Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

So, recently my Skype calls started dropping. I mean the outbound phone calls made via Skype. After exhaustive searching, I found that setting the firewall to Maximum may fix it. It was previously set to Typical, which allowed everything and everyone to be happy.

What do you know, Maximum fixed it. No more dropped calls. But as you can imagine, it broke other apps. 

Amazon WorkSpaces (requires TCP/UDP 4172, and yes I triggered/forwarded to no avail)

Unable to connect to NEST thermostat from my phone or home.nest.com

I'm sure other problems will come up over the weekend, but still.. I can't go back to Typical firewall because I need the Skype calls. 

What do I do?

HW Version: 1A

SW Version: 4.2.4.11

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yourname are you a recent arrival to Rogers?  I wondering as you indicated that the problems with skype are recent.  that makes me think that you're new to Rogers, or, that your modem has recently been updated to 4.2.4.11.  There isn't any entry in the update log for that version so I don't know what's been included in that version or when it was released.  I'd have to do some hunting.  In any event it looks like you're running a basic CGN3ROG.  To keep this short, thats an Intel Puma 6 modem, which has a history of poor performance due to its design and firmware.  Fwiw, the rest of the CGN3xxxx modems are also Puma 6 modems.  The issues with the Puma 6 modems really came to the forefront last year with Rogers leading the charge to start the long haul process to fix the modem, if that is indeed possible.  That is entirely within Intel's ballpark.   This has been on the go since June 2016 and maybe we're finally at the point where firmware updates are being released to deal with the latency thru the modem which affects gaming, VOIP and any other latency intolerant application.  The Skype protocol is known only to Skype, but, it doesn't matter if its build on UDP or TCP, each are effected by the modem's latency problems.  In the case of UDP, there is also packet loss that occurs.  

So, what to do in the near term.  My suggestion is to trade the modem in for a CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552 as those modems are receiving the updates faster than the CGN3ROG.  I don't know if that will in fact solve the issue with Skype or with any gaming or VOIP activities that you are running.  Since I'm running a CODA-4582 in bridge modem with an Asus RT-AC86U, I won't have any opportunity to test any of the Puma 6 modems to see whats been done for ICMP / TCP/IP / UDP.  If you run an unlimited account, you could also trade up to a CODA-4582 modem which is a Puma 7 modem.  That modem runs DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side and doesn't suffer from the latency issues that are seen in the Puma 6 modems.  There are a couple of gotcha's however.  Some users report slower than expected data rates.  I still don't have any idea of the cause of this problem, however, this seems to be a sporadic problem that affects some users.  There are also complaints of poor wifi, however, with a little coaching on the wifi settings and wifi environment, I suspect that this can be dealt with in a good number of cases.  If you were to trade up to the 4582 and ended up with the slow data rate issue, I'd return to a CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552 modem and sign up for the trial firmware builds, in order to see the latency updates loaded earlier than the majority of users accross the network will see. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

port forwarding hitron CGN3ACR  will not accept full application name

Problem with port forwarding.

Router will not accept full application name . It worked initially now it will not accept more

than 15 characters.

I have tried factory reset ,  did not work 

It will upload full name  from backup , however I cannot edit the backup to add another it is in Chinese.

If I try to edit an existing entry and remove some characters > 15 it will not allow me to add them back.

Seem to be running out of options .

Any help  or advice would be appreciated 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RickB2 I don't think there is any necessity to include the full application name for the port forwarding rules.  That might be something that you want to do, but I don't believe its necessary.  I suspect that the firmware only cares about the protocol, the external and internal port numbers, and internal and external IP addresses.  Beyond that, anything else is probably superfluous to the port forwarding function. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This was a very old string. 

But you had gotten plex to work. 

I can not seem to. 

can you share ur settings with me?  I will try and make my plex server a static address IP. 

thx 

@Gdkitty wrote:

The UPnP additions, are fairly recent.. it never did those before, maybe only in the last month or so.

UPnP actually never really WORKED before then (even when it said it was on)

If you do not NEED the UPnP rules in there.. you can turn OFF UPnP, and those additions will not be added.
(i have tested this myself)

The GUI, yes really should be better designed.  Alot of it stems around that the CLIENTS table, is on a main page that loads.
You can not move from that page, etc.. until the client table loads. 😞
SO when you go to the BASIC tab.. you must LEAVE it, for however long (usually 5 mins in my case), until the table loads, then you can move onto the other sub tabs.

(this is some VERY bad design)

The port forwarding though.. i 100% have got it to work. 
Not with a camera..  but with other things, and it works just fine.

I have port 80 open for my test webserver, port 21 open for when i have my FTP open for file transfers, and a higher 3200 range port open for my meida server for external access (plex).  Each of them works perfectly fine.. can access my webpage, i am streaming music from my media server as we speak to my work here.

BIGEST key i have found... is to make sure the END point devices, are all on STATIC addresses, not dynamic.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The only port I can port forward is port 80. I am trying to port forward port 5859 with no luck.

I am using "yougetsignal" to test the port

System Information

This menu displays general information of the device

Hardware Version1A
Software Version4.5.8.37T5
Gateway Serial Number251147026834

Any thoughts?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have Naim Audio gear connected to the internet though the Hitron router. I have:

A music server that uses the internet to find music and information.

A streamer that streams internet radio, podcasts, etc.

I connect to these devices through the wireless network using an iPad app.

Previously, I had a Limksys router and everything worked well.  I did not have to configure the Linksys at all for the UPNP to work out-of-the-box.

Now UPNP appears restricted as I have to configure my application in a “UPNP Compatibility Mode”  with less features.

Also, I cannot get the music server to operate in full functionality with the app.

Please advise if there’s a way to configure the Hitron so that I can get the level of functionality I had in the Linksys.

Thanks,

M

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mfin wrote:

I have Naim Audio gear connected to the internet though the Hitron router. I have:

A music server that uses the internet to find music and information.

A streamer that streams internet radio, podcasts, etc.

I connect to these devices through the wireless network using an iPad app.

Previously, I had a Limksys router and everything worked well.  I did not have to configure the Linksys at all for the UPNP to work out-of-the-box.

Now UPNP appears restricted as I have to configure my application in a “UPNP Compatibility Mode”  with less features.

Also, I cannot get the music server to operate in full functionality with the app.

Please advise if there’s a way to configure the Hitron so that I can get the level of functionality I had in the Linksys.

Thanks,

M

I believe the CGN3 has port UPNP on by default, but it may not be working/receiving/activating the right ports from the Niam system.

I would think that setting the music server to a static address.
And if you are able to find the specific ports needed for the Naim system, that forwarding them manually might work.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Have setup a Wyze Cam on my Hitron Cgn3acsmr Rogers router network ..... Need To Open Ports

Wyze Support indicates for the camera to function proper udp port 434 needs to open ..... is this port forwarding and if so can I reserve a static IP address for the camera on this router ?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Callie yes, you can assign a static address to the camera.  That is probably the best route to take as it will ensure that the camera retains the same IP address in the event of a modem reboot.  After assigning the static address, save the data and reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  After the reboot, login to the modem again and set up the port forwarding for that IP address.