Hitron CGN3 Router to 802.11b/g/n or mixed mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Hitron CGN3 Router to 802.11b/g/n or mixed mode

I am trying to hook up my fitbit scale to the internet and was told by their customer support that the router needs to be in 802.11b/g/n or mixed mode to work with the scale. I know very little about this - perhaps it is an easy change but I am not sure how to do it. Any suggetions welcome!

***Edit Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

Re: Hitron CGN3 Router to 802.11b/g/n or mixed mode

Hi @lauraluk

Welcome to the Community! 

You have come to the right place, we have Resident Experts like @Datalink who have great knowledge in this area.

Have a look at this post that was created by another Resident Expert @Gdkitty.

I hope this helps, 

Regards, 

RogersAliciaG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lauraluk, to set this up, log into the modem, navigate to the WIRELESS... BASIC SETTINGS page, and on that page you will see a Wireless Mode selection in the lower 2.4 Gghz sub-tab.  Use that drop down menu to select 802.11 b/g/n mixed mode.  Once done, save the settings if in fact you had to change it.  If there were no changes, you can simply log out of the modem.  If you did have to change it, proceed to the ADMIN ... DEVICE RESET page and use the Reboot function to reboot the modem.  After the reboot, your wifi network should be good to go.

I've Been Around

What is the difference between the various wireless modes? 11B/G/N  
I've been having a lot of problems with wifi interference lately and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it.
Also what sort of wifi extender would you recommend to solve this problem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As wireless has come out.. there have been different versions of if.  B first, then G, then N, and now AC (of varying flavors).

As the letters changed.. usually the capable speed increased.

If you are all on newer devices, sometimes forcing it to N will overall provide better speeds.. as it doesnt have to worry about trying to handle the other modes as well.

As for your other issues... if it IS actual interfearance..  then chaning that wont do anything.

If anything, you would want to change the CHANNEL number.   Basic wireless works on the 2.4 specturm.. but there is a range even within that 2.4.  Changing the channel number, moves you up/down in that range, where you hopefully can avoid say other wireless broadcasters being used in that part of the range.
Now, if the interferance is from OTHER things.. (some cordless phones, microwaves, and then even just housing materials, etc), channel wont do much.

Extenders, really only help get the signal farther, not necessarily better.
Thats where many fail setting these up.  They will be like, oh my signal is poor in this room, so put the repeater there so you get a good signal to IT.  Well thats all fine and good.. but if your feeing a POOR signal into it, then that is all you will get passed along.  You are better to put it somewhere closer to the main source, where the signal is decent, then push that out.