Hitron CGN3 in bridge mode, D-Link router and Wake on Lan not working outside my home network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3 in bridge mode, D-Link router and Wake on Lan not working outside my home network

Hello,

with my two previous ISPs I have setup my modems and routers to be able to wake my Mac via Wake on Lan functionality by forwarding port 9 UDP. With current setup, same Mac, a new Rogers modem CGN3 in bridge mode, I am able to wake the Mac (connected via ethernet), using my iPhone while on my home wifi network. I use an app called iWOL pro, or one of the many websites that does WOL. When I try from outside my network, by turning wifi off on the phone or from my pc at work, my Mac fails to wake.

I suspect the problem is the modem, as I know the modem itself does not allow for this functionailty when in regular "router" mode.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Hitron CGN3 in bridge mode, D-Link router and Wake on Lan not working outside my home network

Hello, @Steveseg

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for the interesting post. In bridge mode, the modem should be just passing through the traffic. Anybody in the Community has any ideas about this issue?

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN3 in bridge mode, D-Link router and Wake on Lan not working outside my home network

I did it! The solution was to change the subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.128. I found the solution on the D-link forums. This might work on the CGN3 side in router mode.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron CGN3ACSMR router - trying to port forward for Wake on Lan

Hi.  I'm not having much success with this.  I've made sure all the settings required for Wake on Lan are set correctly, assigned a static IP address to the PC I'm trying to wake, forwarded port 9 on the router to the static IP, etc.

But when I try and wake the sleeping PC from another PC on the network - nothing.  No errors, but it stays fast asleep.

Can anybody offer some clues?  Thank you.

I've Been Around

Does not work in hitron router mode 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

Unfortunately it seems like the solution is to get another modem that has the functionality and to put the Hitron into bridge mode. I use a d-link. Beware not all manufacturers support this functionality.