High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

That it seems to be alot TIME related..

i am guessing its similar to what myself and some others may have experienced.

That timeframe.. it likely the HEAVIEST load in a subdivision/apartment, etc area.  People are done school, home from work.  more people on the net PERIOD at that time.. watching TV, etc.

In my case, from my understanding.. it was a LOAD issue.. weither on a line, at a local switching point, etc.. that when there was a heavier load in the evening.. it was causing issues.. failures, etc..
Took a few months, to get maintenance finally out to track it down and repair.
Took like a good 4+ of us on the street, litteraly calling in EVERY day for a few weeks.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's unfortunate as that sounds like what I'm experiencing in my area. If the senior tech's can't fix the issue after the level 1 tech creates the report this Tuesday, I'm going to do more research and see if other rogers customers in my area are also experiencing a poor connection.

I Plan to Stick Around

All the details of your problem matched mine and I've had about 10 different techs come, senior techs etc.
Gave up on it. The most recent one said there was no problem and packed up and left.

Oh and it's been like this since July 15 2014 and nothing has progressed forward. Hoping to see a solution from Rogers still.

Also edit: My ping has very little jitter at around 1-2am and 3am - 5am none! It's time related for me. There was none of this lag at any time of the day prior to mid July 2014.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What times were you having the techs out?  Closer to the times of the problem? or different times durring the day.

What i found helped while i had my issues.
Call in EVERY evening when i had the issue... had them check signal levels from their level and they confirmed there was an issue and recorded it.

Problem schedule a tech for the eve.  Call in next night, they see that there is a tech already scheduled.
Tech would often find no issues. 
But call in next night, and have them confirm bad signal levels again.

Schedule another tech (i had eve apointments so i didnt have to take any time off)

Having the continual techs out.. is wasting THEM money.. eventually had someone step up and escalate it i guess.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well the problem persists from approximately 8am to 3am the next day.
I Plan to Stick Around

UPDATE: Another tech comes to my house on March 16th. Replaces my cable feed to my house and tells me to swap my modem. I said my modem signals were fine and I don't want to replace the modem for the 4th time. Tells me it has to be a rogers "maintenance" issue and there is nothing he can do.

I tell him, "so that means you're going to write a report for a senior tech or supervisor to come right?"

He replies "No, I can't do that and I'm not allowed to request for senior tech to visit the area". He then just leaves my house.

This is frusturating because Rogers phone tech support told me that they can only get a supervisor or senior tech if the level one tech fills out a report and provides a confirmation number.

So I call Rogers phone tech support again and explain my situation. The tech on the phone tells me that he has filed a ticket for their engineers in the backend to trouble shoot the problem. He told me it should take up to 48 hours. I've had this done in the past 3 times already. I'm expecting an automated text message saying "The issue appears to be resolved"  while in fact nothing has changed, and that I will still continue to experience high pings and packet loss.

Oh well. Good luck to me I guess =( 

It's funny because I just had a bell sales rep talk to me indicating that my house qualifies for their 50/MBPS down and 10 MBPS up unlimited plan. Great price too, around $46 taxes in for the first year. I'll start to to do more research on Bell Fibre.  I don't need high speeds download speeds, but I do value low stable pings. 

I'll keep  everyone updated as promised.

Thanks! 

I Plan to Stick Around

UPDATE:

Noticed something weird...

When I do a speed test on http://www.speedtest.net, I noticed that my pings stabilize when the download test is being performed. However, once I do the upload test, my pings instantly jump to 200 ms + on each packet.

Very weird.... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like something is not provisioned right, around your upstream channels.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies.

Please click on the following link to see the results of 5x tracert on google.ca

http://snag.gy/hZbYe.jpg

It seems like I get constant packet loss on the second hop. 

EDIT:

Here are some results from tracert on rogers.com

http://snag.gy/qzF1C.jpg

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats