Hitron CGN3 - DNS Relay Issue?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hitron CGN3 - DNS Relay Issue?

This is an odd one, and maybe only affects a handful of people, but was curious...

We upgraded our service, and got the CGN3.   Instead of duplicating things with my existing router, I decided to retire it, and use the CGN3 for both functions.

Aside from the Hitron web interface being a bit slow (is that normal?) I got everything working except for Internet access within a Hyper-V virtual machinne.    The host box (Win 8.1) has full Internet access, but the client VM on that box couldn't resolve any addresses.

Virtual switch was setup correctly in Hyper-V, static IP was set in the correct range, and DNS was set to the CGN3 (192.168.2.1 in my case).    I could ping the Hitron box on the LAN (again 192.168.2.1).

I then had a look at the host box again.   Unlike my previous router assigning it a DNS of 192.168.2.1, the Hitron assigned both actual DNS servers (primary and alternate).    I then manually edited the network card settings in the VM, and specified the same 2 servers - and now it connects.

Is there a known issue with DNS relay on the Hitron CGN3?    Wondering if I should just put it back to bridge mode.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CGN3 - DNS Relay Issue?

There SHOULDNT be.

I would have to check when i get home.. (at work right now).

But the devices that i did have with a dynamic IP assigned by the CGN3's DHCP server

(most are static), last i checked, were assigned a DNS relay address of 192.168.0.1 (in my case) for the DNS server, and used that as a relay to the two stored in the CGN3.
(the static ones, use the GOOGLE DNS, and not the rogers ones)

I Plan to Stick Around

Weird update.

If I set the VM to use DHCP, I get Internet access. Although it assigns me the same DNS as always: 192.168.2.1.

If I set the VM back to static (2.7), and manually set DNS to 2.1, the Internet connectivity drops.   (Note that I can ping the DNS from the VM during this time.)

In between, I have applied /flushdns and /registerdns without change.

I'm open to ideas.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmmm..
MUST be, that since the DHCP server is not ASSIGNING that address (since its set static), that its now allowing the relay for it?

Only thing i could THINK to try.. would be to set a DHCP reservation on the CGN3 for the mac address of that particular one.. so it is sort of pre-assigning it?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's a possibility that the CGN3 uses DNSMasq instead of having the DHCP server assign you the DNS. The router instead would be your DNS server and fetch the results from the DNS servers you have programmed for the LAN.

Technically this would be more efficient instead of having each computer be programmed with the DNS server address as you would get more cache hits and faster access, but it does put more load on the CGN3 itself.

When I say a cache hit for speedy response, think of it this way. You get on a computer and decide to get on Facebook. The CGN3 will lookup the response to find Facebook and give it to you. It will also cache the result for 5 minutes or so. Then, someone in your house picks up a tablet and also goes to Facebook. Since the CGN3 already have the address cached in it's table, it doesn't need to goto the internet to find out what the address is. Instead the tablet gets a cached result, and likewise seems to have faster access to Facebook. Although the noticable time would be miniscule. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Just decided to check my DHCP settings on my laptop that's connected to a Linksys WRT1900ac and I see the DNS server being my router instead of the DNS servers I programmed.

Seems to me that DNSMasq will be more common now-a-days.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thx for all the replies. Gdkitty, your idea re DHCP reservation worked like a charm. Even though the DNS IP remains the same in all cases, using DHCP reservation allows it to work.

Just for fun, I switched back to my Cisco router and reverted the Hitron to bridged mode. As before, my virtual machine used a static IP, but the DNS worked.

Clearly something different between the two, but at least I can continue with the Hitron via DHCP reservation.

Thx again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Glad to hear it worked 🙂

I'm Here A Lot

Hi. This topic fits with what I'm trying to do. I have a Hitron CGN3. Two of my kids Android devices have Google DNS hard coded and I'm trying to force it to use my specified DNS (Opendnd for filtering).

It was simple under Tomato but I am having a heck of time using jus the Hitron.

thanks, Bj

Hello, @keef_ca

Were you able to resolve the issue? I believe the settings of a device will take precedence over the settings of a router. If the DNS is hard coded and it can't be disabled, I'm not sure it can be forced to use the DNS of the router. 

@Gdkitty - any thoughts?

Thanks,

RogersMoin