High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

While yes, there can still be an issue with the local node.. which may not be working properly with the new modems properly..

It can quite possibly be an issue with signal levels with the new modem.

The old modems (like the cisco), are only 8 channel modems.  They only use up to a specific frequency range.

The new ones use 20 channels (of 24), which require a much wider range of frequencies.  There is a possiblity if there is a problem effecting on partcular part of the frequency range (this is quite common when splitters go bad) that it is effecting some of the channel ranges that are now available on the new modem, which you did not access on the old one.

Again, not saying that there isnt a problem.  Or just something to the local node.
People are just process of elimination the above out (as there are some who we have found have out of wack signals)

But the MODEMS and PLANS, are more than enough capable of doing the new plans.  There are a number of users here on 100u or higher plans, who are able to get the speeds and not have ping/jitter issues either.

(and i am on 100u, and quite far away from the closest node (up near lake simcoe), and am fine)
Its not a GOBAL issue with the

I Plan to Stick Around

This is basically the last straw with rogers

Been about 2 months now and this issue still contiunes. When i ping my local gateway i get anywhere from 3ms to 35 ms 

never consistent and always spiking. When watching videos online, or in an onine game it is litteraly the most frustrating thing ever. Two tech came, and apprently everything is fine from rogers end. The lastest one actually tried to make a difference, he tried 3 different modems and all three had the same problem. Apprently the fibre cables in my area might be the issue, he said he'll tell rogers so they can fix it... Yeah right, like rogers will actually spend anytime on making sure things work, just get the most money you can and worry about everything else later. Im gonna give this one more week, if nothing changes I'm asking for full refund and breaking away from this cancer company.

This issue happens from 2pm to 3 am on weekdays, and from 11am - 2am on weekends. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The jumping pings on the local gateway.. is a bug or defeciency in the CGN3 ROUTER portion itself.

Unfortunately really the only way to FIX it, is to bridge the device, turning it into a modem only, and use your own router.

Many users on her do not report the issue when bridging.

Should we have to, since its being provide to us?  No.

But this is generally the limitation of ANY gateway device.. there is not a good one reported on the market, across any provider here or in the US.

Its why almost all 3rd party providers, ONLY provide modem only.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I suspect the reason why there is these lag spikes is because the modem is configured to respond to icmp traffic in a very low priority. Typically you would see this silly type of optimization (QoS, COS, DSCP) to improve the quality of other types of network traffic. Other times, this types of optimization is because of hardware deficiencies, which would be weird for a modem like this.

Edit: I call it silly because COS/DSCP tagging of traffic requires a trust relationship throughout the network. Once the tag hits a forign network, you should not expect these tags to be respected in anyway. It'll also silly because ICMP doesn't require a lot of bandwidth to respond, unless you yourself are doing something silly such as an ICMP flood.

Should anyone be alarmed/care by the 20ms ping spikes by the Hitron modems? Now that we are aware of this behaviour, no. Should it handle the traffic better? Yes. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ping times to and through the Hitron modems and latency are known problems.  Anyone using a Hitron CGNV3 or CGNV4 modem will suffer from these issues, which includes Rogers and Shaw users.  Believe it or not, ping times have actually improved on the CNG3 with the latest firmware update, coming down from 100 ms ping times to 20 ms, give or take.  Rogers has asked Hitron to expedite a firmware update, and Hitron is probably still waiting for a firmware update from it's hardware supplier.  Once that happens, Rogers then has to test that update prior to general release.  So, unfortunately, at this point, we're all waiting for the update.  No amount of modem swapping will cure the situation, so, depending on your circumstance, you might decide to look for alternatives.  I've asked for more information regarding the issue and an update on a timeline for a fix, and have not heard anything as of yet. 

I Plan to Stick Around

- QoS OFF or ON make no difference on this modem, I've tried it several times on both bands.

I Plan to Stick Around

For about 2 months now maybe longer my interent ping and jitter has been awful. Throughout the day my interent for gaming or stremaing movies from netflix is basically a no go. I just want a explanation as to what the problem is and if it can be resolved.

Things done so far:

1) Called multiple techs to check the line signal as well as the modem, no problems there

2) Tried on multiple devices using a ethernet cable, still high ping

3) Used a different modem and router which my friend lent me, problem still occurs

http://gyazo.com/fe878e0a5ca7c166492a1f58ccbe5fc1

On a daily basis this is what my ping looks like when i attempt to ping www.google.com

When pinging my gateway

http://gyazo.com/88edd020ad59bfd9e2cd410b87e31e1f

When i used a different modem and router which my friend gave me, when pinging my router it was <1ms

However, when pinging googl.com the ping stayed the same

This usually happens during peak hours, basically from 4pm to about 1 am on weekdays

and from 12pm to 1 am on weekends.

This has been going on for way too long and im willing to give rogers another chance assuming this problem can be fixed soon

Any help at all will be appreciated. 

I live in Etobicoke, near royal york station

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, I hate to say this but yourself and everyone else with a Hitron CGN3, CGNACR or CGN3ACSMR are all in the same boat.  Have a look at my comments in the post which now sits three posts up from this post.

I Plan to Stick Around

How is it still possible that when i use a personal bought modem and router, which works fine with other ISPs, the issue still occurs?

I get the isse with the new rogers modem, but i tried it with completely different hardware

I Plan to Stick Around

On the sidenote, you mentioned Hitron CGN3, CGNACR or CGN3ACSMR. What's CGN3ACSMR? I thought there are only two versions, the Advanced and the AC...