Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

Hi:

I noticed that there are 2 USB ports on the router so I stuck in a USB drive to see what happens.

I can see the drive in the menu of the router as //192.168.2.1/share/32ED-2F04 and the USB is enabled.

When I try to access the drive it asks for credentials (user id and password).  I tied the default for the

router (cusadmin, etc.), but it wouldn't accept them.

Anyone know how to get at the USB drive?

Thanks in advance.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re:Hitron CGN3 / CGN3ACR USB Ports

Odd

I remember helping people in this thread
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/1/thread-...
And not having anyone mention that they needed any authentication.

I've Been Around

I had the same issue when trying to map a network drive. Called tech support and they couldn't help. Have also gone through the various threads on the subject on this and other forums (included the linked one above), and have had no success. In fact, one of the drives the gateway used to detect now goes undetected completely. Shame that for $12/month as a rental, Rogers "advanced" gateway can't even match the functionality of many budget routers available today. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally I have never got any USB drive to work, even on 3rd party routers. If so they are finicky.

I prefer a direct network attached Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have just tried my Hitron CGN3 router, it works with both my 64G Lexar fash USB driver and a 2TB hard drive. The hard drive needs a separate power supply. Just follow the steps:

1. insert your USB flash drive into a USB port on the router

2. login the router (192.168.0.1) from your computer by username: cusadmin and your password

3. click "Admin" then "USB Storage"

4. If the USB flash drive is not there, click "Refresh". If the"Shared Status" is "Disnabled", click "Enabled"

5. Now, the router webpage will show your flash drive status "No:1   Disk:file://192.168.0.1\share\**************"

6. copy "file://192.168.0.1\share\**************" and paste it on your IE browser address bar, a new window with the content of your flash drive will appear.

7. in the new window, click "Network"------"192.168.0.1", then right-click "Share"-----Map network drive----OK

If you insert 2 USB drives in the router, both will be mapped to one network drive "Share(\\192.168.0.1)". The 2 drives will be showed as 2 sub-folders under this network drive.

I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone have any luck doing this with a Mac? I'm not getting very far with having a shared drive...

It's asking for login credentials and I've tried every UN/PW set I can think of including the original "cusadmin/password" but nothing works except "guest" with no password, and then I can see the drive but not use any of the files on it.

Hello @GaryGee , thank you for your post. We have members in the community who were able to make it work on Mac. I believe it works on Mac OS X Yosemite. We have discussed this issue during Ask An Expert event as well. Please see message # 7, in the link below;

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/IGNITEAAE/message-id/34#M34

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

I have been trying to use the USB port on my CGN3/CGN3ACR and running into a number of problems.

I first had the CGN2 which had to trade for the CGN3 as the USB ports were disabled on the CGN2. I was able to attach my 3TB Seagate external hardrive (with own power source) to the CGN3 and all seemed to be working. However when I opened files or tried to put files on the drive through the network the whole router would lose connection after a few minutes and I would need to reset everything. And this would happend from any device (i.e. computer, tablet and phone). I figured it was defective and wanted to trade it in for another and this time they gave me the CGN3ACR. 

I would not think there would be any differences for what I am trying to acheive. But this time, I can map the hard drive to my computer but when i go into the folder, nothing shows up. I can't see any files or put any files on the drive. The drive is in NTFS. I tried a USB stick in the second port (FAT32) and all seemed to work as intended. 

Is there a reason why the CGN3ACR cannot see any files even though CGN3 modem did? The manual for the moden indicates it can read both FAT32 and NTFS. Are there any other settings I may have missed? Or do I have another defective modem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My assumption at this point would be that you have found a bug in the CGN3ACR firmware.  Despite what any info might indicate, the CGN3ACR obviously doesn't want to play with an NTFS formatted drive.  I would bet that there is a similar issue with the CGN3, not exactly the same but similar.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CGN3ACR - NAS Functionality Issue?

Hi all, newbie to the forums here. 

First of all I'll start by saying i have a decent technical background and tried all the relevant troubleshooting prior to posting this...etc etc.

I did some mild research and it turns out that i can hook up an external HDD or thumb drive to my modem and that i can use it as an attached storage device, cool. So i decided to grab a new HDD and make an iTunes Server / Library type deal.

I started by logging into the control panel to verify that the functionality was still even available, it was. Under Admin - USB Storage it had two respective addresses for each port 192.168.0.1/xxxxx

So i went to go plug in my hard drive and immediately noticed, no activity LED was turning on, on my drive, so i thought that was a bit weird at first (I tested this drive, formatted it to FAT before plugging it in) I went back to the control panel and attempted to goto one of those addresses and neither worked, via browser or mapping a network drive SMB with Mac OS X El Capitan.

From there i rebooted the device to think it just needed to be rebooted in order to be able to be seen, still no luck... After the reboot those addresses under the USB Storage tab completely disapeared. A bit odd, i rebooted a second time and still gone. After doing it once or twice more i bite the bullet and nuked it, factory reset the modem. A few minutes later i go back, and again the address are no longer showing.

This is where it gets interesting.

After not wanting to wreck my poor brain after a long day at work i decided to phone up the folks at internet tech support, i got conflicting answers from four different people and each one wanted to transfer me off to TechXpert and have me pay a one-time $70 fee. (Fudge, that...) I finally called back tech support after speaking with both reps on each end (tech & xpert nonsense) i got to a supervisor (who i won't mention his name but he was very rude) kept jumping over me and immeidately saying no this function is firmware locked... yada yada. I asked: "You aren't sure and you're giving an guesstimate NO without doing further research?"... "Hold on, I'll double check... let me put you on a brief hold..." *minutes later* "Sir, i do aplogize it does seem like this function does work, but we can't to help you with it, its our policy

*insert flipping desk meme* Infuriated, i hung up...

Thats where I'm at, I'm trying to inquire do i have a hardware problem with the modem itself, or is there a configuration I'm overlooking? Has anyone run into any related problems? I don't believe my drive requires a lot of power to be run, its designed to run off of USB power, i can't even see the thumb drive being mounted either?

Can someone shed some light on this subject before i go through the process of swapping out modems countless times?

*Apologies for the long read

- Thanks