Hitron CGN3ACSMR | PoE?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3ACSMR | PoE?

I'm trying to figure out if this device supports Power over Ethernet devices.

A friend has it in a home office and wants to hook up a Polycom phone that is powered by PoE. When i try to do so there is no signal to the phone.

Any help with this is appreciated.

*edited labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN3ACSMR | PoE?

@yeshyeshyeshAccording to the modem specs it is not a PoE device. You would need to go out and purchase a 3rd party PoE switch that would connect into the modem as well as into the Polycom phone to allow it to function on PoE.

I've Been Here Awhile

What I thought but wanted to confirm. Thank you.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, even up to  your really espensive home based routers.. most of them are NOT PoE 😞

Would would have to put a PoE switch inbetween.. or if its only the one device (and you dont need the switch for anything else),  you might be cheaper to get a PoE injector.

I Plan to Stick Around

Agreed on if it is just the single device that a PoE injector would be the best bet (Unless you are expanding to additional devices later. Yay future planning).

One thing to make sure is to validate what version of PoE the device supports ( 802.3af (PoE) and 802.3at (PoE+)) as each one supports different wattages and make sure that the PoE device is sending out the right amount of power to the endpoint.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for all this feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.