Hitron CGN3 WIFI issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3 WIFI issues

Upgraded to the Hitron and trying to connect through wifi and browse...workig with all devices but one.  I have an ip and can ping google but cannot browse.  Tried IE9 and Chrome.  No luck

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 WIFI issues

Have you been able to log into the CGN3 to change parameters?  If you run a command prompt and type:

ipconfig/all     

you will see the list of ethernet parameters including the Default Gateway address in the Ethernet Adapter data group .  That address should match the Private LAN IP address as observed on the STATUS page.  If not, reboot the device.  You might have to disable and then re-enable the ethernet adapter to get it to accept the new network id and gateway address.  There is also the issue of the DNS server address which might have changed from the previous modem to the CGN3.  Rebooting the PC or Laptop should take care of that.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Also make sure that all of your devices are using DHCP rather than static IPs.

I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3ROG Constantly Dropping 2.4GHz Band

Hi everyone,

Basically what's happening is my 2.4GHz wifi band has been disappearing/dropping almost every day.  I've had to reboot the modem every time in the morning (is there a way to even schedule this in the Hitron interface??) because I have some legacy devices that can only connect to 2.4GHz. The 5GHz band has no issues.

Modem CGN3ROG
HW Version 1A
SW Version 4.2.4.11

I've been having this issue for the past couple of weeks; I spoke with a tech support agent this morning over Live Chat and he reinstalled the modem software for me and told me to swap the modem if the issue persists.  He also tested the modem remotely and indicated that there's no interference with the wifi signal.

I'm beginning to think the modem is just showing signs of age... I've had this modem since 2014 (I think)?  I don't remember how long ago but I had it by the time I had the Ignite 60 plan, then Ignite 100u and I recently got switched over to Ignite 150u.

What kind of modem would I be getting if I swapped it in store since I'm on 150u?  The new CGN3's or the CODA?  I've read about the CODA issues and am not sure if I want to deal with them since I am currently also in the market to shop for an actual router since I've only been using the CGN3ROG in gateway mode...  Any suggestions would be welcome!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At least my experience both modems potentially have issues, just different ones.

All in all, the CODA is pretty solid when you bridge it, and use your own router.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  I guess I'll have to find a decent enough router in case I do a future upgrade to Gigabit.

I've Been Around

I've had an internet plan with the CGN3 modem for about 7 months and didn't have any issues until yesterday when the Wi-Fi signal stopped showing on all my devices. I tried turning it off and on again, resetting the device but it's still not showing. All of the lights in the front panel are lit up, except for the 2.4G one. I tried checking the hitron control panel but it says both the 2.4G and 5G are in service and working correctly and yet neither of them show up when trying to connect to Wi-Fi.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello @ElisaMP,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

With so many devices relying on WiFi to connect I can understand how frustrating it is to find one of your WiFi networks has stopped working, all of a sudden. 

The CGN3 modem is quite old so it's possible maybe the modem itself may not be functioning properly especially if you have confirmed that 2.4G WiFi is enabled in the admin settings of the modem. You mentioned doing a reboot and still experiencing the same issue. If you do not have any custom settings on the modem I would recommend a factory reset. If the issue persists after a factory reset you may need to swap out the modem at the Rogers Store

If there are any other users in the Community who have experienced a similar issue with this modem feel free to chime in. I will tag in some of our Resident Experts to provide additional insight, @Datalink, @Gdkitty, and @gp-se.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ElisaMP wrote:

I've had an internet plan with the CGN3 modem for about 7 months and didn't have any issues until yesterday when the Wi-Fi signal stopped showing on all my devices. I tried turning it off and on again, resetting the device but it's still not showing. All of the lights in the front panel are lit up, except for the 2.4G one. I tried checking the hitron control panel but it says both the 2.4G and 5G are in service and working correctly and yet neither of them show up when trying to connect to Wi-Fi.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

@ElisaMP 

I agree with @RogersTony try a factory reset first, if that doesn't solve it then it could be a hardware issue and you should exchange the modem at a Rogers store. Once you factory reset the modem you'll loose all your current passwords and have to start fresh. To factory reset the modem you can push the "reset" button on the back of the modem for 10 seconds then let go. All the lights on the front of the modem will flash and it will boot up.