Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Hi everyone,

I got a brand new Hitron CGN3 modem from Rogers yesterday and I have been trying to set up port forwarding. First off, please tell me if anyone has every done it successfully. I have a feeling that port forwarding might not be working at all on this model.

I have tried every possible combination of settings with no luck. Here is my current setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b72edjiy1aet17q/screenshot.png

Local address is correct and DHCP-reserved, the device is on, an HTTP server is running on private ports 8080 (mapped to public port 80) and 8181 (mapped to public 443), so everything is fine locally. However, when I scan ports with Mac's Network Utility or enter the WAN IP into the browser, it gets no response: requests are not rejected right away, but responses are not coming back.

Turning off the modem's firewall did not help. I have no other active firewalls. I have tried both wireless and ethernet connection. I have no idea what could be the problem. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Alex

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 Port Forwarding

Port forwarding does work. I am doing an http forward on port 80, FTP on 21, and a media stream http on a higher number (forget at the moment).

I think I see your issue though.
Your trying to run the scan/access it, from your Mac that is INSIDE your local network?
The router part does not support loopback (even many 3rd party don't). Pretty much because your connection is already inside your wan ip, it fails.
You would have to try from an external source.

I've Been Here Awhile

Awesome! You made my day Smiley Happy I spent so much time trying to figure out what was wrong... You were right, I accessed it from an external device and everything was fine! Thanks a lot.
I'm Here A Lot

However, port forwarding does not work to port 22 (SSH).  It is NOT blocked... you simply can NOT configure it... once Rogers slaps on their firmware.

Rogers apparently believes that by not allowing you to port forward this port that it is a good thing when all it does is make you jump through hoops to make it work (e.g. put your system in DMZ or make the router a dumb modem - brdige mode).

I hope that Rogers reconsiders this especially considering the cheaper lower-end CGN-2 allowed this feature.

I Like it Here

Well, how the heck am I supposed to test my website and internet server file sharing changes when I am sitting inside my house! The CGN2 model worked fine and supported Loopback!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can always access the site via its INTERNAL address?

Thats how i check my web server.

I've Been Here Awhile

I cannot do port forwarding on port 25565 for MineCraft server any more on Hitron CGN3 Modem.

Here is a port forwarding rule what I have:

Port Forwarding Options
All Port Forwarding Rules     
Port Forwarding rules
Application Name     Public     Private     Protocol     Local IP Address     Status     Manage     Action

MineCraft     25565~25565     25565~25565     TCP/UDP     192.168.0.201

The port is open on my PC and is in Listening State. I verified it with "netstat -a".

It used to work a month ago on my rented CGN3 modem.

During Boxing week I bought CGN3 3 modem and restored the previously saved configuration.

Today I tried to riun MineCraft server and there is a connectivity issue.

When I try to open port check tool from internet, it indicates that the port 25565 is closed.

Is there something else, that I need to check on Hitron CGN3 Modem?

Does Rogers block port 25565?

Thanks a lot!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you log into the modem and check the firmware version that is loaded.  There has been a firmware update recently from V4.2.4.3 to V4.2.4.5.   If you now have V4.2.4.5 loaded, its possible that you can't just restore the previous configuration, especially if there has been a firmware update.  It might work, but I wouldn't guarantee that it would.  Try running a factory restore, and then configure everything manually.  Once done, save that configuratation.  Give that  a go and see if it works.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should be all you have to do.

Are you trying to connect to it yourself from the external address from inside?

Or is no one else outside able to connect to it?

I've Been Here Awhile

The h/w and s/w versions of my previous and the existing modems are the same:

HW Version1A
SW Version4.2.4.5

I have captured screenshots with the configuration of the previous modem.

My son's friends tried to connect from outside to the server and had connectivities issues.

I  tried few external tool to check connectivity to port 25565:

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

They indicate connectivity problem to port 25565.

We can connect to the server with LAN 192.168 address.

Do you think I still need to do factory reset and re-configure everything manually?

Do you know, if Rogers block or used to block any TCP/UDP ports including port 25565?

Thanks again