High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: High Pings and Ping Jitter with CGN3 and CGN3AC Modem

My ping has gotten so much worse after the senior techs visited and changed my router.  CommunityHelps just say their engineers and senior techs didnt find a problem.  Even though the senior techs that visited although couldn't detect why the problem was happening, they did acknowledge my ping problem.  I now no longer even have times where I have good ping.  It is currently 8 AM on Wednesday, I usually got perfect ping at this time but, now it is terrible too (the ping plot is from right now).  I guess if rogers cant find out why a problem is happening they just try to tell me there is no problem when there clearly is.  What terrible service.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1.  Which modem do you have now as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem?  It will be a CGN3, CGN3ACR or CGN3ACSMR.

2.  Is that ping plot done via ethernet or wifi connection?

3.  Have you sent a private message to @CommunityHelps yet?  If not, please follow that link and ask for further assistance from the mods thru that address.

Fwiw, you have packet losses and high pings starting at the first node beyond the modem.  So, something requires further investigation. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I had the CGN3ACR but they changed it to the CGN3.  It is done by ethernet.  I already messaged them but they said they found no problems and no packet loss was found.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you run pingplotter now, are you still seeing the packet loss showing up in red in the left hand column?

If so, call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on your modem looking for packet losses.  Also ask him or her to check other modems connected to your neighborhood node, also looking for packet losses.  Make sure your packet loss complaint is recorded on file.  Call in whenever you see packet loss at the first node beyond your modem.  Put tech support on speed dial and don't hesitate to use it.  Call in every day if its appropriate.  That will build a poor performance history pretty quickly.

I Plan to Stick Around

Although I didnt speak to a tier 2 csr, they have already checked for packet loss and couldn't detect it and they also said it wasn't the node.  Also if I were to switch ISPs to one that is under rogers would I have the same problem since it is most likely the node.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

" Although I didn't speak to a tier 2 csr, they have already checked for packet loss and couldn't detect it and they also said it wasn't the node.

So, was that from a few minutes ago, or was that from a previous conversation? 

If you were to switch to another ISP that uses Rogers distribution network you would see the same problem.  It would be worse as the large ISPs make the smaller ISPs, and their customers jump through numerous hoops and loops before dispatching any field techs.  The small ISPs rely on the major ISPs for installation and tech support as they are not allowed to provide their own field techs.   Both of those issues have been long standing complaints against the major ISPs. 

I would still like to know if that ping plot was done via ethernet or wifi connection?

I Plan to Stick Around

It was from CommunityHelps and the Senior techs not a few min ago.  I already stated when you asked that it was done by ethernet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, I missed the ethernet indication earlier....sorry.   That packet loss and ping time issue can change minute to minute.  So, if the one of the mods looked at the issue at some point, possibly a few minutes later or hours later either issue can arise once again.  That's why I indicated to call into tech support when you see packet loss or high ping time to the first node after the modem appear on the pingplotter display.  That problem is most likely load related, so, if it comes up at night or on the weekend it makes sense as your neighbors are home, gaming, streaming videos, etc, etc.  So, the load increases.  If there is an issue, it can arise as a signal problem, packet loss or high ping time issue.  You might see only one of those or more than one.  It depends on the node, the throughput load and your distance to the node, but, its very dynamic, it can come and go very quickly, or it can present itself and stay that way for several hours during the evening.  But, when it does come up, that's the time to ping off of tech support to check your modem and that of your neighbors.  If you see it on pingplotter, then most likely tech support should be able to detect it at the same time.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi guys, When playing CS GO and Leauge of legends my ping will spike for no reason to 150 + over the last few days, normally I get around 30 Ping in both games. I havnt changed any settings or anything. I tried resetting modem and all the basic thins I could do but cant seem to fix it. Any suggestions? Youtube and downlaoding works fine no issues with speed, and I did the speed test and my results seem normal: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5198203554

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks
Micahel  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1.  Are you running an ethernet or wifi connection?

2.   Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  You can copy and paste the text contents of the tables, so you don't have to  copy and post an image.

3.  The next  item to check is whether or not you are seeing any issues with the next node beyond the modem, either in terms of high ping times or packet losses.  If you load the freebie pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com, you can use that to determine if there are any issues between your pc and the end server you are connecting to.  When you have the program loaded run a test to something like www.google.ca  On the pingplotter display, right click to bring up the menu items.  Select "Customize View" and select all of the items for display.  

Looking at that display will tell you if you have any issues with the nodes that are in use between your pc, up to and including the end server.  What you shouldn't see are any excessive ping times or packet losses, especially at the first node beyond the router.   You can extract the data from pingplotter by using the Edit .... Copy as Image or Copy as Text option.  If you capture the image, you can paste that into something like MS Paint and then insert that saved image into a post, or paste the text into a posting so that we can have a look at it.  The mods will have to approve the image for public display before it will be visible to everyone.