Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

The only way I got ARD to work on the CGN3 router was putting my computer in dmz. But that resulted in automated threats from Rogers that they will disconnect my paid service. Live manager basically regurgitated some tech mombojumbo she could not understand as she couldn't answer follow up questions. Tech guy googled ports to b forwarded, even though I already stated that port forwarding didn't work.

They told me to read their lengthy terms of service from their website but couldn't quote the section addressing it or give me exact URL.

A friend suggested teamviewer. I'm looking for a new provider.

Good luck.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kevani Teamviewer has been hacked and the company has no idea of how that has happened.  Users have been warned to remove Teamviewer from their pc's and laptops as this is still an ongoing threat to the users online security (ie: bank accounts and other sites requiring secure access).  

I'm assuming that you're talking about an XBox.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here.  Just to note, if you're going to set up ports for port forwarding you should disable UPNP which is in the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION page, then set up a static IP address for the XBox first using the DHCP Reservation function located in the BASIS .... LAN setup page, and then reboot the modem.  Then go back in and set up the ports, pointing to the static IP address using the BASIC .... PORT FORWARDING page.

Now, if you are not aware, Rogers has enabled Native IPV6 across the network, which should make gaming with an XBox much easier if you have an XBox one.  If so, to enable IPV6 on a CGN3 running in Gateway mode you will have to run a factory reset.  IPV6 should work in Bridge mode without a reset.  When the Gateway mode reset is complete and you log back into the modem, you should see two IP addresses in the upper right hand corner of the STATUS .... SYSTEM INFORMATION page that comes up after logging into the modem.  There should be an IPV4 and IPV6 address showing.  

Assuming that is working as it should, reboot the XBox.  When the reboot is done, you should be able to check for an IPV6 address used by the XBox one.  If this is working out to this point, try running a game to see how IPV6 will work.  You may see a moderate NAT shown, but, if the XBox is using IPV6 that shouldn't matter although its supposed to be one of the factors that the XBox takes into account when determining which address scheme to use, IPV4, Native IPV6 or Teredo Tunnelling.  The best performance path is supposed to be selected.

Edit:  Note, there is no NAT in IPV6, so at this point it might be a matter of what the modem Firewall is set at in order for IPV6 to work as it should.  Any NAT indication in the XBox should refer to the traditional IPV4. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Haven't installed my game console yet at new house.

I'm specifically talking about "Apple Remote Desktop" product by Apple which allows remote management similar to VNC.

But great info. Thanks
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, the Factory Reset is accompanied with the re-entering of all of the modem parameters Smiley Sad

I've Been Here Awhile

Not sure, how the info on factory rest relates to my Apple Remote Desktop issue, but with respect to the earlier TeamViewer security concerns expressed, apparently they fixed it.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/company/press/teamviewer-launches-trusted-devices-and-data-integrity/
I've Been Here Awhile

If i have anything in here i should not be showing i would really appreciate if you would tell me so i can remove it.

Hello i know there has been a lot of posts about this but im having a hard time following some of it. I just got a new modem, the CGN3. As this form is about i am having problems port forwarding. I am trying to get a teamspeak server working. I had a server running and working on my old internet and on this new modem the port forwarding is not any different. Except that the ports don't seem to open and work. I am accessing all this through ethernet. 

My firewall is on the minimum security and i don't belive it is blocking anything, there is a chance it could be. I also do not know what you guys mean by LOOP BACK or how that works.

Okay i also have some extra questions about the modem. I saw someone say that this modem takes about 3-4 days after being used to install the newest firmware. If you know whether that is true and whether it will fix the port forwarding problem as i have seen people just say after they wait a few days the port forwarding starts work and it just fixes its self.

I am also wondering about the Private LAN Setting section and how it works. I have seen people say to setup DHCP Reservation but i am not sure what that does. I also want to know what the lease time does.

Thank you for your help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you double check which version of the firmware you have on the unit..  that may help with if you will be getting a newer version or not.

As for your setup.. you really shouldnt have port forwarding AND DMZ both set up. 
The DMZ, usually puts that IP address outside the firewall.. and will respond, if ports open, to any request.
Having the port forwarding there too, may confuse it.

Though all in all.. best practice, is to have port forwarding.. as its a BIG security risk having your machine in the DMZ.. any backdoors, etc that may be in any software, windows, etc are wide open to people accessing.

Have you had people outside of your house try and connect to it, and are they able to?
(again, you may have to try just DMZ or just forwarding).

As for you connecting.. this is where the LOOPBACK comes into play.

Since your already INSIDE that IP address, for internet purposes.. going out to the same thing.. it sort of gets confused.  (higher end ones sometimes do support this, as they have special routing which allow it)
If you want to connect to your own server, you will want to do it via its INTERNAL IP address.

I've Been Here Awhile

I got it working last night but thanks for the reply. I think its kinda dumb that you have to connect using localhost/internal ip.

I Plan to Stick Around

Invalid Port Port Forwarding Hitron CGN3ACSMR

I am not having any lock setting up port forwarding with my Rogers CGN3A (software version 4.5.8.27). Any number I put in the port fields comes up "Invalid Port Number". As soon as I start typing a number it comes up as such. (ie if I want to type 5514, I get the error as soon as I enter 5).  I get this error on all four port fields, public and private.

What am I doing wrong?

Hello, @ADayInCourt

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Once you define the port range the error should go away, I mean you need to enter the port number in the first box and as soon as you enter the port number in the next box the error should disappear. Even after you have entered the port number in both the boxes if the error is not disappearing, I suggest to reboot the modem and try again. 

Please update us with the outcome.

Cheers,

The CommunityHelps Team

^ms

Topic Stats