Hitron CGN2 verrrry slow wifi for one laptop only

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Hitron CGN2 verrrry slow wifi for one laptop only

@Datalink - I've had the guest network disabled, but it hasn't fixed the weak wifi signal. However, it has changed the graph that inSSIDer gives me - there isn't anything else competing with me on Channel 1 anymore. I'm now getting a Link Score between 45 and 77.

I've got Rogers Tech Support on live chat as well to see if they have any further suggestions. Right now, he says that I have access to the Rocket Wifi modem with 5G capability in my package.

Should I upgrade to that one?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@artgirl, if you're able to upgrade to it, absolutely.  Just keep in mind that all of the Hitron modems are not stellar wifi performers, however, that will give you access to a 5 Ghz network, which may help, at least until you decide to possibly buy a router, or not.  

Here's a couple of points to consider.  Rogers has recently replaced or is still possibly replacing the Cable Modem Termination Systems (CMTS) which is the network equipment that the modems connect to.  This has uncovered a signal processing issue on the newer CGN3xxx series modems, and perhaps other issues on the CMTS side of the house.  Hopefully at this point all of the modem issues are now known.  Within the next month to two months we should be seeing a new firmware update for the CGN3ACSMR, which is what you were referring to as well as a couple of the other modems.  That firmware update will hopefully settle the issue of high ping times that are now observed.  

So, what does this possibly mean for you?  If you or your hubby does any online gaming, running a CGN2, you might not see any high time ping problems.  I believe off the top of my head that the CGN2 is only an 8 channel down 4 channel up modem, so, if the effects of the signal processing are there, they may not be noticeable.  When you jump up to the CGN3xxx series modems, the modem processes 20 or 24 channels down, and at that point the issue of signal processing comes up.  So, that is something to consider.  This also applies for any latency intolerant application.  

On the plus side, the CGN3xxx series modems will give you access to 5 Ghz wifi, and on the Rocket modem (CGN3ACSMR) you will have access to 802.11ac which can really help.  

So, you will have to consider the positive and negative for an upgrade to the CGN3ACSMR.  That modem also requires a trial update which is available on request.  I can point you to the instructions for doing that.  The update resolves issues with dead LAN ports when the modem is connected to a Casa Systems CMTS, which is the new CMTS, as well as problems connecting to Chromecast devices.  

Are you on an unlimited plan?  I'm a little more than concerned with the discovery of an open network that you weren't aware of.   The last thing I want to see is for you to discover that you're over the monthly download limit if you happen to be on a limited plan.  If that was the case, and its possible to check the totals thru "My Rogers" up above, it would be time to call billing to notify them of an open network that was running on a modem that was delivered to you.  If anyone has taken advantage of that, the download total for the last two to three days or longer should be wiped clean.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink, lots to think about here! I do have a couple of questions because some of the tech specifics went above my paygrade. 😉

We don't do any online gaming. I build websites for my freelance business (but handcode, so I'm really just uploading text files), we watch some Netflix, I video call clients and family overseas. With that usage, will we notice any signal processing issues? Or are these latency intolerant applications in any way?

I think that either way, we'll need to invest in a router/signal booster, just to get wifi at the back of the house, which is where my office is anyways (and where the Bell modem was before).

Based on that, is the Rocket 5GHz worth upgrading to? Or will we end up with a new different set of problems?

We don't have unlimited usage, but we do have 400GB. We've only been with Rogers for about 48 hours now and I knew there was a guest network, because I saw it suddenly appear when I used the USB set up. However, it was password encrypted (not that I knew what the dang password was, it never gave me that info) so I don't think anyone would have been able to use it. I know I couldn't connect to it - I was just brought to a guest user login screen at 192.168.0.1/guest-login (or something like that) and none of the obvious passwords ('password', or my own cusadmin password) worked. Viewing our usage, we've used about 4GB which is about right considering I video called my sister for 2.5 hours today.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@artgirl, the question on signal processing affecting video calls is an interesting one.  I don't recall anyone saying that the problem affected any type of video conferencing.  Gamers are usually the first ones to see this as there is a latency indicator built into many games, so gamers are usually more aware of overall system latency when they're gaming.  Does this have the potential to affect video conferencing?  Possibly but I can't say that it definitely will have any effect.  The signal processing issue is due to the increased number of downstream channels that the new modems process and the processing itself which is done in software.  Hitron is now experimenting with running that channel processing in hardware.  Hopefully in a month or two at the latest, we'll see positive results.   This issue has only come to light very recently with the fielding of the CGNM-3552 gigabit modems and the change over to the Casa CMTS equipment that started around the middle to end of May I believe.

So, the trade-off now, if you move up to the CGN3ACSMR "Rocket Modem" is a possible latency issue versus immediate access to a 5 Ghz network.  You can always go back down to a CGN2 if you find any real problems with video conferencing.

In any event, from what you are describing of your apartment, you will most likely require a router with better wifi performance, no matter what modem you are running.  And, you might find that switching to a set of high gain antenna will give the router the ability to reach most if not all of your apartment.  

There are a few ways you can provide the reach to the back of the apartment.

1. Use a router with external antenna to give you better overall wifi performance. Add high gain antenna if necessary.

2. Use a powerline adapter set to provide internet to the far corners of your apartment. These plug into the electrical socket and use the home electrical cables to carry internet data. You would plug one adapter into the modem or router via ethernet cable, where the modem or router is located, and plug the other adapter into a socket where you wanted to access the internet.

The performance of these adapters depends on the total line length from one adapter to another, the particular path that is used and on the amount of electrical noise present in the electrical system.  They would probably see their best performance with a pair of rooms where those room electrical breakers were located on the same side of the electrical panel.  So, the data path would be from the wall socket, to the electrical panel, up or down the bus bars at the back of the electrical panel,(on the same left or right side of the panel), and then out to the other adapter's electrical socket.  So, if it happens that the room where the modem is located, and your office are connected to the same side of the electrical panel, left or right, then, this might be an workable option.  How well would this work in an old apartment building with potentially old wiring remains to be seen however.

There is a new generation of powerline adapters out on the market now that utilize the new HomePlug AV2 standard.  Basically this means that these adapters use all three lines of the electrical system for the purposes of data transmission, whereas the older adapters use only one set of electrical lines. So, the newer HomePlug AV2 adapters can have much higher data rates.  Most powerline adapters are only ethernet to ethernet, however, there is one out now that has an 802.11ac wifi transmitter at the remote end, in addition to ethernet ports.  This is the only powerline adapter set out on the market with 802.11ac wifi capability.

http://www.tplink.ca/en/products/details/TL-WPA8630-KIT.html

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC1200-Extender-Powerline-TL-WPA8630/dp/B01A90CH4M

If I was going to look for any powerline adapter I would only look at HomePlug AV2 adapters. The AV2 indicates the most recent standard applies to a given powerline adapter set, and, if I was interested in wifi, specifically 802.11ac at the same time, I would look at the TP-Link adapters first.

3. The next choice might be a range extender. I haven't looked at any of these, but bring this up as another alternative.  Essentially its two wifi transmitters in one.  It is used to detect an existing network, such as a 2.4 Ghz network and rebroadcast that on another 2.4 or 5 Ghz channel.  So, it would sit halfway to where you wanted to extend the network, usually plugged into a hallway electrical socket.  I've never looked closely at these, so I don't have any recommendations to make.

4. The last recommedation is to improve the wifi capability for your back office computer.  There are a couple of new products out on the market now, designed to extend wifi range by using a USB port connection, or thru the installation of a wifi card in a desktop.  The first is a Trendnet product that plugs into a USB port so it could be used with a desktop or laptop.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail?prod=100_TEW-809UB

https://www.amazon.ca/TRENDnet-TEW-809UB-AC1900-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B01EOQ61KI

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66K4SU2513&cm_re=TEW-809UB-_-33-156-537-_-Product

The second is a wifi card that would be installed on a desktop:

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-asus-new-pce-ac88-wi-fi-pcie-adapter-will-give-your-desktop...

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048_1052&item_id=5689345

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-802-11AC-Wireless-AC3100-Adapter-PCE-AC88/dp/B01H9QMOMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=elec...

So, looking at these, yup, they're a little ugly to say the least, but, the goal, which isn't stated in the marketing is to use a high gain antenna to squash that vertical power distribution down so that you end up with more power in the horizontal plane and therefore increased range and data rates and provide directional capability as well. Same idea as installing high gain antenna on a router.  If I was looking to to connect a computer that was hidden in a back office somewhere, I'd be looking for one of these to try out.  The question that goes with this is whether or not you would be able to use Rogers Hitron modem up front, and use one of these for the back office.  That would depend on whether or not the Hitron modem would provide sufficient 2.4 and 5 Gh coverage for the rest of the apartment.  If not, then you're looking at a router up front, possibly with high gain antenna, and one of the add-on systems for the back office.  It all depends on what you see in terms of power levels and any interference by using inSSIDer, and also on the wifi data rates that you see at various points around the apartment.

Just as a reminder, the freebie version of inSSIDer doesn't detect or display the 5 Ghz 802.11ac networks that are present, so it doesn't provide a complete picture of the 5 Ghz networks.  The new version will do that, even if its running on a normal 802.11n wifi laptop.  The application reads the transmit headers that are used in the wifi protocol and displays the data for the 802.11ac networks.

The metageek website leaves a little to be desired for organization, so, here's the download link.  Select the personal version if you're interested in purchasing it:

http://www.metageek.com/support/downloads/

Here's the link to buy the personal edition:

http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/personal/

From that page comes the following for the mac:

System Requirements — Mac Version

OPERATING SYSTEM: OS X 10.8-10.11 (Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan)
Note: inSSIDer Office for Mac (beta) only supports Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan
RAM: 2 GB
SCREEN RESOLUTION: 800x600
WIFI RADIO: Airport Card (USB WiFi not supported)

Don't know if the mac info helps or hurts the cause.....

Ok, lots to think about and consider. Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much 🙂

Please let me know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink - thanks so much for all of this information! I've had a crazy busy week so haven't been able to do anymore on this until today (just been plugging in via ethernet).

We went and bought the ASUS AC-1200 router (the 1900 was a little out of our price range) and it's fixed the problem completely! Running on the 5GHz bandwidth, I'm now getting 69-80mbps download speeds on WiFi, even from my office. The only room that doesn't get WiFi is the sunporch, and we may eventually pick up a signal booster just for that room since I sometimes work out there.

But for now, that problem is solved! Thank you so much for all of your help.

- artgirl

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @artgirl, sounds like the router is working out.  Please have a look at the following:

Check for the latest firmware update for the router.  You can do this by running the update from the user interface, or by downloading the latest update from the Asus site.  I believe this is the router that you purchased:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RT-AC1200/

If so, use the support page:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC1200/HelpDesk_Download/

The latest update, ASUS RT-AC1200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.10571, dated 8 Sept 2016 may not show up if you run the update thru the user interface.  You might have a slightly older firmware version currently loaded, and if so, in the case of a very recent update, it may not properly show the latest update "icon" at the top (right) of the user interface when you log in or on the user interface page to update the router.  Asus has since fixed that in the newer firmware versions so that you can see if there is a new update available, at a glance.

You can download the latest version from the site and run the update manually.  When the router has completed the update, I usually reboot the router one last time. 

To adjust a few of the more relevant settings on the router:

The AiProtection - Network Protection provided by Trend Micro.  I have this enabled so that the router will check for recognized malware sites and present a warning page instead of the expected web address that you are trying to use.

Next, navigate to LAN .... Switch control: 

NAT Acceleration:  Set to Enabled    Note if this is kicked off by some function that requires the CPU to process the data, as in Traffic Monitoring, and others, the data rate throughput will drop when you are running speeds higher than 100 Mb/s.  For high throughput, this NAT Acceleration (Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding) must be enabled.  This is a whole other topic for discussion.

Next, navigate to Wireless ... Professional;

Select 2.4 Ghz for Band:

Set the following to Enabled:

Enable TX Bursting
Enable WMM APSD
Reducing USB 3.0 interference 
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Optimize ack suppression
Turbo QAM
Airtime Fairness
Explicit Beamforming
Universal Beamforming

Set: Tx power adjustment full right to Performance

Select  Apply to save the changes.

Select 5.0 Ghz for Band:

Set the following to Enabled:

Enable TX Bursting
Enable WMM APSD
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Optimize ack suppression
Airtime Fairness
802.11ac Beamforming
Universal Beamforming

Set: Tx power adjustment full right to Performance

Select  Apply to save the changes.

Reboot the router.

To access the Hitron modem when its running in Bridge mode and the router is in full router mode, use 192.168.100.1 as the web browser address for the Hitron login page.  That can be used by any device connected to the Asus Router, regardless of wired or wifi connection.  By using that address with a device that is connected to the router, you don't have to rip apart your network, or connect a laptop directly to the modem in order access it.

Note that with the router, you have the option of keeping IPV6 disabled.  I believe that the default for the Asus routers is disabled.  That might prevent some ongoing issues with site accessibility, until Rogers has fully implemented IPV6. 

There are others on the site who also use Asus routers, so if you run into any issues, please let us know.

Edit:  Set the 5 Ghz channel to 149 or higher and try the 40 Mhz bandwidth setting.  I don't know if the bandwidth setting for the AC1200 will go to 80 Mhz or not, so, if so, that is something that is worth experimenting with.  The trade off is higher data rates at close ranges to the router, versus spreading out the power output across a larger bandwidth which can reduce the range.  Even if you try a higher bandwidth setting, ie: 80 Mhz, if the co-channel is occupied at the receiving end, the transmitting device will default back to the normal channel bandwidth, which in the 5 Ghz band is 40 Mhz. 

The higher channels have a higher allowed power output, which will help with range to the remote device and data rates.   This is where the newer, licenced version of inSSIDer comes into play so that you can see who else is running a network in those upper channels and work around them, if that's possible. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Glad to see that people that know what's going on still have trouble

2 cents worth 

- had to get cgn2 for upgrade

- connection dropping frequently on pc and mobile

- got another cgn2 - same problem

- got a wireless router - no problem

- rogers should provide ‎inSSIDer- whoops - might show their modem is no good

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@artgirl

I recently configured a friend's system with similar hardware as you.  What I did was as follows:

1) for windows PC:  download http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

this is a FREE utility that will scan your area to determine what is the best channel to use for 2.4, etc.

2) On the router, set the 2.4 to wireless N only and select a channel that is least used.  Remember channels 1, 6, 11 are the best ones to use and of the 3, find the best one.  Also, keep the channel set to 20 Mhz as there may be other networks in the area and 40 mhz wide channel can cause issues.

3) for the 5 Ghz, set it to any modulation (n, ac, etc.) and set a channel at 149 or above as this gives you the max speed.

4) Make sure all encryption is set to WPA2 infrastructure mode

5) save the settings, wait a couple of minutes and then unplug the power from the router and plug it back in 3 minutes.  that will flush the buffers and restart everything.  you should be good to go now.

Keep in mind that unless you have high end 3x3 AC based network cards, it will rarely match the speed of wired.  Granted your speed setting is low so you can get the most out of it.  Using the above hardware and the steps I listed you should be just fine.