My new CGN3 Hitron modem must have reset itself (or had some outside influence) overnight. Consequently this morning our WiFi networks (2.4 and 5.0) were not there (because the defaults names had returned). I have checked my Battery Backup unit and there was no power interruption overnight.
I logged in with the default password, then Restored my BackUp cfg file (Yes folks, I really took one!)
Although the web page reported success, the Rogers default network names, pass phrases and the cusadmin user password were still in use. I rebuilt the setup, saved the configuration, then rebooted and it reset everything to defualt again. I tried again from scratch. Again restoring from any newly saved configuration file caused the modem to undo my changes.
Note that I was adding a uniqueness value to the cfg filename so that I could keep more than one. I wondered if although it said "Successful" maybe it had tried a name match and really didn't like it, so I tried using the default name. Still no effect.
I have two questions
1) is the Save/Restore supposed to work, and if so is there any magic to making it work as one would expect?
2) if a reboot or restart reverts to the Rogers defaults, this would seem to be a significant security issue. If I had been away from home on vacation, I would not have been able to access my modem to reset it and it would have been left essentially "open" to anyone to manipulate. My network devices would have been susceptible to nefarious actions.
*** Edited Labels ***
Solved! Solved! Go to Solution.
Can you log into the modem and check what version of software (firmware) it has, as indicated on the STATUS page that is displayed after logging in. I think the latest is 184.108.40.206 which was released no more than a month ago. I wonder if your modem has just been updated and you have managed to find a new firmware bug where the modem is not loading the backup file and storing the data properly? Have you run a factory reset yet? If not, thats the first thing I would do, followed by an other attempt to reload the backup file.
You are correct that it uses 220.127.116.11 - I also noticed some variations in cfg file sizes.
I did quite a bit of experimentation, reboots resets etc - I am not popular at home right now as our WiFi has been emulating a yoyo.
What I discovered is that the settings I have entered are (now anyway) saved through a reboot.
After a factory reset, the cusadmin password, the SSIDs, channels etc were reset to default.
I reloaded the cfg file and it made no difference the password, SSIDs etc were still default.
Wondering - could it be that the restored cfg is not activated until a reboot? Correct it seems - a reboot restored my settings.
Now the Help file hints at this "After restoring the configuration file, the device would be rebooted" however it was not clear that one must manually force a Reboot, but that is how it seems.
So I have learned a little more about how to work the thing, but not sure if this is new to others who may have had more experience with the CGN3
I am still extremely concerned that an outside influence such as a forced Reset after a firmware upgrade (if that likely event is what actually happened) can cause the default password to be re-enabled and the default wireless SSIDs and passphrases also re-enabled.
This would not require much of a black hat neighbour to spot the default SSID come up, connect with the default passphrase and then, take over my network. There does not appear to be an option (unlike competitive routers) to restrict management to a wired device which would alleviate my concern a bit.
My remaining issue is that if I am away from home and a Reset occurs, other devices in the home that use the Wifi would be rendered useless until I am home. There has to be a better way of handling this.
You are correct about the reboot requirement after the file reload. I think that's typical of most routers or modems. The full data reload isn't complete until the reboot is done. Its a little strange that this occurred. I wonder if that is because of an update to 18.104.22.168? The update is a pretty rare occurrence, but, you are correct about being concerned if it leaves the modem in a default state. Only way to solve that one is to run the modem in Bridge mode and use your own router which you have full control over, including running any updates.
Thanks. I guessed about the reboot as my TP-Link originally, and with DD-WRT installed seemed to do their own reboot after a configuration restore.
It would seem a pity to go to Bridge mode as the 2.4 and 5.0 wifi's are nice! My TP-Link does not do 5.0. Since this morning though we have been experiencing other issues where SWMBO's laptop keeps losing its "internet connection" even though its wifi stays up. Seems to revert to "unidentified network" sometimes. Ah well, another issue ....
For your laptops, try removing the network profiles completely from the laptops. Then reboot the laptops and reconnect them to the modem, which will then recreate the network profile using current data. I wonder if something like an update to the modem has caused or created some difference in a parameter which now, is not the same as what is contained in the network profile currently stored on the laptop. I wouldn't think that the update would do that, but, without knowing whats contained in the update, you can't discount the possibility.
Thanks for the additional suggestions Datalink. Although deleting all the profiles on the PC did not resolve it, after a couple more router reboots and PC restarts, the problem went away. Coincidentally I had been unable to reconnect my Chromecast - it either would not connect to the network or said it was connected and then said it had no internet connection (so similar to PC).
Once the PC got working, I let the Chromecast rest a little more, then I tried again - this time successfully.