Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Hitron CGN3 only allows 9 port forwarding rules to be created!

Seriously? Why would such a limitation exist? Please don't ever create such a limitation in the future. Your hardware is already overpriced, just spring for the extra memory and do it properly. And if this is not a hardware limitation, rather just limited by the software, then whyyyy?????

A simple video game server can require 4 or 5 rules to be created. Whoops, there goes half of them.

This is stupid.

/Nerd rage

Is this something that can be addressed in a future update or no?

I've Been Around

Seriously this modem is a mystery with port forwarding. It seems to never work. Has anyone got this working? Trying to use npvr and camera and I just can't seem to get it to work. Solution on buying a router just doesnt cut it for me. Any suggestions????

I Plan to Stick Around

I had extreme difficulty even accessing the modem's gui webpage. Half the time the modem would just stop responding from a long time, and then suddenly kick in.

The problem of port forwards being limitted is amplified even further since whatever UPNP ports that have been auto created also show up there. So even before I setup 1 rule my modem already had 5 in there from UPNP.

The features and web interface of this modem are less useful than that even the cheapest old router.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The UPnP additions, are fairly recent.. it never did those before, maybe only in the last month or so.

UPnP actually never really WORKED before then (even when it said it was on)

If you do not NEED the UPnP rules in there.. you can turn OFF UPnP, and those additions will not be added.
(i have tested this myself)

The GUI, yes really should be better designed.  Alot of it stems around that the CLIENTS table, is on a main page that loads.
You can not move from that page, etc.. until the client table loads. Smiley Sad
SO when you go to the BASIC tab.. you must LEAVE it, for however long (usually 5 mins in my case), until the table loads, then you can move onto the other sub tabs.

(this is some VERY bad design)

The port forwarding though.. i 100% have got it to work. 
Not with a camera..  but with other things, and it works just fine.

I have port 80 open for my test webserver, port 21 open for when i have my FTP open for file transfers, and a higher 3200 range port open for my meida server for external access (plex).  Each of them works perfectly fine.. can access my webpage, i am streaming music from my media server as we speak to my work here.

BIGEST key i have found... is to make sure the END point devices, are all on STATIC addresses, not dynamic.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah the clients have to be static because the dhcp reservations do not work at all.

If I bought this router at a store I would have returned it immediately because it has to be the worst router I've seen ever.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have never trusted reservations.. too many times have had them take MUCH longer to get the right address, etc.
Usually just set the DHCP to start above a certian value, then put all my static below it.

I do agree, that in general, the inteface is pretty bad.. many cheap routers have better... the wireless is on par, with the cheaper routers... but thats not saying much, their wireless is pretty bad too.

Probably the reason most people beyond basic users, usually bridge it with a quality router.

I Plan to Stick Around

Btw I forgot to mention that it took me forever to realize that I had to wait for the clients table. For the first half hour of setting up this modem I was pulling my hair trying different things to access port forwarding. I've never seen a web gui like that, and I think that this modem should come packed with a card explaining this...

But I will say that once you do turn off all features of the router by putting it in bridged mode it function absolutely great as just a modem.

Now I must save for a replacement to my Asus n66u.

Now that I mention the Asus, dhcp reservations work perfectly fine on it.

I'm Here A Lot

What an awful router.  Everytime I access 192.168.0.1 I often get connection timeouts after a minute whenever I try to access port forwarding or DMZ.  Trying to open up ports fo rmy PS4.  My CGN3 is in gateway mode with an apple airport extreme attached to it.  It's very hit or miss if the admin page for the CGN3 works.  Why do I get connection timeout sometimes when I click certain options in the admin page?

Any help would be appreciated as my PS4 is connected through a powerline adapter into the CGN3 and was working great in the beginning but now not so much.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

Yes, the user interface to the CGN3 modem is slow, but its strange that you get connection timeouts.   Just to check, why do you have the modem in Gateway mode with the Apple Extreme Router running as well?  Have you configured the Apple Extreme to operate as an Access Point only so that there is no chance of a IP address conflict?  Typically, in that configuration, you should turn off the DHCP server in the Apple Extreme and assign an IP address to it that is outside of the modem IP address range so that you can log into either the modem or the Apple Extreme.  Is the Apple Extreme basically co-located with the modem?  If so, unles you need the ethernet ports on the modem, it would make more sense to run the modem in Bridge mode, use the Apple Extreme as your main router and connect your network, wired and wireles into the Apple Extreme.  That would make port forwarding much easier as you would do that thru the Apple Extreme instead.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i agree thats its odd, if you are actually getting TIMEOUT errors that actually come up.

There are 1-2 screens on the unit.. where when you go in, appear to STOP RESPONDING.

In a way it is.. kind of.  what it is doing, is there is the table of all the connected devices trying to load.

It will not respond, till this is loaded.
If you LEAVE IT.. can be up to 5 mins.. it will load the devices on the page.
Then you can click to the other tabs, etc just fine.