Hitron CGN3 refuses to negotiate 1Gbps in bridged mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron CGN3 refuses to negotiate 1Gbps in bridged mode

Hi,

I have a CGN3 in bridged mode combined with an Asus RT-AC87U router.  No matter what I try the CGN3 negotiates 10/100.  This results in download speeds of 89Mbps when I have ignite 250.  When I connect my laptop directly to the modem I get the 1Gbps connection and speeds over 250Mbps.  I have tried putting a gigabit swtich in between to force the negotiate but no luck.  Anyone have any ideas as I cannot find a way to force the Asus or the CGN3 to 1000

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN3 refuses to negotiate 1Gbps in bridged mode

Hi,

So after getting the info that the LED on the front if a little bit off I decided to work back down the chain again.  Going into the NIC card I found that I had a new driver that had been installed.  I rolled back the driver and now the ASUS is seeing the NIC as 1000.  Looks like something between the ASUS and the Realtek driver.  Now getting 321Mbps down when running the speedcheck!

Thank you for the help because I would have been spinning my wheels on getting the front LED to go blue 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What color is the lights on the ports at the back of the CGN3?

If its organge/yellow, it IS connecting at 1000.  (the CGN3 series is reversed from most industry standard for some reason.. where green is usually 1000 connection.

I know some others with the ASUS, were having issues were things around the QoS and routing things, were actually slowing it down.
Hopefully Datalink can show up and lend some help, he is quite well versed in that particular issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a couple of things to check:

1.  On the Asus router, login and navigate to WAN....DUAL WAN.  Make sure that this is disabled.

2.  Navigate to LAN....SWITCH CONTROL and ensure that the Hardware Acceleration is enabled.  There are actually two components to this on these higher end routes, one is the Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) and one more which I will look up.  If the Hardware Acceleration is split into those components, enable both of them.  Jumbo Frame should be disabled.

Have a look at the following thread and read thru message #3 regarding CTF and Asus routers for more info on CTF and conflicting router functions.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/254...

Personal opinion it sounds like the WAN port or port controller might be bad.  Don't discount the possibility of a bad port on a new device of any type.  If you connect to a LAN port on the router instead, for test purposes you should see that the connected port LED on the back of the CGN3 is amber, denoting a 1 Gb/s connection.  If its green, as before, I'd say that there is a problem with the port controller on the Asus router or with the ethernet cable it happens to be different than the one that you used for the laptop test.  The port on the CGN3 can't tell the difference between a 10/100 Mb/s connected port or ethernet cable of that speed, despite the connection to a gigabit port with that cable.  To run gigabit speeds on an ethernet cable, all 4 wire pairs must be connected end to end.  If only two wire pairs are connected because its the way that the cable is built, or maybe because the cable is damaged or doesn't connect at either end due to contact problems, then you would only see 10/100 Mb/s data rates depending on the actual wire pairs that are working.

The fact that the CGN3 ports run a gigabit speeds with the laptop connected demonstrates that the CGN3 ports are ok.  So, the question remains, what is the problem with the ports on the Asus router.

Are you running stock firmware on the Asus router?

Have a look at those and let us know what you find.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

I am getting the amber connection on the back but the LAN indicator on the front is blinking green.  From what I understood on the Hitron site is that blinking green means connected at 100.

Green, blinking A device is connected to one of the LAN ports via a Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) link, and is transmitting or receiving data.

Green, steady A device is connected to one of the LAN ports via a Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) link, but is not transmitting or receiving data.

Blue, blinking A device is connected to one of the LAN ports via a Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbps) link, and is transmitting or receiving data.

Blue, steady A device is connected to one of the LAN ports via a Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbps) link, but is not transmitting or receiving data.

So that has me a bit confused.  The laptop connects with amber in the back and blinking blue in the front.

I am going to take a look at the settings that Datalink talked about and report back.

Thank you for the guidance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ignore the front end LEDs for the moment.  The important connected LEDs are at the back to indicate either a gigabit connection (amber) or 10/100 Mb/s (green).  There was an issue with those front LEDs that I would have to go back and find.  I thought that they were working correctly now, maybe I'm wrong. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink,

I'm running the CGN3 in bridged mode, running 4.2.4.5. I have a gig up link to my router (amber) but the front flashes Green.  I had no idea about the front indicator!  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so the front LED is flashing which indicates a 100 Mb/s connection.  That confirms that the front LED issue appears to alive and well.  Ergo, ignore the front LEDs.  I never bothered to look at the front LEDs on my CGN3. 

Thanks....

@qwerk007, when you ran a test thru the Asus router, was that a wired test, wired from the CGN3 to the Asus router and then wired once again from the Asus router to the laptop?

Fwiw, I picked up a CGN3ACSMR to get around the latency issue with the newer firmware, and...., yup, the front LED flashes green indicating that the modem is connected and transmitting to / from a 100 Mb/s device, when it reality, its running in Bridge mode and connected to my RT-AC68U, running at 1 Gb/s for an interconnect rate.  This is seen via the connected port LED at the back of the CGN3ACSMR (amber) and seen via the speedtests which top out at or just under 328 Mb/s on a 250 Mb/s service.

So, add the front LED fix to the list of "to do" items.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

So after getting the info that the LED on the front if a little bit off I decided to work back down the chain again.  Going into the NIC card I found that I had a new driver that had been installed.  I rolled back the driver and now the ASUS is seeing the NIC as 1000.  Looks like something between the ASUS and the Realtek driver.  Now getting 321Mbps down when running the speedcheck!

Thank you for the help because I would have been spinning my wheels on getting the front LED to go blue 🙂

View solution in original post

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Isn't that the same laptop that connects to the CGN3 and runs at the same 320+ Mb/s ??  Fwiw, Realtek network controllers that we've seen on the forum have come in two flavours.  Those that work and cause no problems, and those that will not work no matter what we try.  In the the latter case, forum members have gone out and purchased NICs of some other variety for their desktops.  So, just a heads up regarding the Realtek NIC.  Hopefully it keeps working forever, without any issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

One and the same.  Once you gave me the info on the LED that told me that the ASUS and the CGN3 were at 1000.  Only common I had was the laptop so I looked to see what had changed there and a bunch of updates had been processed  and I rolled back the NIC driver.  So I don't know if it was the driver or the fact that it would have done a reset on the NIC and cleared something up.

The embedded NIC on the Lenovo laptop has known issues but did not list ASUS so I guess I just hit something new.

Thanks again for the help!