Hitron CGN3 vs Hitron CGN3ACR on Rogers Ignite 250u

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron CGN3 vs Hitron CGN3ACR on Rogers Ignite 250u

I am currently on the rogers ignite 250 unliimited plan and I just recently upgraded my rogers modem/router from CGN3 to CGN3ACR. I had the opportunity to perform some speed tests using both modems and I discovered that the download speeds for my wireless (5Ghz-band) N clients dropped by about 20 - 40 mbps however my wireless AC clients substantially increased, as should be expected. The upload speeds were very consistent between the CGN3 and the CGN3ACR. Rogers speed test always indicated an upload speed of about 10-11 mbps for both my AC wireless clients and my 5Ghz-Band N wireless clients. Now as for the download speed performance, I expected my speeds to substantially increase for my AC wireless clients which they did, however what puzzled me the most was that the download speeds for my 5GHz band-N clients decreased. Shouldn't those speeds remain the same between the CGN3 and CGN3ACR?

I performed all the speed tests late at night (about 2 am) using rogers ookla speed test. Under wireless 5GHz basic settings the wireless mode was set to 802.11ac, Channel Bandwidth was set to 80MHz, and Wireless Channel was set to Auto (changing this value didn't really affect speeds).

Here are my results:

Desktop PC (AC client): CGN3 (200mbps down / 11mbps up) ---- CGN3ACR (326mbps down / 11mbps up)

Laptop (Dual Band N client): CGN3 (160-180mbps down / 11mbps up) ---- CGN3ACR (120-140mbps down / 11mbps up)

Iphone 5 (Dual Band N client): CGN3 (100-110mbps down / 11 mbps up) ---- CGN3ACR (80-90mbps down / 11 mbps up)

Are there any specific settings I can try modifying in order to maximize my download speeds for my 5GHz band N clients?

What could be the underlying issue for the decrease in download speeds?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback, thank you.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Hitron CGN3 vs Hitron CGN3ACR on Rogers Ignite 250u

Hello @ahdfahf, quite interesting post, thank you for the analysis and comparison. Even though AC is backwards compatible, N/G/B clients may not be optimal speed wise. Personally, I would add another SSID and lock it to N, and connect Laptop and iPhone to that SSID. Technically it should yield optimal speeds. Let us know if you need assistance in setting up additional SSID.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

I also have the 250mb package and currently have a ticket open because I'm not getting the correct speed. And it's going a 100mb slower then it should.

What was your overall speed on the old box when you would do a speed test. I only get 115mb at the moment. I'm happy that my upload goes the proper 20mb, it's just my download going the incorrect speed.

I'm thinking I might have to update to a new modem but it's really not that old, I still consider it new. Was just thinking about it after I saw the post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rogers doesn't like the pictures I uploaded so I don't think they will like any of my hilarious signatures too.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is that download rate on a wired or wireless connection?  I went back and reviewed your signal levels from your previous posts, and when you posted them they were fine.  Good signal levels and signal to noise ratios on the downstream and good signal levels on the upstream.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You should be getting more than 110ish on that plan, as on the ignite 100u, i am getting 130/10 pretty steadily.

(on wired that is.  Wireless.. which i am using my own RT-N66U, i am only getting 98/10.. but i am pretty sure that is more the wireless card more than anything)

I Plan to Stick Around

I, too, am on the 250u plan and like the previous poster, I am getting 100Mbps less than I should - the upload is fine (20 Mbps).  The tech guy was here for an hour yesterday and placed several phone calls to superiors I guess, and nobody could figure out the problem.  He even ran a cable directly from the box by the road.

I have a ticket open now as well and hopefully this can be remedied

using the new modem

eta:  all the tests were run on a wired computer

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is that download rate on a wired or wireless connection?

I Plan to Stick Around

For me yes it is on a Wired connection. I've said that alot. also it's better to do speed tests on a wired connection anyways. Some wifi devices have limits to how fast they go and those limits can be very small.

Also Rogers had closed my ticket even though I'm still getting 115mb. I would like at least 200mb, which would be close to what there advertising.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rogers doesn't like the pictures I uploaded so I don't think they will like any of my hilarious signatures too.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have ignite 250 and just did a speed test 7:06 tonight the test came back with a 93mbps. Is there an average for the time of day  as lets say a limit to either be above or below? I think thats pretty low for the package. Would the modem be part of the slow speed as Im currently using the advanced modem the Rocket modem doesnt seem to be available anywhere.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is that a wired or wireless speed?  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and post them into this thread.  The tables contain the cable signal levels which may be of interest.