Hitron CGN3ROG Downstream and Upstream available channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3ROG Downstream and Upstream available channels

Under DOCSIS WAN is showing the following:

Downstream Port ID 1-24 and Upstream Port ID 1-2
How many ports should there actually be - are these numbers correct?

Thank you for your insight!

*Edited Labels*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3ROG Downstream and Upstream available channels

@E-SK you should have 24 downstream channels running and three upstream channels running.  Count the downstream channels to ensure that you do have 24 channels running.  If you have a quick look at the channels numbers, its easy to miss a channel or two that might be missing.  I've done that often enough, so, its worth a closer inspection just to ensure that all 24 channels are running.  For your modem, the downstream signal levels should be centered around 0 dBmV with a signal to noise ratio in the 36 to 40 dVmV range.  The upstream signal levels should be in a 36 to 40 dBmV range.  The failure point for the upstream channels is 51 dBmV although Rogers uses 52 dBmV. 

When you have a cable or connector failure on the go, the Cable Modem Termination System will command the modem to increase its output power on all three upstream channels in order to keep the upstream arrival signal levels and signal to noise ratios within an acceptable range.  The modem runs out of power at 52 dBmV and drops a channel in order to increase the power output on the other two channels.  If that doesn't work, another channel is dropped.  When you lose an upstream channel you will notice the difference as the modem's ability to respond to incoming data with the necessary packet receipts is hobbled, as is anything like data backups to off site servers.  

Call tech support and if you only see two upstream channels, let the Customer Service Rep know that.  Ask him or her to run a signal check on the modem.  I'm assuming that it will fail at which point the CSR should arrange for a tech visit at your convenience.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN3ROG Downstream and Upstream available channels

Thank you so much for your detailed information.

What happened recently was I disconnected Teksavvy modem without realizing this would impact Rogers modem signal strength.

Note: I have had both modems connected and tweaked (via tech visits - individually with each installation) when both modems were being utilized simultaneously for several months. Now that I dropped and disconnected Teksavvy service/modem, leaving only Rogers modem connected, is it safe to assume obviously the signal strengths would require re-tweaking?