Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Hi,

I am just a friendly gamer trying to get the best possible connection for my PS4.

I am currently getting a default recommended Type 2 NAT, or otherwise known as Moderate NAT.

I am trying to open ports to play with an Open NAT, or Type 1 NAT...

I know all the ports I need to open, my frustrating problem is that I am using a CGN3 Rogers router/modem whatever it is...

And it won't let me open anymore ports because the rule maximum limit has been reached! Why oh why! 

Please tell me why the heck I cannot add anymore ports... there's only 9 rules/ports open so far... why is it I can't add more it's so frustrating... I don't wanna have to buy another modem to bridge and blah blah blah... 

Can I not add more? Is there no way to get around this dumb limit? 

It's a fairly simple question, any help would be soo much apreciated, thanks alot!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, no way around it Smiley Sad  for whatever reason.. its a hard coded limit in the firmware for it Smiley Sad

To really gain more functionality, more forwarding, etc.. you would likely need to bridge.
ALSO, with a bridged router, you may not get the moderate NAT with it either.. and not have to use the forwarding.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey new to port forwading. How do i know what range to use public or private?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They are usually the same ports, but not always.  What you are normally trying to do is forward from a Public port on the WAN side to the Private port on the LAN side.  It usually helps if you set up a static LAN IP address for the pc / laptop / gaming console first.  Then set up the port forward rule to forward from the Public WAN port to the Private (Static Address) LAN port.   Here's a reference site that might come in handy.  It has port forward settings for a number of games:

http://portforward.com/

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/HitronTechnologies/default.htm

I've Been Here Awhile

so i can choose any number as a port number for both public and private. iv been seeing alot of ppl using 80/80 for private but what about public? i have tried so many for both ... and when i check for open port with external ip it says timed out for all

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Usually you need to use specific ports that match up with what the application or gaming console is expecting.  For whatever application or gaming console you are using, you should be able to find the specific ports that are required.  Those are the ports that are entered into the port forwarding rule in the modem.

If you are having problems, you could turn on UPNP for test purposes and restart the modem.  Start the application or console, and while it is running, log into the modem and look at the port forwarding rules that are set.  You should then be able to use those rules to set up the same ports after you have shut down the application or game and disabled UPNP.  UPNP is useful in that it will set the rules for you, but a rogue application can do the same and you wouldn't know it, which is why I recommend leaving it disabled.

I've Been Here Awhile

okey thnx will try that...

I've Been Around

Hey 

I have HItron CGN3 and I want to add couple of ports but what i noticed was there are already ports added. I didnt add any ports. How can i find out what these ports are and can I delete them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is most likely due to UPNP being enabled.  Check the UPNP setting and disable it, delete the existing port forward rules, save the settings and reboot the modem.  That should take care of any existing port forward rules and prevent any other device such as an XBox or PS3/PS4 from setting those ports via UPNP.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just to confirm, I'm having the same issue, just can't get it to work, my NVR and IP cams worked perfectly a couple months back when I was with DSL internet provider.