High ping spikes / jitter. Speed is normal.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: High ping spikes / jitter. Speed is normal.

That's not true. I have the cgn3acmr and I still experience high ping and jitter I have swapped my modem 3 times had tech/ supervisor tech come out still not resolved been going on for months and months.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive they were talking the high ping between the PC and the modem/router itself.  
This should be resloved.

To an outside source, thats may be a  different story.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink @Gdkitty

Can you guys make out something from this screenshot i took? 

http://image.prntscr.com/image/1ffeb55011184f15bda2249493627bbe.png

I'm a Regular

T3 Timeout ( Ranging Request Retries Exhausted )

Explanation: The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem’s power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process.

I'm a Regular

@lvectorA

You only have a couple of T3's a day max according to your event log.  That just causes some hanging or a brief disconnect when it happens (once or twice a day).

The real issue for gaming or streaming is the lag withing the CGN3 cable modem.  The spikes are many per minute.  Pinging 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 tells the story.

To get rid of the DCHP RENEW warnings, you can raise your lease time on the Basic tab next to Status.  Reserving an I.P. using DHCP reservation is not a bad idea.   Renewing your I.P. every 30 minutes (the default) can cause interruptions / disconnects.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/LAN-connectivity-interrupted-while-renewing-IP...

I'm a Regular

Just noticed some DHCP RENEW warnings in my own event log.  The MAC address on the warnings match the T3 Timeouts and the renewal of your cable modem's I.P.  They are related to the T3 timeouts, not your own I.P. renewals in your home network as indicated in my previous post.  

About I.P. renewals for your own devices, its better to increase the lease time.  I keep mine on Forever to avoid any disruptions.

For WiFi, its better to pick a channel that works well and set it permanently.  This avoids disruptions / disconnects as well.

If Rogers can stop the T3 timeouts on their equipment once and for all, that would be great.  They continue to occur even when everything is within spec in the CGN3 DOCSIS WAN.  So what's the problem, Rogers?  How many years has it been now?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

From this:

http://image.prntscr.com/image/3a7d63704a654e71b7929e50a40f66e8.png

To this:

http://image.prntscr.com/image/66f8d136d60547149dbfe6eda0681ffb.png

One may ask how?

Simple. Switched to Teksavvy DSL (Bell).

I would have completely switched from Rogers to Teksavvy granted my building had more than 5/1 speeds. I will still keep Rogers for downloading large files and for multiple users, though the difference is literally day and night. I cannot believe how ignorant i was all this time. For those of you looking for good gaming internet services, go Bell. 

I hope Rogers can sort out their problems fast, otherwise things dont look good.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lvectorA, if you read thru this post, you will see the "sorting out" is already underway.  In fact, from what I can see arount the net, Rogers is the only ISP sorting out this particular problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/369...

Actually I see that you've already read thru that post, so, you know that changes to the firmware are on the horizon.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink With all due respect, Rogers has been solving this problem since at least 4 years now. Also Rogers is the only ISP sorting out this problem because (as long as i know) other indepandant ISPs don't have such problem. Please refer to the screenshot.

Nonetheless, I truly hope Rogers will be able to successfully fix their problems. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well...... for this particular issue which is a chipset issue, its been 4 months since "Go" time, when the investigation first started and the first firmware version has been pushed out to the test CGN3ACSMR group.  Presumably it won't be long before that is pushed out network wide, but thats just speculation on my part.  

As far as other independent ISPs, I won't name them, but, any ISP that allows a Cisco DCP-3848V or a CDA-3 onto their network has this exact same issue to deal with, but, they and most of their user community just don't know it yet.  Those modems are also Puma 6-MG chipset modems, so, same chipset, same issues.