Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

RE:  The interesting question is going to be, what if the entries return, with the UPNP function disabled.  That leads to two thoughts:

1. the UPNP function is still active despite the disabled function indication within the user interface.  Has there been a bug introduced in the last firmware update?

I did notice the UPNP enabled, but I am unsure how it is used. If this feature is enabled, does that allow applications to create port forwarding rules on the router?  I could definetly see why this would be beneficial. It would reduce administration duties and tech support calls.  But I am unsure if this is what is going on here.  I really, really, hope this is what is happening though. Will have to do some reading on it and do some experimenting. 

As a side note, I did ask the Rogers Tech Expert this exact question.  Can an application on it's own create port forwarding rules as needed?   The answer was to exchange the Hitron CGN3, which I have now done.  But that is a pretty tough tech question to answer. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 - Port forward rules mysteriously added (twice!) and Bandwitdh appears being used

No offence to anyone that works there, etc... but MOST of the techxperts, tech support, etc..  Some of them only have a rudementary IT knoledge.
Quite a number of board members here, myself included, have alot more IT knoledge. (either from just personal, to working in the field like myself)

Often with support.. the DEFAULT if they cant figure it out, is to swap the unit.
Which isnt always a bad idea.. there are many cases where i recomend it as well.

But i am thinking NOT the case here.

As for how UPnP works..

NAT traversal[edit]

One solution for NAT traversal, called the Internet Gateway Device Protocol (IGD Protocol), is implemented via UPnP. Many routers and firewalls expose themselves as Internet Gateway Devices, allowing any local UPnP control point to perform a variety of actions, including retrieving the external IP address of the device, enumerate existing port mappings, and add or remove port mappings. By adding a port mapping, a UPnP controller behind the IGD can enable traversal of the IGD from an external address to an internal client.

Thats section from the wikipedia entry on UPnP.

Which pretty much says.. exactly what is happening here.

I'm Here A Lot

l read up on UPnP from www.upnp.org and learned something new and it's a relief.  With UPnP enabled on Hitron CGN3, applications or devices, can automatically create their own port forwarding rule in the Hitron CGN3. 

My Quick Test:

1.  On the Hitron CGN3, ensured there were no port forwarding rules.

2.  Connected my XBOX 360 (a UPnP device) to the internet and logged into my xbox live account

3.  Checked the CGN3 and there was a port forwarding rule added for the xbox. 

4. Turned the Xbox off, and the rule still remains.  (DHCP lease time is 1 week)

So what I've been observing is normal behaviour.  Likely no remote logins happening or anyting malicious. 

Thanks for all the comments.  It was a nice ah ha! moment.  It also forced me to understand why I have never had to mess with port forwarding for so many years now. 

Cheers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have UPNP enabled in the CGN3?  The interesesting thing is that the xbox doesn't clean up after itself and delete the UPNP established port forwarding rules when it is disconnecting.

I've Been Here Awhile

Would the fact that these ports are being automatically created explain the extra bandwidth that you are  consuming?... Just wondering.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Shouldnt, generally no.

Doing the port forwarding, makes things usuall more PROFICIENT in what they are doing... download a torrent faster, communicate with the game server quicker, etc.

You wouldnt use MORE data.. doing the same thing would use the SAME amount.. you might just be able to do that same thing QUICKER.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MidLevel wrote:

l read up on UPnP from www.upnp.org and learned something new and it's a relief.  With UPnP enabled on Hitron CGN3, applications or devices, can automatically create their own port forwarding rule in the Hitron CGN3. 

My Quick Test:

1.  On the Hitron CGN3, ensured there were no port forwarding rules.

2.  Connected my XBOX 360 (a UPnP device) to the internet and logged into my xbox live account

3.  Checked the CGN3 and there was a port forwarding rule added for the xbox. 

4. Turned the Xbox off, and the rule still remains.  (DHCP lease time is 1 week)

So what I've been observing is normal behaviour.  Likely no remote logins happening or anyting malicious. 

Thanks for all the comments.  It was a nice ah ha! moment.  It also forced me to understand why I have never had to mess with port forwarding for so many years now. 

Cheers!

I can confirm as well, that with UPnP OFF, the additions are NOT added.

SOOOOO

It appears that there HAS been a change, that UPnP has been 'PROPERLY' enabled on the devices.
(where it had the enable on it before, it never WAS enabled)

This is likely to help with people having issues with devices such as some VIOP adapters, game systems, etc.

I do agree with Datalinks statement though.. normally would think they would be removed after the machine was done.. may be a bug still somewhat in the UPnP part on the CGN3.

So people having issues with some devices, have the option to leave it ON.

Leaving it ON, at this point in time.. if you have enough devices, COULD possibly fill up the port forwarding table??

Anyone not wanting it happening, should turn UPnP OFF.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Has there been another firmware update beyond 4.2.4.5?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not on mine at least.

I would guess, it was just a different setting on the main config type profile on it.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thanks for the info in your post - I've also had disturbing usage numbers from Rogers reports .. often 5 days or more a month with a range of 6GBs to 15GBs. March 17th we had a single day hit of over 41 GBs .. our Plan limit was 80GBs the day before we had only used 75% of our allowed bandwidth & the day after we were at 125%.  I also called Rogers to see what they could do - and apparently nothing, I did get a template e-mail saying what I could do on average with Band width - none of their examples went anywhere near the 41GB usage level I experienced & they didn't have any idea what to do except upgrade.

So we did upgrade to a new plan Ignite 60 with a 200GB limit. I'm still searching for a cause - hoping that something was wrong in the old modem which Rogers replaced with a Hetron.

Thank you for the heads up on port forwarding - I will check on that regularly.I just took a look and have no rules set up, but the Port Forwarding was enabled. I assume that's a default set-up. So I disabled it & will add this to a checklist of what to verify on a reular (maybe weekly) basis to avoid these overages. If I'm really lucky the new Router will staop whatever the driver was for the 41GBs - but I don't really expect that to be the case.

It's pretty clear that I either accept being eventually pushed to the expense of unlimited bandwidth or spend a lot of personal time & effort finding tools that actually provide data that can be analyzed, and doing my own tracking.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 in conversation