Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

Can you log into your modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page or tab, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  I've seen other high usage reports that have had terrible signal levels and signal to noise ratios and I'd like to see if this is yet another case.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

I also had Teredo port forwarding rule added recently which coincided with the firmware update, I got 4.2.8.12 version recently and probably it has something to do with firmware, but for sure it looks weird...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats for the CGN3ACR / CGNM ?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yes, that's for CGNM, I got a firmware update On March 25, so Teredo port forwarding rule was added within the last several days. I removed it now, so curious if it will be added back.

P.S. And the new firmware also changed my IP from 99.XX.XX.XX to 7.XX.XX.XX

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you leave UPnP enabled, it likely may be put back in.

I Have yet to see anything since I disabled it on mine (where i was getting them with it on)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sbayley wrote:

Thanks for the info in your post - I've also had disturbing usage numbers from Rogers reports .. often 5 days or more a month with a range of 6GBs to 15GBs. March 17th we had a single day hit of over 41 GBs .. our Plan limit was 80GBs the day before we had only used 75% of our allowed bandwidth & the day after we were at 125%.  I also called Rogers to see what they could do - and apparently nothing, I did get a template e-mail saying what I could do on average with Band width - none of their examples went anywhere near the 41GB usage level I experienced & they didn't have any idea what to do except upgrade.

So we did upgrade to a new plan Ignite 60 with a 200GB limit. I'm still searching for a cause - hoping that something was wrong in the old modem which Rogers replaced with a Hetron.

Thank you for the heads up on port forwarding - I will check on that regularly.I just took a look and have no rules set up, but the Port Forwarding was enabled. I assume that's a default set-up. So I disabled it & will add this to a checklist of what to verify on a reular (maybe weekly) basis to avoid these overages. If I'm really lucky the new Router will staop whatever the driver was for the 41GBs - but I don't really expect that to be the case.

It's pretty clear that I either accept being eventually pushed to the expense of unlimited bandwidth or spend a lot of personal time & effort finding tools that actually provide data that can be analyzed, and doing my own tracking.

The port forwarding stuff, should have nothing in general to do with your usage overage.

One thing that has come up is the possibility of MAC address cloning.. changing over to the new modem, will be a new MAC and would hopefully help with that.

Generally though usage i find pretty darn close to accurate.. only times i have seen number up, is when i KNOW i was doing something... downloading, torrenting, lots of streaming, etc.

One thing to do, is make sure EVERY device is ok.
Power cycle everything with an internet connection. 
Make sure none of them is trying to SYNC anything (something like a cloud snyc that is stuck, etc), etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Interestingly, after I removed the Teredo port forward, it added itself again... to another IP on the network... this is scary... 

Could we hear officially from Rogers about this?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As i had reported earlier in the thread.

Those entries are being added (and not removed properly) by them trying to fix the UPNP issues on the CGN3.
They should normally be invisible in the background and not seen.

Teredo tunneling, the forwarding its doing.. is part of something that is done usually as part of an IPv6 to IPv4 setup. 
Likely as specfic devices on the home network there, which MIGHT have IPv6 enabled on them.. may be trying to set up their tunnel connection.
These are not malicious.

As i had stated earlier, unless you specifically need it, best bet overall is to turn off the UPNP on the gateway.

I've Been Here Awhile

I tried it aswell clearing port forwarding of 1 u/k entry and now the modem will not connect? The is a new modem as tech was here today to exchange it.  Unfortunately he didn't allow me to do a speed test before he left.  I have a package with 250Mbps and I was getting 50Mbps wired up?

I've Been Here Awhile

I think the  Teredo port forward entry is from Rogers as I have no internet now.