Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

If you have port forwarding rules showing up without your input, its most likely due to UPNP being enabled.  Check and ensure that it is disabled, then clear out the port forwarding rule, save the settings as you are doing this and then reboot the modem.  After the reboot you shouldn't have port forwarding rules showing up unexpectedly.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

I am reading this forum because I too have discovered these Toredo & Skype forwarded port mysteriously added to my Hitron CGN3 router. Thanks for all who contributed. I will turn of UPnP and try to digest/understand if this is indeed a 'fix' or what was the real problem. I am uneasy that I can't change the CGN3 username which gives Rogers and others a backdoor into my network.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As long as you change your password, someone shouldnt be able to get into your modem.. (unless they brute forced the password).  That login should not be visible externally.. so really only someone within your own network would then be able to.
Regardless of your regular login username/password... rogers will still have access to the modem.
They have a MSO, Superadmin login.. which gives them access to other settings, etc that we do not see (such as changing stuff like the channel binding, etc).
Even back with the old modem only modems, rogers always has access from their back end, internally, to be able to access it and change things, restart it remotely, etc.

As for the fix.. well its a 'workaround' type fix.

It SHOULD be properly fixed IMHO.. but  still hasnt yet.

With UPNP, it should turn open the port as needed and then remove it.  The problem is, its not removing them.

I have it turned off and have not has any issues Skype or anything else not working, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have been having issues with my Internet going in and out. Mine is the Hitron 4582 and I see the skype and Terado on the port forwarding tab as well. Should I be seeing this?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Do these port forward rules only show up on Rogers gateways or do they also show up on third party routers - as in a config where you have the CGN3 in bridge mode and have another router doing the actual NAT, firewall, etc.