Hitron CGN3 & Xbox One connecion issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN3 & Xbox One connecion issues

I follow what you are saying, I will try some of those other trace routes as well.

I don't expect full speeds, I don't care if they are half speeds, what I care about is being able to actually use my xbox for fun, not to build frustration and raise my blood temperature.

I absolutely do see unregistered hits.  I do see periods of lag/jitter where things slow down to a crawl.  For example, if I play something like COD, everything is fine one minute, someone comes into view and I'm dead, watch the kill cam and see that the other player saw me waaayy before I saw him.  This is not a once in a while type of thing, it is 90% of the time no matter what I am playing.

Latency stays pretty consistent at 83ms, MTU is always in the 1400's and packet lose can be anywhere from 0% - 12%.

Its funny, I'm actually at my office right now which also connects through Rogers fibre and I ran a tracert from my desktop against xboxlive.com and got a response of 23 hops, the initial 5 hops were Rogers ips and 12 of the total hops were timeouts.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I don't expect full speeds, I don't care if they are half speeds, what I care about is being able to actually use my xbox for fun, not to build frustration and raise my blood temperature.

Oh I agree whole heartedly with you on that my friend. (Kudos for the post just on that btw). But to be honest with you, I stopped playing CoD awhile ago when they made the decision to stop having dedicated servers for the game play. Instead, they would have the gameplay hosted on someones internet connection. Since then, the game has been pretty much that. A rage fest where the game pretty much became a craptastical display of WTFery.

There would be matches where the game play would be just fine, and then others just the way you said it where someone would just come into my field of view, but the death cam shows that they saw me way before I saw them. I don't know if they changed back to dedicated servers for game play, but I pretty much changed to Battlefield for that particular reason. For the most part, I get a more consistent game play experience.

Maybe you can research CoD to see if they still do that. It might be the source of your ragequits if the game play is still being hosted by the players.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Timeouts are not ALWAYS conductive to problems though.. all depends.

EG: I play Wow.
If i do a tracert to the wow servers.. usually around.. 15-18 hops.
Last 5-6 hops, are timeouts. 

BUT, this is OK.  As those last hops, are INTERNAL, they are behind Blizzards firewall, and they dont respond to pings, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty - yes, I agree with you there, it was just funny to see.  I already learned that lesson from trying to ping Rogers DNS servers in the past without realizing they hid them after the whole DNS server crashes they experienced in the past.

I Plan to Stick Around

@gisuck - I have played Battlefield a bit in the past as well as TItanfall but never really focused on performance too much as the game play was still a bit new to me so I was more focused on controls.  I will do some research and check those things out again to see.  Although, the network test on the xbox does seem to be consistently bad just like the COD performance so I'm not sure it will be just COD hosting on user machines (if that is the case).  I will try it out anyways.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While not gaming.. i wonder trying some video streaming.. youtube, netflix if you have an account?

Would test to see how consistant the stream is... and drops/chokes, would effect the stream your playing.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sure, I can try that out too.  I have netflix and apple tv.  To be honest, I don't usually watch those from that tv but I will give it a shot.  My daughter does use a different tv to watch Netflix all the time and she does have some major issues where the movie/show will stop right in the middle and she will have to start it from the beginning again and fast forward to where it froze up on her.

I have always assumed that was due to the Rogers/Netflix dispute.

Netflix is also by a wireless connection through.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That could be another issue.. something with the wireless, etc.

I stream netflix, wirelessly.. but the TV (smart TV) with netflix, is.. oh 3 ft away from the router Smiley Tongue
I generally have never had an issues at all.. and pull an almost 5m or higher stream from netflix without issues..
(few rare times, was more with the movie itself)

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hey Rogers community,

I have been a recent subscriber to the Rogers Ignite 100 Unlimited package as of late, and was quickly disheartened by the performance issues I was having with the Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem/router combo and my Xbox One.

I chose the internet package due to having a laptop, Samsung Note 4 and an Xbox One all requiring speedy connectivity... Especially knowing that next-gen consoles rely heavily on downloadable content, as well as the games themselves being quite large downloads (you are able to purchase and download them over the air, typically ranging from 2GB + per game).

However, to my dismay I discovered that the Hitron CGN3 and the Xbox One are not the best of friends. The issue I was having was not universal to each game played, however I noticed that playing any EA developed game, whether it be Fifa 15, NHL 15, Battlefield 4 or Battlefield Hardline that I could never finish a full game. In the sense that I would be playing, and without warning I would be returned to the main menu while mid-game with the same message; Your Connection to the EA servers has been lost.

I have had issues in the past with having a strict NAT on my Xbox 360 console. It was typically a simple fix, set a static IP on the xbox, log into the router's gateway on a computer and simply open the ports designated by Microsoft. Then voila, open NAT and no issues.

I opened the Network menu in the Xbox One's settings.. In which it showed that my Nat was Strict.

So as before, I set a static IP for the Xbox. Then logged into the CGN3, designated the necessary ports and rebooted both devices.

When I re-opened the Network menu, it said my NAT port was now open. Thinking this would solve my disconnect issues I began to play Battlefield... Only to be disconnected mid-game once again with the same lost connection message.

Not giving up, I then tried to set the Xbox's IP into the DMZ... Same results. I tried to set the Xbox to automatically populate the IP instead of use the static setting, then I reserved the DHCP of the Xbox on the router. (Essentially the same as using a static IP)... Same results.

After searching through the net, I learned two things, this was a common occurance for owners of the CGN3 and the Xbox One with little to no support on how to fix the issue. And I also then discovered there is an advanced Network diagnosis hidden in the Xbox One, when you are in the Network settings, select the Multiplayer Connection Test, and once the results have populated, press and hold all of the left and right bumpers and triggers on the controller. It will then go into an even more in-depth diagnosis in which it will even describe to you the exact type of NAT you have. I then learned that even though your NAT may read OPEN in the menus previous, it may not actually be open. I realized that my NAT was truly a moderate setting, because instead of saying I was in an "open cone NAT" it told me I was in an "address-restricted NAT".

I began to get frustrated as I tried both using the wifi and a CAT6 ethernet connection, both to no resolution.

After doing a bit of a research on these very boards, I came across this thread; HERE

That thread was more related to a PC game, however it was an issue similar to what I had experienced and the game in question happened to be made by EA. So, seemingly having run out of options other than to buy an external router and bridge the connection like many have had to do, I noticed my CGN3 hadn't been one of the ones to recieve the most recent firmware upgrade...

I sent CommunityHelps a private message with the modem's MAC designation and my Roger's account number, and after an immediate response, I waited. Roughly a day later, I had the latest firmware on the modem. With fingers crossed I opened my Xbox, headed straight to the advanced Network diagnosis, and lo-and-behold I had an open-cone NAT. So far so good, headed to Battlefield, played many full games with no hiccups. Then tried NHL and Fifa 15, and also no connection issues!

So, before you head out to buy a new router, give @communityhelps a PM with the necessary info and give the firmware update a shot!

*****Edit Labels****