Cipher            : TKIP+CCMP
Maximum Speed     : 216 Mbps
Channel Width     : 20 MHz
Channels Range    : 1 - 3
BSS Type          : Infrastructure
WPS Support       : Locked
First Detection   : 2017-04-28 2:13:18 PM
Last Detection    : 2017-04-28 2:23:38 PM
Detection Count   : 582
Start Time        : 2017-04-17 3:58:48 PM
Minimum Signal Quality: 70
Maximum Signal Quality: 86
==================================================

SSID              :
MAC Address       : A8-4E-3F-EE-0C-6A
PHY Type          : 802.11n
RSSI              : -49
Signal Quality    : 85
Average Signal Quality: 79.4
Frequency         : 2.412
Channel           : 1
Information Size  : 191
Elements Count    : 14
Company           : Hitron Technologies. Inc
Router Model      :
Router Name       :
Maximum Speed     : 216 Mbps
Channel Width     : 20 MHz
Channels Range    : 1 - 3
WPS Support       : No
Last Detection    : 2017-04-28 2:22:52 PM
Detection Count   : 68
Start Time        : 2017-04-17 3:58:48 PM
Minimum Signal Quality: 73
Maximum Signal Quality: 86

SSID              : F6149-5G-5G
MAC Address       : AA-4E-3F-EE-0C-60
PHY Type          : 802.11ac
RSSI              : -60
Signal Quality    : 99
Average Signal Quality: 89.7
Frequency         : 5.745
Channel           : 149
Information Size  : 492
Elements Count    : 18
Company           :
Router Model      : APxx
Router Name       : F6149-5G-5G
Maximum Speed     : 1300 Mbps
Channel Width     : 80 MHz
Channels Range    : 147 - 163
WPS Support       : Locked
Last Detection    : 2017-04-28 2:23:40 PM
Detection Count   : 622
Start Time        : 2017-04-17 3:58:53 PM
Minimum Signal Quality: 66
Maximum Signal Quality: 99

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barryth I believe the CGN 3 series modem broadcast a hidden SSID. The Newer CODA modems don't do this.

I've Been Here Awhile

"Newer CODA modems don't do this"

Do you have ant idea why I have the extra connection MAC Address       : A8-4E-3F-EE-0C-6A  is there?

Cheers
Barry

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barryth I am not sure why they broadcast the extra mac address, that is something @RogersDave would have to answer.